Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Tour of the UK

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Canadian couple we met on holiday want to come over to the UK for a trip. I've to put together an itinary. Any thoughts.
Reckon land Heathrow.
3 days in London
2 days in Brighton
1 day Stonehenge & Bath.
West country, although nice, would add a couple of days. Would love to take them to a small fishing village though.
1 day Cotswolds
1 day Brecon Beacons
Need somewhere between Brecon and Liverpool. Maybe Manchester
2 days Liverpool
1 day Yorkshire Dales
2 days Lake District
From here they'll move on to Scotland for a week.
Is there too much countryside and not enough towns. They would like to
visit history, ruins and some Harry Potter places.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
This schedule (arriving Newcastle; staying in Penrirth) caused quite a fuss...

Saturday - arrival, drive to time share, shop for incidentals, rest

Sunday - drive around Lake District get familiar driving on the opposite side of the road, seeing some sights but no strict agenda

Monday - Drive to Scotland, attempt to visit Glasgow and Edinburgh...Maybe just Glasgow. Maybe take a train instead? What do you think?

Tuesday/Wednesday - Husband and I are driving to Polperro Cornwall for hotel stay overnight. Train to Bodmin Parkway/Taxi to Polperro instead? Kids make their own plans.

Thursday - Take a train to and from London. Got tickets for GoldenTours 1 Day hop on hop off bus tour. See what we can, try to make it to the most iconic stops.

Friday - open. Rest if exhausted or try to see Stonehenge or a castle if ambitious.

Saturday - Day of departure.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Canadian couple we met on holiday want to come over to the UK for a trip. I've to put together an itinary. Any thoughts.
Reckon land Heathrow.
3 days in London
2 days in Brighton
1 day Stonehenge & Bath.
West country, although nice, would add a couple of days. Would love to take them to a small fishing village though.
1 day Cotswolds
1 day Brecon Beacons
2 days Liverpool
1 day Yorkshire Dales
2 days Lake District
I’d skip Brecon Beacons and go Cotswolds to Manchester ( two days and one day Liverpool).
Lots of great museums and historical sites in Manchester (yes really!) such as Central Library, Rylands library, Cheethams music school. Imperial war Museum in Media City. Is fantastic. The museum at Old Trafford is really interesting/sad in terms of the Munich air disaster.
Liverpool is a great city too with the three Graces, cavern Club etc.
Then a fairly short trip to the Lake District. They’ll need a quiet break!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
seems busy, and a lot of travel hither and thither, maybe thats what they want though.

i'd knock Breacon (long way for a day), and one of Yorkshire dales or Lakes. include York if they want Potter stuff.

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Reckon land Heathrow.
3 days in London
2 days in Brighton
1 day Stonehenge & Bath.
1 day Cotswolds
1 day Brecon Beacons
2 days Liverpool
1 day Yorkshire Dales
2 days Lake District
Outer Hebrides if they get time. Best beaches in the UK.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
That doesn’t sound like a holiday. More like an episode of Race across the World. Do they have to race to a particular hotel with instructions given at the last possible moment ? If they want to enjoy their break I would suggest going to one region and exploring it properly. We spent a lot of time in Asia but enjoyed the places we visited not the roads in between.

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Some distant relatives from Canada were going to come over for a week or so a few years back. They proposed to be in London - then they were going to pop up to the Lake District in a day, going via Wales. I pointed out that most of Wales was a long detour, especially in a day - but they wanted to go 'to see where Prince Charles and Diana came from'.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Thanks guys. A few thinking points.
Plan is to take our car and drive them and dump them in North, maybe lake district, where they hire a car for Scotland.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
This schedule (arriving Newcastle; staying in Penrirth) caused quite a fuss...

Saturday - arrival, drive to time share, shop for incidentals, rest

Sunday - drive around Lake District get familiar driving on the opposite side of the road, seeing some sights but no strict agenda

Monday - Drive to Scotland, attempt to visit Glasgow and Edinburgh...Maybe just Glasgow. Maybe take a train instead? What do you think?

Tuesday/Wednesday - Husband and I are driving to Polperro Cornwall for hotel stay overnight. Train to Bodmin Parkway/Taxi to Polperro instead? Kids make their own plans.

Thursday - Take a train to and from London. Got tickets for GoldenTours 1 Day hop on hop off bus tour. See what we can, try to make it to the most iconic stops.

Friday - open. Rest if exhausted or try to see Stonehenge or a castle if ambitious.

Saturday - Day of departure.

That must surely have been a huge whoosh?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The Jurassic coast is an absolute must in any itinerary more than a week.

I'd also recommend a day in Wiltshire and then between Brecon and Liverpool you've got the likes of Leicester and Shropshire (Ironbridge is rather nice and good for your history bits if that's what they're into).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here