Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Tour of the UK

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you want somewhere between Brecon and Liverpool, you should take them up to Snowdonia National Park.
You can also fly to some great destinations from Liverpool airport.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Canadian couple we met on holiday want to come over to the UK for a trip. I've to put together an itinary. Any thoughts.
Reckon land Heathrow.
3 days in London
2 days in Brighton
1 day Stonehenge & Bath.
West country, although nice, would add a couple of days. Would love to take them to a small fishing village though.
1 day Cotswolds
1 day Brecon Beacons
Need somewhere between Brecon and Liverpool. Maybe Manchester
2 days Liverpool
1 day Yorkshire Dales
2 days Lake District
From here they'll move on to Scotland for a week.
Is there too much countryside and not enough towns. They would like to
visit history, ruins and some Harry Potter places.
Far too packed.

I’d suggest maybe a day looking around Hampton Court? If you can time it with Evensong in the Kings Chapel, they’ll thank you for it.

Nothing else around there though except hotels. Molesey is a dump. So head off into London after.

Scoot up to Winchester. Fantastic day. Cathedral, university, etc.

Bin off the midlands.

Same with Liverpool. The people are ghastly. Head to the Peaks instead.

Keswick and Derwent Water in the lakes is a nice couple of days. Plenty to do but not hectic.

The countryside in the North is superb. The cities are not. With the exception of York.

Last edited:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Add Arundel to the list and get the walking tour around the town, book on facebook at £5 per person

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Another vote here for binning off Stonehenge.

Its a circle of rocks.

Nothing they see there will surprise or enlighten them beyond what they already know. And for the privilege they'll sit in the car for a couple of hours, and pay £20 to get 'in*'

*'In' actually being a fence a long way back from the stones themselves.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Stonehenge.
On holiday we call it the rocks in the ground but Yanks & Canadians are amazed by it. We have students working for us in the summer who put Bath & Stonehenge as two 'Must See' places.
Taking into account all the suggestions, I reckon
3 nights London to try to take in Harry Potter World
2 nights Brighton where we will join them and drive them around. Incl Arundel and local sights.
2 nights Bath to include Windsor & Stonehenge on the way there. Doable in 4 hours plus stoppage times.
2 nights Liverpool going via Cotswolds villages. 4 hours plus stoppages.
Finally off to York for 2 nights. We will leave them there were they can catch a train to Edinburgh.
Scotland they can either base themselves in Edinburgh and go on coach tours or hire a car.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I simply cannot fathom why someone would wish to travel to the other side of the globe to spend three days looking around Harry Potter world.

Absolute waste.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
A thread full of advice from people that (mainly) live in the south. :lolol:
London is a must obvs,
Oxford, so they can tell all their friends about somewhere theyll have heard of,
York is historical and fairly typical of oop north. Hire a car there and go up the Northumberland coast to....
Scotland, which is unmissable.
Anything else, I would say is a bonus.
Unless they have specific interests or wants.
Was going to suggest York, particularly as it's a wonderful city with Harry Potter connections. Diagon alley is believed to have been inspired by a street in the medieval shambles district.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I see the word 'Liverpool' is triggering some prejudiced comments. No suprise. If you are into the Beatles it's a great place to visit, other than that, the majority of scousers are not as people pejoratively describe them here but are open and warm hearted. The city centre is fantastic, only behind London in my opinion, and that's as it was for the most time the second city of the British Empire. If one likes architecture, it has the second highest number of listed buildings beside London as well.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Far too packed.

I’d suggest maybe a day looking around Hampton Court? If you can time it with Evensong in the Kings Chapel, they’ll thank you for it.

Nothing else around there though except hotels. Molesey is a dump. So head off into London after.

Bin off the midlands.

Keswick and Derwent Water in the lakes is a nice couple of days. Plenty to do but not hectic.

The countryside in the North is superb. The cities are not. With the exception of York.
They might not be toffs though :)

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
Stonehenge.
On holiday we call it the rocks in the ground but Yanks & Canadians are amazed by it. We have students working for us in the summer who put Bath & Stonehenge as two 'Must See' places.
Taking into account all the suggestions, I reckon
3 nights London to try to take in Harry Potter World
2 nights Brighton where we will join them and drive them around. Incl Arundel and local sights.
2 nights Bath to include Windsor & Stonehenge on the way there. Doable in 4 hours plus stoppage times.
2 nights Liverpool going via Cotswolds villages. 4 hours plus stoppages.
Finally off to York for 2 nights. We will leave them there were they can catch a train to Edinburgh.
Scotland they can either base themselves in Edinburgh and go on coach tours or hire a car.
Arundel ? They'll never have seen such shite road planning as the A27 !

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Far too packed.

Bin off the midlands.

And Durham.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Lake District - if they know Beatrix Potter's books, they would (almost certainly) like a look round her cottage at Hill Top. If they don't know the books, it's just a cottage.
Also drive over one of the passes (eg. Honister Pass, from Buttermere to Eskdale or vice versa), or Hardknott Pass, which may be like something they've not seen - depending which bit of Canada they know well!
Took the works electric BMW3i over this (and Wrynose) the other day for the first time. Surprisingly good, and no need to keep changing gears for the hairpins. Used up a decent amount of battery though!

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Be aware that a full day visiting somewhere is a two night stay.
You want to arrive the evening before, spend the day there, sleep the second night there and then travel to the next place.
It's about quality not quantity.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Took the works electric BMW3i over this (and Wrynose) the other day for the first time. Surprisingly good, and no need to keep changing gears for the hairpins. Used up a decent amount of battery though!
My brother once (30+ years ago) came across a group in an old camper van who had gone over one of the passes and were stuck between the two. The van wasn't powerful enough to go either west over Hardknott or east over Wrynose. They aren't still there, so they must have found a way - unless they buried the van where it stood!

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I agree. We’ve just got back from doing all the islands. The beaches are spectacular
Went there last year, camped at beach. Looked like Barbadous beach scene in the photos, clear blue sky, white sand and crystal clear water.

Just have to make sure you didn't catch people in coats in the picture. Beautiful place. Approaching 40 deg C in London when we went, 14, feels like 10 up there!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here