Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Toy collecting

Exilegull

Mar 14, 2024
Started to collect vintage toys four years ago. Had a friend who was into it but I thought odd almost perverted. But then I fell over a Turtles figure I had as a kid and I got stuck.
Anyone else in to toy collecting? Also if you have 70s 80s 90s toys you can post photos of them here or PM me and I can tell you the value. Star Wars Transformers and Turtles most valueable rn but lots of hidden gems around lots of £100-£1000 objects just laying around collecting dust in boxes and storages.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not vintage but I make wooden ships which take on average a year or so

Problem is they are so big that I have run out of room to store them

So for example I made a ship called L’hermione which took just over 2 years and is about 2 foot long and with full masts and sails about 3 ft high

I need the space and don’t want to bin it but I don’t want to put it on eBay as I have no idea how to get it to someone … it’s obviously fragile , or how much to ask for it . I just want someone to have the t. I have a few other kits the same

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I try my best not to collect Subbuteo stuff. But there is a huge following amongst my age group.

I have to play matches against myself, alas. 9 year old me would have ran rings in a match.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I still have a six million dollar man action doll, my mum didn‘t want to buy it for me as it was a “boys” toy, but it was more interesting than a Sindy doll. I also liked match box cars and playing football. Unusual for a girl in the 70s, but I had three older brothers.

I don’t think I have changed much, on the train home from Liverpool, knowing the internet service on a train is normally piss poor, I pulled out my copy of ”Ride” motorcycle magazine to read .

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

So for example I made a ship called L’hermione which took just over 2 years and is about 2 foot long and with full masts and sails about 3 ft high

I need the space and don’t want to bin it but I don’t want to put it on eBay as I have no idea how to get it to someone … it’s obviously fragile , or how much to ask for it . I just want someone to have the t. I have a few other kits the same
Facebook marketplace or eBay with collection only might work.

Exilegull

Mar 14, 2024

When I was kid mum had a friend from Greece who made wooden ships not that fragile though quite basic. He gave 3 of them to me on birthdays etc. Had so much joy with them. Last year some 35 years later he asked my mum if we still had them so he could give them to his grandkids. Said and done great to know these handmade ships used by another generation. Am 99 % sure theres a Facebook group where you can others with input on that interest and doing buying and selling

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

If you know any small people, you could sail it to them?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

On a more serious note, have you thought of donating them to local / maritime museums?

I’m sure they would collect from you and even though you won’t profit, would be nice to know lots of people would be able to see your work?

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
My neighbour has an insane amount of vintage toys, most in original packaging, his last best guess was in excess of £250k for the lot.
It's come at a terrible cost though, he's in his 50's, still lives with his parents and is a virgin.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I do have one of the original Turtles figures somewhere in my parents loft but it's unboxed and damaged so worth pretty much nothing I should think.

As an adult with some disposable income though I do buy new sets of toys. I'm a big Ghostbusters fan and have three full sets of those all boxed up, plus a couple unboxed scattered around.

Have a couple of sets of newer Turtles figures. A couple of wrestling figures. A bunch of Lego.

Used to feel a bit embarrassed if I'm honest but got over that eventually.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I have a loft full of my childhood toys from the 70's and 80's.
Subbuteo
Hornby railway Flying Scotsman sets x 2
Stars wars figures and millennium falcon etc
Spectrum + with 100+ games
Board games like Ker-plunk, frustration, guess who etc
Weebles
Action men
Scalextric
Model cars
Loads more

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
My neighbour has an insane amount of vintage toys, most in original packaging, his last best guess was in excess of £250k for the lot.
It's come at a terrible cost though, he's in his 50's, still lives with his parents and is a virgin.
Are you planning on getting your own place 🤔

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
Check out Retro by Ronnie in Goring. It’s on an old bank site and has loads of vintage toys. You can even go into the old vault for the valuable bits. I’ve spent a good few hours wishing I had money to spend in there…

curly69

Jan 4, 2006
sydney
Yes I do have a large collection of models of yesteryear some are worth alot of money, and model trains over 200,star wars stuff,and over 80 Brighton shirts not toys but just wanted to add them 😀

Exilegull

Mar 14, 2024
I do have one of the original Turtles figures somewhere in my parents loft but it's unboxed and damaged so worth pretty much nothing I should think.

As an adult with some disposable income though I do buy new sets of toys. I'm a big Ghostbusters fan and have three full sets of those all boxed up, plus a couple unboxed scattered around.

Have a couple of sets of newer Turtles figures. A couple of wrestling figures. A bunch of Lego.

Used to feel a bit embarrassed if I'm honest but got over that eventually.
See if I get this multi quote right looks like it. When it comes to Turtles the actual Turtles are usually not the valuable ones but some of the side characters are worth a lot. Hotspot and Scratch are the "holy grails" they are both £2500-£4000 each. Love Ghostbusters as well often limited value but things like the Spook Chasers knock-offs are worth a lot.
I have a loft full of my childhood toys from the 70's and 80's.
Subbuteo
Hornby railway Flying Scotsman sets x 2
Stars wars figures and millennium falcon etc
Spectrum + with 100+ games
Board games like Ker-plunk, frustration, guess who etc
Weebles
Action men
Scalextric
Model cars
Loads more
Lot of fun stuff and value there have you looked up your Star Wars properly? The value there is mainly in accessories and The Last 17 which were the last 17 figures in the first generation Star Wars toys. All of those are worth decent money with Yak Face as the holy grail you can get £1000 for it or more. Better £1000 in the bank than a Yak Face in the loft as they say

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
See if I get this multi quote right looks like it. When it comes to Turtles the actual Turtles are usually not the valuable ones but some of the side characters are worth a lot. Hotspot and Scratch are the "holy grails" they are both £2500-£4000 each. Love Ghostbusters as well often limited value but things like the Spook Chasers knock-offs are worth a lot.

Lot of fun stuff and value there have you looked up your Star Wars properly? The value there is mainly in accessories and The Last 17 which were the last 17 figures in the first generation Star Wars toys. All of those are worth decent money with Yak Face as the holy grail you can get £1000 for it or more. Better £1000 in the bank than a Yak Face in the loft as they say
Multi-quoting like a pro!

One of my regrets in life is that when my Mum asked if I wanted to keep any of my old toys that I said no. Tons of 80s / early 90s stuff just ended up at the tip.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
IMG_2177.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here