Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Tragedy in Solihull

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

No words really, aside from the immediate loss of life, so many other lives will be changed forever due to these tragic events.

So when all of us moan about this or that, you know all the 'important stuff' which turns out to be really trivial, we all need to take a step back.

Mods can you correct my spelling in the title please?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
So terrible. Have to speak firmly to your kids because frozen water such an attraction

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
My mum's cousin died ice skating on one of Berlin's frozen lakes when he was just 12 years old, she never let me anywhere near ice growing up and I'm pretty terrified of it! Such a heartbreaking story.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
My mum's cousin died ice skating on one of Berlin's frozen lakes when he was just 12 years old, she never let me anywhere near ice growing up and I'm pretty terrified of it! Such a heartbreaking story.
A wise lady your mum, a good friend of my parents died in much the same way when attempting to ice skate on the Thames when it froze over in the infamous winter of 1963..

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
It was a tragedy, but an avoidable one. I believe the kids were all 11 and younger. Were their parents supervising or even with them?
Bit early for the blame game, I was out unsupervised at that age nearly all day at the weekends, building dens etc.
Also many a time when we would go on walks with our parents at the weekend, with also family and friends, we would run on ahead or lag behind as the parents chatted, only takes a second for the ice to break, we do not know anything, one goes through the others try and help, it must be truly awful for all involved, there are going to be parents heartbroken this Christmas.

Think on

Greenbag50

Jun 1, 2016
Bit early for the blame game, I was out unsupervised at that age nearly all day at the weekends, building dens etc.
Also many a time when we would go on walks with our parents at the weekend, with also family and friends, we would run on ahead or lag behind as the parents chatted, only takes a second for the ice to break, we do not know anything, one goes through the others try and help, it must be truly awful for all involved, there are going to be parents heartbroken this Christmas.

Think on
Which is why I was asking the question

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Really upsetting story. My kids are 9 and 6, and whilst I like to think I wouldn’t allow them to get into such a predicament you can’t keep your eyes on them 100% of the time.

On Thursday I am attending the funeral of my best mate’s daughter. About a month ago, her grandmother left her house at 3:20pm, with everything fine in the world. By 3:45pm she had died in a house fire.

Life is fragile. It can be taken away, without warning, in an instant. It’s easy to forget, but don’t waste time worrying, getting frustrated or falling out over trivial things. Shít ain’t worth it.

RIP young’uns. x

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Think on

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Think on
Absolutely this, plus it's wonderful thing hindsight. either way l'm sure their parents and family are still just as devastated, wether they were supervised or not.

Although it was a very different world then, back in the late 1960's when l was a similar age l always seemed to be out and about with my mates, either playing football in the street or riding my bike somewhere probably unknown to my parents.

I think tragedy can happen anywhere, even when supervised.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It was a tragedy, but an avoidable one. I believe the kids were all 11 and younger. Were their parents supervising or even with them?
The kids were 8, 10 and 11. Is it reasonable to allow them out unsupervised? Genuine question. Let us know where you’re going, call if you need us, be sensible, be back by x o’clock?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Remember getting a bollocking as a kid for doing precisely that at same age. There but for the grace of god…

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The kids were 8, 10 and 11. Is it reasonable to allow them out unsupervised? Genuine question. Let us know where you’re going, call if you need us, be sensible, be back by x o’clock?
In retrospect, when I was a Nipper I used to go and cycle out into the Countryside for miles on my own. From memory around 9-10 years old?

No mobile back then, didn't know where I was going except probably around Delamere Forest and never gave an ETA except for obvious one - I'll be back for Tea Time...

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Im not blaming anyone as I don’t have all the facts but a responsible parent should not be leaving their 11 year old children without adult supervision alone especially near water. . An 11 year old is a child .

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Awful. We worry about this at the fishing club……..one of our lakes in particular has very busy public footpaths around it and is a popular local spot. We had a few incidents in the summer (one resulting in a kid being hospitalised for 10 days with various infections after gashing his leg on something under the water and a couple of dogs injured all despite ‘keep out of the water‘ signs). This is the first time it’s been properly frozen over for years and already warned someone who was standing on it (right on the edge, but it’s a straight drop where they were stood).

Despite the warnings and incidents, still got told to ‘**** off, you can’t stop me’ by ‘Karen off Facebook’ in the summer when I suggested she might be better off not letting her dog go in the water 🤷‍♂️

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's very sad but, just one of hundreds of different unlucky/ unfortunate acts that can lead to tragedy. Water in particular can be a beguiling killer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here