Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Modern Conservatism is a bust. This is a government that should take decades to regroup from.

My hope is that the likes of Braverman and Anderson are finished, and that the party slowly rebuilds itself into something solid and decent (strong opposition is important)

My fear is that having infiltrated the party, the lunatics are now running that particular asylum, and they’ll double down on the politics of hate and division.

Until I can see the far-right ejected from them, my voting record will be strictly:

Anyone
But
Conservative
After their coming defeat they’ll go hard right under Braverman, and be suitably punished at the ballot box all being well

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
After their coming defeat they’ll go hard right under Braverman, and be suitably punished at the ballot box all being well

That was Rory Stewart's major worry when being interviewed this afternoon and I think he still speaks for a lot of traditional conservatives, most of whom have now been kicked out of the party or sidelined completely.

However, at the end of the day, they had their chance to reclaim their party, but very few of them were prepared to actually stand up to Johnson, Sunak, Truss, Gove, Patel, Kwarteng, Braverman and the rest of the cabal and the shit they spouted forth, even though they knew and understood it was all lies.

Sensible Conservatives knew and understood exactly what was happening but when actually confronted with a decision, they chose to retain power over doing what they knew was morally right. If it takes generations to reclaim their party, it is down to them :shrug:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That was Rory Stewart's major worry when being interviewed this afternoon and I think he still speaks for a lot of traditional conservatives, most of whom have now been kicked out of the party or sidelined completely.

However, at the end of the day, they had their chance to reclaim their party, but very few of them were prepared to actually stand up to Johnson, Sunak, Truss, Gove, Patel, Kwarteng, Braverman and the rest of the cabal and the shit they spouted forth, even though they knew and understood it was all lies.

Sensible Conservatives knew and understood exactly what was happening but when actually confronted with a decision, they chose to retain power over doing what they knew was morally right. If it takes generations to reclaim their party, it is down to them :shrug:
Great post and accurate, IMO.

This is the result of having a cabinet that is made up of “characters”. Bullying thugs who won’t stand for anything but total compliance.
And an outer ring of weaklings who would rather protect their income than take the brown-shirts to task.

Bullies and weaklings. What a government.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

To be fair 21 rebels against No Deal were thrown out in 2019, by Johnson, and local Conservative, due to the big con of Get Brexit Done.
Others like Anderson, Gullis etc eagerly took their place just for power.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I think the problem with Rory (and I've spoken to people who've worked with him) he comes from a background where he really really doesn't understand how the other half live.

Fill the party with those know exactly how the other half live, but seemingly despise them they are where they are.

They took years to try and offload the "nasty party" label and they've ramped it up ten fold.

Not surprising though. They are cornered, run out of ideas and steam all their have is their base.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The government is now filled with the privately educated, posh, good-for-nothing, children of probably quite hard working, well meaning, professionals.

Braverman, Sunak, Keegan, Mogg. And earlier, Truss and Kwarteng et al.

All the useless siblings/children of fairly respectable people.

These are the dregs who blew their allowance, bungled their education, fluffed business deals. There’s nothing left for them but the gravy train of British politics.
Placed in positions where they can funnel funds into the accounts of the elite.
Good for nothing else.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The government is now filled with the privately educated, posh, good-for-nothing, children of probably quite hard working, well meaning, professionals.

These are the dregs who blew their allowance, bungled their education, fluffed business deals. There’s nothing left for them but the gravy train of British politics.
Good for nothing else.
But @Wokeworrier still loved them.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think I made it fairly clear before the 2019 election that I thought an almighty clusterf*** was coming if Johnson's cabal was elected as it was the same lot who had constantly lied their way through a referendum 3 years earlier and then undermined their own Government in order to make a power grab.

But their constant daily corruption, incompetence, dishonesty, amoral, egotistical, pompous, narcissistic lies, have actually exceeded even my expectations, and this is long before the various enquiries actually reveal the truth of what went on through the early part of their reign and the Covid crisis:shootself
What I'd like to see is a list of reasons why millions of people voted for them.

I say list . . . Half a dozen legitimate reasons would be astounding.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I think the problem with Rory (and I've spoken to people who've worked with him) he comes from a background where he really really doesn't understand how the other half live.

