Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
when you look abroad all PR does is create smaller tribal factions, that then form coalitions along familiar lines. they're still chasing their tribal vote not "all the electorate".

But despite 20+ years of this I really only have one question. Why don't/can't you use capital letters ???

I guess I just struggle with somebody who has such strong and forthright views on Brexit, Energy, Economics, Transport, Housing. Politics, Wars, Northern Ireland, Ukraine, Farming, Logistics, Fishing (I could go on :wink:) being totally incapable of using capital letters.

It's probably just me :wink:
Except in this instance he did!!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
strategists in CCHQ are counting on an improving economy, inflation and energy prices down, strikes resolved (expect larger offers this year) in a year to 18mths. and yes to a large minority, small boats and culture wars, are a vote winner. its about resistance to change which is a thing for naturally conservative middle England, otherwise they wouldnt be such prominent issues. they wont do enough to outright win an election of course, Stamer will attract a lot of voters simply tired of Conservatives, it'll be about damage limitation.
We all want an improving economy but unless the policies to make that improvement are implemented then the Government are just "hoping something turns up".

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
strategists in CCHQ are counting on an improving economy, inflation and energy prices down, strikes resolved (expect larger offers this year) in a year to 18mths. and yes to a large minority, small boats and culture wars, are a vote winner. its about resistance to change which is a thing for naturally conservative middle England, otherwise they wouldnt be such prominent issues. they wont do enough to outright win an election of course, Stamer will attract a lot of voters simply tired of Conservatives, it'll be about damage limitation.
We all want an improving economy but unless the policies to make that improvement are implemented then they are just "hoping something turns up".
As it appears does @beorhthelm hence my earlier post re 'conservatism' :shrug:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We all want an improving economy but unless the policies to make that improvement are implemented then the Government are just "hoping something turns up".
pretty much, they're hoping the economic cycle will work in their favour. as energy and price rises from supply constraints filter out, inflation will come down, GDP will rise a bit later in the year, interest rates drop a bit. the story going into sprint 2024 will be "the corner is turned, haven't we done well", having done very little.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I am not trying to win anyone’s hearts or mind. They are scum and I shall refer to them as such, as and when I please 👍

I’d like to see them ploughed into a f***ing ditch but I realise that’s not the right thing to say either.

I pull no punches when it comes to a criminal organisation masquerading as a government who have overseen the decline of the U.K, the Brexit lie, the family tax evasion, the stealing form the public pot to fund your own defence against breaking your own laws, breaking your own laws, the mini budget that cost my friend his house …the list is endless.

Scum? Scum!?? They are getting off lightly in my opinion.
Wow…

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
FFS if only Coffey eat more turnips and less cakes..
Ashamed to say I laughed.

However, in pursuit of strict accuracy, it's fewer cakes.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To be fair Coffey was the one who started lecturing people about food choices.
I would like to know how she came up with turnips as a substitute for tomatoes.
Presumable when there is an apple shortage she'll suggest we eat avocados
Let's hope we don't ever run out of zucchini.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I've criticised Brexit but thought I'd try and do my bit for Brexit Britain and made a lasagne last night, substituting the tomatoes for turnips like any true patriot would do.

Christ it was terrible. Not looking forward to my pizza tonight along the same lines.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I've criticised Brexit but thought I'd try and do my bit for Brexit Britain and made a lasagne last night, substituting the tomatoes for turnips like any true patriot would do.

Christ it was terrible. Not looking forward to my pizza tonight along the same lines.
When you have perfected your turnip ketchup recipe can you please post.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Sadly it appears that it will be a little while yet before the Conservatives get their party back from the extremists

Tory activists draw up deselection target list of MPs responsible for Boris' downfall​

Conservative activists who back Boris Johnson drew up a target list of MPs who resigned from his government triggering his downfall including Rishi Sunak's Chief Whip Simon Hart. The list contains Tory MPs from the left and right of the party who resigned en masse forcing Mr Johnson to announce his resignation. The revelation comes after Damian Green, Theresa May's former Deputy Prime Minister, was blocked by activists for being a candidate for the newly created Weald of Kent seat.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/poli...-sunak-conservative-mps-coup-deselection-list

NI Brexit deal: Pressure on Rishi Sunak mounts amid frontbench resignations threat and Liz Truss intervention​

Rishi Sunak is facing mounting pressure over his plans for a Northern Ireland Brexit deal after fresh warnings of frontbench resignations, the potential intervention of Liz Truss, and rival proposals for an agreement. At least three ministerial aides are considering quitting their jobs if the Prime Minister agrees to an ongoing role for the European Court of Justice (ECJ) in Northern Ireland, MPs told i.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/n...ure-frontbench-resignations-liz-truss-2169472

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Is fat shaming okay when we don’t like someone’s politics?

