Tour De France, ave that Millar

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Scotchlands finest David Millar hopefully unassisted by drugs (this time) had a blinder in todays stage of the tour and is now up to third overall, nice to have a brit with a real chance of winning this this year :thumbsup:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Scotchlands finest David Millar hopefully unassisted by drugs (this time) had a blinder in todays stage of the tour and is now up to third overall, nice to have a brit with a real chance of winning this this year :thumbsup:

I fear that Mr. Millar's chances of winning are directly inverse to the number of people supporting him. The moment a " Bandwagon" starts rolling and gathering momentum, the die is cast as they say. Recent bandwagons include Henman,Hamilton,Murray, peripheal team bandwagons include Flintoff, Wilkinson and even Beckham....... nuff said ?:dunce:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Tour De France ?........FANTASTIC EVENT !

I was cheering Millar on and jumping up and down like a looney last year on Goudhurst Hill as he shot past us in a lead break away group.

Cadel Evans as clear a favourite as there's ever been this year though it seems.

If Millar wears yellow in Paris I'll eat my hat.

For a true Scots cycling hero I think we'll be waiting a bloody long time before anyone even comes close to the legend that was the king of all mountains -ROBERT MILLAR.

Richard Moore's book...In Search of Robert Millar... is a cracking read from start to finish btw.

P.S. I haven't forgotten Graham Obree.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

A real chance of winning? I think YOU might be on drugs! Would love to be wrong but unfortunately I think today was Mr Millar's last real chance to wear yellow.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
when the road starst climbing on Thursday, I fear he'll be straight out the back.

Might grab a stage later in the race tho....

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
A real chance of winning? I think YOU might be on drugs! Would love to be wrong but unfortunately I think today was Mr Millar's last real chance to wear yellow.

True true.

Mark Cavendish has more chance of winning anything than David Millar.

Currently the fastest sprinter in the field, if his team can keep him in contention on bunch sprints, there's a real chance Cavendish could grab a stage win or two.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
He may have a chance on the transition stages (flat ones between the Pyrennes and Alps) he has won here before, and if he gets over the mountains another longer time trial.

He looked back to his best today in a brilliantly relaxed pose on the bike. I would love to see him win my 50p at 250/1 would buy me a nice dinner out. It would be excellent for him to make top 20.

Cannot wait until Thursday the first hills, lets hope Mark Cavendish get a chance to show he is the fastest sprinter in the world at the moment.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
True true.

Mark Cavendish has more chance of winning anything than David Millar.

Currently the fastest sprinter in the field, if his team can keep him in contention on bunch sprints, there's a real chance Cavendish could grab a stage win or two.

I think Millar has as much chance as Cavendish of still getting a stage win later on, I think rather than what his team can do the primary issue with Cavendish is if he's still alive and kicking in 2 weeks time or not. I was disappointed with him in stages 1-3 though (although 3 was the entire peloton cocking up), and I really don't think he seems to have the legs to be there when it counts tommorow. That and he has been coming accross as a right cock every time he's been interviewed in this tour!

Having said that, I didn't see any of the Giro which obviously proves he can do it!

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Millar was a tad unlucky today. I dont think anyone expeceted schumacher of the Gerolstiner squad to take it today. Shame there isnt another time-trial till the final week. I suppose our best chance of a stage win now is Cavendish, but hes running out of time. We enter the massif central on thursday, then straight on to the pyrenees. I just hope he can finish it this year, which would be an improvement on last year. kenyas favorate Brit Chris Froome is still hanging on. Cant see him staying there tough.

Evans to win the GC I reckon.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think Millar has as much chance as Cavendish of still getting a stage win later on, I think rather than what his team can do the primary issue with Cavendish is if he's still alive and kicking in 2 weeks time or not. I was disappointed with him in stages 1-3 though (although 3 was the entire peloton cocking up), and I really don't think he seems to have the legs to be there when it counts tommorow. That and he has been coming accross as a right cock every time he's been interviewed in this tour!

Having said that, I didn't see any of the Giro which obviously proves he can do it!

True true again.

Will be interesting to see if Cavendish can make it all the way to Paris.

I agree too about him being in there when it counts. That's why his team will have to work hard to keep him in contention near the front and really launch him at the finish line in true catapult stylee if he's to take a stage win.

Also agree about how he comes across in interviews. Mind you, perhaps that arrogance is what's needed to ultimately go on to win things ?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Millar isn't too good when it comes to the mountain stages. To win the Tour you need to win several stages , do well in the time trial stages and stay in with the leading group in the mountains.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Millar isn't too good when it comes to the mountain stages. To win the Tour you need to win several stages , do well in the time trial stages and stay in with the leading group in the mountains.

he held king of the mountains last year for about half of the tour (sic), I might have a serious punt on him winning the lot you know !!!!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Due to the large level of knowledgeable interest in the performance of Mr. Millar I can now refer you to my prevous post on this matter and soundly declare that he is " Stuffed "

If you lot had just kept an eye on him but not said anything he might have had a chance...:rant:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Due to the large level of knowledgeable interest in the performance of Mr. Millar I can now refer you to my prevous post on this matter and soundly declare that he is " Stuffed "

If you lot had just kept an eye on him but not said anything he might have had a chance...:rant:

have I f***ed it up ???

I usually laugh at road racers as I pass them on my mountain bike BUT Ive always found time to enjoy the 'Tour' sorry if Ive broken your roadie dreams !!!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
have I f***ed it up ???

I usually laugh at road racers as I pass them on my mountain bike BUT Ive always found time to enjoy the 'Tour' sorry if Ive broken your roadie dreams !!!

A couple of years ago I did a regular 5 1/2 mile timed run along Worthing seafront.. once I was coming back and was going so fast I overtook a learner driver... I often wondered if they ever recovered from the shame of being overtaken by a nutcase on a mountain bike.... and yes you have f***ed it up for Mr. Millar...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
he held king of the mountains last year for about half of the tour (sic), I might have a serious punt on him winning the lot you know !!!!

Oh goody !

I'll take your money at any odds you like.

I need to recoup my losses from Euro 2008 :D

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Quite open this year and so far a great event

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports