Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Tragedy in Solihull

Greenbag50

Jun 1, 2016
The kids were 8, 10 and 11. Is it reasonable to allow them out unsupervised? Genuine question. Let us know where you’re going, call if you need us, be sensible, be back by x o’clock?
In my mind, no it’s not reasonable. Of course parents know their kids best, so have to make a judgement based on a number of factors, including where they’re going, what are risks etc.
I’m a parent of a 15 and 12 year old. No way would I have allowed either of them to go out alone at that age, (even though I had the freedom when I was their age to be out all day without mobile, be back back before dark etc)
I knew what I got up to and had some lucky escapes, so am a bit more aware of the risks based on my own experiences.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The kids were 8, 10 and 11. Is it reasonable to allow them out unsupervised? Genuine question. Let us know where you’re going, call if you need us, be sensible, be back by x o’clock?
Personally I think so.

Read some article about how for every generation, kids have been allowed to go out less (and shorter distances) on their own. Don't think it is a good thing. Yes, there's risks with letting them out on their own but they'll learn a lot and have a lot of fun when out on adventures, shouldn't deny them that just because locking them up in the basement would be the safest option.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Cold water shock is so dangerous, let alone ice.

Some kids died in the Thames near my home and it occurred in May. Despite the warm weather at the time water temp was only about 10c

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Bit early for the blame game, I was out unsupervised at that age nearly all day at the weekends, building dens etc.
Also many a time when we would go on walks with our parents at the weekend, with also family and friends, we would run on ahead or lag behind as the parents chatted, only takes a second for the ice to break, we do not know anything, one goes through the others try and help, it must be truly awful for all involved, there are going to be parents heartbroken this Christmas.

Think on
My point in the original post, it’s not just about the three youngsters who’ve sadly died, there will be so many people connected to this, family, extended family, friends, emergency service workers whose lives will never be the same after the events of yesterday.

Sadly it just won’t be people heartbroken for just this Xmas, it will possibly be every Xmas for the rest of their lives 😞

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In retrospect, when I was a Nipper I used to go and cycle out into the Countryside for miles on my own. From memory around 9-10 years old?

No mobile back then, didn't know where I was going except probably around Delamere Forest and never gave an ETA except for obvious one - I'll be back for Tea Time...
Same here. I grew up in Newhaven in the late 70s/early 80s. I was always out on my bike, exploring and playing in woods, on the beach, the piers, the fort before it was renovated etc.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The concept of Water being dangerous (especially at this time of year) should be drilled into Children.

When I did my North Sea Offshore survival course I was told some people die straight away from Cold Water Shock on immersion, that you have no more than 10 minutes to death in normal clothing and even with a Survival Suit you are lucky to do 30 minutes.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
A very sad news story, made worse with xmas approaching. Obviously it is something that could have been avoided but kids will be kids.

Sounds like there was little hope once they pulled them out and they probably spent the time bringing their temperature slowly back to normal. There's a horrible but true saying, you're not dead until till you're warm and dead.

Praise to the Police that entered the water to try and save them. Credit to the fire service as well although they did have the benefit of special equipment which the Police didn't.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Yes.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Amazingly there are reports today of kids doing the same thing elsewhere around the country.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Same here. I grew up in Newhaven in the late 70s/early 80s. I was always out on my bike, exploring and playing in woods, on the beach, the piers, the fort before it was renovated etc.
Yep! I can't blame the parent's for letting them do what we all did, when we were young. Can't imagine how devastating it is for them.

I remember when I was younger there were loads of information films on TV, stranger danger, electric pylons, green cross code, fireworks, trainlines, I am sure there would have been one about ice. it was easy to get kids to see these then as they just put them in during the two hours of TV that was on between 3pm and the News. How you would get kids to see these now and take them seriously, I don't know.

RIP little ones.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Dreadful tragedy and, as a parent, I'm always of the opinion 'there but for the grace of God' :down:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The concept of Water being dangerous (especially at this time of year) should be drilled into Children.

When I did my North Sea Offshore survival course I was told some people die straight away from Cold Water Shock on immersion, that you have no more than 10 minutes to death in normal clothing and even with a Survival Suit you are lucky to do 30 minutes.
It is. Some take more notice than others. Life is risky. Even in childhood. All of us can recall incidents where things might have been very different, and we’ve all probably forgotten many many more. There but for the grace is really the best summation of this tragedy. And life in general.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Yep! I can't blame the parent's for letting them do what we all did, when we were young. Can't imagine how devastating it is for them.

I remember when I was younger there were loads of information films on TV, stranger danger, electric pylons, green cross code, fireworks, trainlines, I am sure there would have been one about ice. it was easy to get kids to see these then as they just put them in during the two hours of TV that was on between 3pm and the News. How you would get kids to see these now and take them seriously, I don't know.

RIP little ones.
Maybe if it's not done already schools,i don't think that the likes of public information films would be shown today as being deemed to scary,but wasn't that the point?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here