Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Tragedy in Solihull

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
To protect the public, prevent crime (ie keep law and order) including protecting people at risk of being victims of crime, arrest perpetrators and investigate crime.

FROM SUSSEX POLICE guidelines on water rescue
3.1 Surrey Police and Sussex Police understand that police officers and staff would feel an overwhelming responsibility to attempt a water rescue. However, it is imperative that officers do not put themselves, colleagues or members of the public at risk.
3.2 Whilst our duty will always be to protect life and limb, police officers and staff should not put themselves in unnecessary danger by trying to undertake a rescue they are not trained or equipped to undertake. They are NOT required to enter water but are expected to carry out a dynamic Risk Assessment of the situation with the assistance of the Authorised Profession Practice (APP) National Decision Model (NDM) to determine the next course of action and whether it is safe to attempt a rescue.

(I think if you read the above link you will be relieved to know that you are not the only member of the public to think the police should dive in to water at the first sign of trouble regardless of the risk to themselves!)
So on Sunday when they arrived they weren't required to enter the water but expected to carry out a 'dynamic risk assessment' well that was really going to help the poor children who were drowning. But hey as long as the APP and NDM are happy that's all ok then.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I have not seen reports that a Police officer died trying to rescue the children?
True, so they got their risk assessment right (although it's always fine margins - if the fourth little boy had died as well they would have risked their lives for no purpose).

Before anybody quibbles, I salute their bravery in attempting a rescue, and hope against hope that the one little lad survives..

Last edited:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Just so tragic for the boys and especially their families to lose them at this time of year. Hopefully the 6yr old makes it through and recovers. Must be gut wrenching for all the rescuers as well. Let's hope they and the families get all the support they need to help them through these difficult times.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
So on Sunday when they arrived they weren't required to enter the water but expected to carry out a 'dynamic risk assessment' well that was really going to help the poor children who were drowning. But hey as long as the APP and NDM are happy that's all ok then.
Why are you so aggressive and sarcastic about this? It doesn’t say ‘they weren’t required‘ to enter the water, it says they should not attempt a rescue that ‘they are untrained or unequipped to do’. Children have tragically died and a policeman ended up with hyperthermia trying to save them. Have you any idea how traumatic that will be for him that he was unable to do so? He will live with that his whole life. Have some compassion - all you seem to be doing is finding ways to cast blame and point score at the first responder policeman who waded into freezing water at the risk to his own life to try and save the lads. I’m shocked that you think arguing about that is even appropriate in this situation. It is an awful thing that happened to all involved but don’t try and rationalise it by allocating blame where it does not belong.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
She was 33, only 4 years younger than me, but my mate’s a bit older than I am and had her very young (mid-teens).

She was unable to walk from birth so was wheelchair bound but a very bright, independent lady nonetheless. I don’t know what the cause of the fire was, nor whether her not being able to walk was a factor or not, but to lose your child like that out of the blue, in the middle of the day, must beyond agonising.

Understandably, I think the family are struggling to come to terms with it. The funeral will be the first time I have seen them since it happened; I’ve no idea what I’ll say.
Yep, I don't have the words for how awful that must be

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
Why are you so aggressive and sarcastic about this? Children have tragically died and a policeman ended up with hyperthermia trying to save them. Have you any idea how traumatic that will be for him that he was unable to do so? He will live with that his whole life. Have some compassion - all you seem to be doing is finding ways to cast blame and point score at the first responder policeman who waded into freezing water at the risk to his own life to try and save the lads. I’m shocked that you think arguing about that is even appropriate in this situation. It is an awful thing that happened to all involved but don’t try and rationalise it by allocating blame where it does not belong.
I'm not being in the least bit aggressive about it but concede a certain amount of sarcasm when I read about 'APP' and 'NDM'. I've nothing but admiration for the guy who dived in to try and save the little boys, as indeed I've nothing but admiration for anyone in the emergency services. I'm not trying to cast blame or point score at all nor am I 'allocating blame' but my original point remains and that I believe being in the emergency services carries a risk and that on sunday the first on the scene should've done all they could to rescue those poor little boys regardless of 'APP' and 'NDM.' So if that makes me a callous **** and gets me banned then so be it. Goodnight.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But absolutely I think on Sunday afternoon the Police who attended had an absolute duty to do all they could to try and rescue the children and if it entailed risking their own lives to do it then so be it, if you don't want to be exposed to risk then working in the emergency services isn't a job for you.
I disagree with you. It should go without saying, but not all risks are equal, and not all have the same chance of success. There comes a point when the risk to the professional becomes quite high, and the chance of their efforts saving anyone becomes small. I have no idea how much risk the police were at on this occasion, or how much chance they had of saving the kids, and I don't imagine you do either. I certainly don't think they or any other profession are always obliged to risk their own life.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I believe being in the emergency services carries a risk and that on sunday the first on the scene should've done all they could to rescue those poor little boys regardless of 'APP' and 'NDM.' So if that makes me a callous **** and gets me banned then so be it. Goodnight.
It does and they did. All the protocols they should follow I posted above, including risk assessment. Of course there will be an investigation and thorough evaluation of rescue efforts - there always are.

I don’t think you being ’callous’ btw - far from it - clearly you are deeply moved and upset about it - I do think you are not well informed on this occasion but AFAIK, that’s not a bannable offence on NSC otherwise half the membership, including myself would lose our membership overnight 😂

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Would imagine to be in the Police force you need to be able to swim.