Fill the party with those know exactly how the other half live, but seemingly despise them they are where they are.

They took years to try and offload the "nasty party" label and they've ramped it up ten fold.

Not surprising though. They are cornered, run out of ideas and steam all their have is their base.
I listened to a podcast interview with Stewart. He is an intellect and took time out before going to into politics, travelling and getting know and understand people. It is quite incredible the complete imbeciles in ministerial roles when there is a wealth of talented and respected politiicians on all sides sitting on the back benches powerless

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Good for nothing else.
Get a grip man.

'children of probably quite hard working, well meaning, professionals.'

This bit . . . . Fiction at best.

You don't become a 'greedy, self serving, f*** the populous, at all costs' millionaire by accident. . . It's learned behaviour.

It is entirely possible to be successful, entrepreneurial and profitable without being a total **** and shafting as many people as you can, but that's not the tory way.

For balance, it's not just tories, there are plenty of other ****s out there, but in Little Britain they are the best at it.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I listened to a podcast interview with Stewart. He is an intellect and took time out before going to into politics, travelling and getting know and understand people. It is quite incredible the complete imbeciles in ministerial roles when there is a wealth of talented and respected politiicians on all sides sitting on the back benches powerless
Dare I say it? Of course I do . . . . . . If he'd won the leadership contest, and won the election, we'd be in a better position now than if anyone else had won, from any party.

Far too rational and intelligent to succeed as a politician with power in this country.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

In the desert.

When you speak to the people who actually work for these people their public persona is often very different from behind the scenes.

I'd look at his voting record before deciding what a nice guy he is.

But yes I agree. This administration are highly ideological and equally "useless". But I'm often surprised by the ones who come across terribly in the media but are deeply respected by their civil servants.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Get a grip man.

'children of probably quite hard working, well meaning, professionals.'

This bit . . . . Fiction at best.

You don't become a 'greedy, self serving, f*** the populous, at all costs' millionaire by accident. . . It's learned behaviour.

It is entirely possible to be successful, entrepreneurial and profitable without being a total **** and shafting as many people as you can, but that's not the tory way.

For balance, it's not just tories, there are plenty of other ****s out there, but in Little Britain they are the best at it.
I think we broadly agree on the issue.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Gillian Keegan has questions to answer over a £1million schools IT contract given to a firm her husband is a director of….

…A Mirror investigation found the deal with Centerprise was paid for from the same pot of cash earmarked to rebuild classrooms at risk of collapse because they contain potentially deadly concrete.”

Last edited:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Gillian Keegan has questions to answer over a £1million schools IT contract given to a firm her husband is a director of….

…A Mirror investigation found the deal with Centerprise was paid for from the same pot of cash earmarked to rebuild classrooms at risk of collapse because they contain potentially deadly concrete.”

Only a million?

Pah, calls herself a Tory?

Sunak will not be impressed with that.

Look Gillian, we've put you in charge of this department and there are some serious sums of money involved. Early suggestions are that you may have been involved in misappropriation of a million pounds. Well, it's just not good enough. I expect.more from my senior ministers. 10 times, no, a hundred times that.
The laziness and blaming everyone else I like, the incompetence, super. But come on Gillian, you're a modern Tory FFS, now get back to work and get your nose in that trough, we haven't got much time left. I don't want to hear anymore until at least £500million has been siphoned off.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Geoff Barton from the ASCL used a helpful analogy on R4 Today today, which he'd picked up from a historian.
The government are currently boasting that they've refurbished 50 schools a year. Given that there are 22,000 schools in England, that would mean that the next one up for refurbishment would be the one built in 1583.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Geoff Barton from the ASCL used a helpful analogy on R4 Today today, which he'd picked up from a historian.
The government are currently boasting that they've refurbished 50 schools a year. Given that there are 22,000 schools in England, that would mean that the next one up for refurbishment would be the one built in 1583.
Eton was established in the 15th Century so at least that will have been looked after. Harrow 1570s ...phew.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

This is one of the least surprising new stories I've seen.

But also highlights a lack of investigative journalism. Yes to story was found eventually, but if it wasn't a for a few bits of concrete falling down, we'd have never known.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here