Ok so answer me this: On Sunday when the police arrived at the scene knowing there was 3 children drowning, what course of action should they have taken?
Is it? You seem to know most things. And what about conditions? Is it just calm water? Currents less than 10 knots? Aqua-blue or more of quarry-brown only? Seems all the water dangers people (of any age) are warned about don’t apply if you’re in uniform. Even if you can’t swim. Instead, it’s “their job” even if they know they’ll die. According to you anyway. Very good of you to tell others they should add to tragedy and lose their lives. Meanwhile, back in the real world…

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
Is it? You seem to know most things. And what about conditions? Is it just calm water? Currents less than 10 knots? Aqua-blue or more of quarry-brown only? Seems all the water dangers people (of any age) are warned about don’t apply if you’re in uniform. Even if you can’t swim. Instead, it’s “their job” even if they know they’ll die. According to you anyway. Very good of you to tell others they should add to tragedy and lose their lives. Meanwhile, back in the real world…
Yes the world I live in.
I don't know for sure but I imagine you need to be able to swim to be in the Police.
Conditions? Would imagine a frozen lake would've been very calm.
I'm not advocating the Police jump off Tower Bridge to rescue someone or take risks that would involve them most likely losing their lives, far from it, but in the case of Solihull to me with 3 children drowning it absolutely was their job to do all they could to rescue them regardless of 'dynamic risk assessments.'

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I don't know for sure but I imagine you need to be able to swim to be in the Police.
No, not an essential requirement for most police forces
Conditions? Would imagine a frozen lake would've been very calm.
Again showing in this matter that you are not well informed - not just to the facts of the particular incidence but generally on the life threatening risks of being submerged in frozen water:

- it is almost impossible to get yourself out of water if you have fallen through ice - there is nothing to get your feet onto and nothing to grab onto except a sheet of slippery ice - likely breaking off the more you try and grab it

- ‘calmness’ has nothing to do with it - any water below 15* can start inducing circulatory problems and hypothermia immediately - the water at Solihul was below freezing - cold water shock restricts the blood vessels and puts pressure on the heart to pump blood round the body which causes a dangerous rise in blood pressure. Movements become sluggish again almost immediately and lethargy starts setting in under 3 mins - eventually resulting in cardiac arrest and/or drowning possibly within 30 mins depending on the water temperature.

A57D6F80-8E17-4FA7-9A0D-99981E31E28F.jpeg

but in the case of Solihull to me with 3 children drowning it absolutely was their job to do all they could to rescue them regardless of 'dynamic risk assessments.'
Not going to answer this again, several members here have tried to explain why this is an incorrect interpretation of a first responder’s job - while I get your ‘absolutism’ from a moral point of view your obtuseness in understanding professional standards of risk assessment or why it’s even necessary to prevent further loss of life, is beginning to look like attention seeking tbh.🙄

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
No, not an essential requirement for most police forces

Again showing in this matter that you are not well informed - not just to the facts of the particular incidence but generally on the life threatening risks of being submerged in frozen water:

- it is almost impossible to get yourself out of water if you have fallen through ice - there is nothing to get your feet onto and nothing to grab onto except a sheet of slippery ice - likely breaking off the more you try and grab it

- ‘calmness’ has nothing to do with it - any water below 15* can start inducing circulatory problems and hypothermia immediately - the water at Solihul was below freezing - cold water shock restricts the blood vessels and puts pressure on the heart to pump blood round the body which causes a dangerous rise in blood pressure. Movements become sluggish again almost immediately and lethargy starts setting in under 3 mins - eventually resulting in cardiac arrest and/or drowning possibly within 30 mins depending on the water temperature.

View attachment 154704

Not going to answer this again, several members here have tried to explain why this is an incorrect interpretation of a first responder’s job - while I get your ‘absolutism’ from a moral point of view your obtuseness in understanding professional standards of risk assessment or why it’s even necessary to prevent further loss of life, is beginning to look like attention seeking tbh.🙄
Fair enough and thanks for taking the time to post this.

Not attention seeking, just expressing a view on a chat forum.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I sometimes wonder if Corwallboy is Dezerbi,s alter ego...?

Both, go on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

They are an absolute blessing in disguise to each other, who continue relentlessly, and adding to a posting count so far above the norm.

Tedious.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It was a tragedy, but an avoidable one. I believe the kids were all 11 and younger. Were their parents supervising or even with them?
I was playing out unsupervised from the age of about 8. If I had been with my older brother (three year older) I would have gone out younger. I was walking to school on my own from 6.

The world is no more dangerous than then. Most kids have more communication opportunities now too. The parents are not to blame for letting their kids go out and be kids.

Every now and then there is a tragedy. It's very sad when it happens, like in this case. The only thing to blame is the cards life deals sometimes. And it's dealt some rotten ones here.

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sadly the 4th child has passed away 😪😪😪💔💔💔
Awful news. It’s obviously terrible when any child dies but especially at this time of year. RIP

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I always thought that you are supposed to ensure you will be safe before trying to rescue someone. For example if an aircraft decompresses, aren't you supposed to put your oxygen mask on first before putting on a child's?

A dead hero / heroine is no good to anyone.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I always thought that you are supposed to ensure you will be safe before trying to rescue someone. For example if an aircraft decompresses, aren't you supposed to put your oxygen mask on first before putting on a child's?

A dead hero / heroine is no good to anyone.
Not really true though. There are plenty of examples where someone had suffered the ultimate cost whilst saving someone. Case earlier this year of a father that dived into lake Garda, saved his son but he sadly drowned.

And another,

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Oh dear God..! Now I'm getting PMs from Dezerbi...!

If you read this Mr.Dezerbi from the far away East coast of England who joined co-incidentally just a few days after Cornwallboy on the West coast of England and have both become prolific posters since playing "good cop" Bad cop" throughout this rather sad thread........

Would you please never...ever ....send me a PM again.

That is " NEVER" , "EVER" in case you haven't grasped it the first time. As a point of principal, I block no-one on this forum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here