We must do better than this.
Sorry, I need to show more restraint.

I was actually joking with her indoors about turnips before and then Coffey came out with it. If ever there was a veg of post war hardship.

She does to be fair have a point, we should eat more seasonally. I never buy air freighted stuff and forget tomatoes in winter they taste crap (decent can of toms far better), that said i do like the odd pepper in a stir fry.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Sadly it appears that it will be a little while yet before the Conservatives get their party back from the extremists

Tory activists draw up deselection target list of MPs responsible for Boris' downfall​

Conservative activists who back Boris Johnson drew up a target list of MPs who resigned from his government triggering his downfall including Rishi Sunak's Chief Whip Simon Hart. The list contains Tory MPs from the left and right of the party who resigned en masse forcing Mr Johnson to announce his resignation. The revelation comes after Damian Green, Theresa May's former Deputy Prime Minister, was blocked by activists for being a candidate for the newly created Weald of Kent seat.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/poli...-sunak-conservative-mps-coup-deselection-list

NI Brexit deal: Pressure on Rishi Sunak mounts amid frontbench resignations threat and Liz Truss intervention​

Rishi Sunak is facing mounting pressure over his plans for a Northern Ireland Brexit deal after fresh warnings of frontbench resignations, the potential intervention of Liz Truss, and rival proposals for an agreement. At least three ministerial aides are considering quitting their jobs if the Prime Minister agrees to an ongoing role for the European Court of Justice (ECJ) in Northern Ireland, MPs told i.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/n...ure-frontbench-resignations-liz-truss-2169472
Surely Reform should make a transfer bid for Johnson, forget 400k per MP. A couple of mill in a Cayman Islands offshore trust will secure him, plus 2 weeks timeshare in Mustique or somewhere similar to keep Cary happy

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Sorry, I need to show more restraint.

I was actually joking with her indoors about turnips before and then Coffey came out with it. If ever there was a veg of post war hardship.

She does to be fair have a point, we should eat more seasonally. I never buy air freighted stuff and forget tomatoes in winter they taste crap (decent can of toms far better), that said i do like the odd pepper in a stir fry.
The thing you absolutely have to avoid is toms grown in a heated greenhouse. There's a great little book called "How Bad are Bananas" which gives the carbon footprint of loads of stuff, from a carrier bag to a new car. 1kg of locally grown tomatoes (in season) creates approx 1.3kg of CO2equiv. Vine cherry toms grown in a UK greenhouse in March create approx 28kg of CO2equiv (per kilo). That's over 20 times more CO2equivalent for out-of-season UK greenhouse-grown toms. Most of the Spanish-grown toms we eat in the early part of the year will NOT have been grown in heated greenhouses, and are road-freighted, so their carbon footprint is only around 4 or 5 times that of a seasonally-produced British tomato.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The thing you absolutely have to avoid is toms grown in a heated greenhouse. There's a great little book called "How Bad are Bananas" which gives the carbon footprint of loads of stuff, from a carrier bag to a new car. 1kg of locally grown tomatoes (in season) creates approx 1.3kg of CO2equiv. Vine cherry toms grown in a UK greenhouse in March create approx 28kg of CO2equiv (per kilo). That's over 20 times more CO2equivalent for out-of-season UK greenhouse-grown toms. Most of the Spanish-grown toms we eat in the early part of the year will NOT have been grown in heated greenhouses, and are road-freighted, so their carbon footprint is only around 4 or 5 times that of a seasonally-produced British tomato.
I'm seen the plastic desert in Almeria, it ain't pretty but they don't need any heat or additional light and actually its pretty efficient.

28kg per kilo is terrible and probably don't even taste any good. You be better off with an airfreight one from a long way south

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Insane that the supposed party of good governance and fiscal responsibility has descended in to a bar room brawl while completely ignoring the real needs of the UK public at a time of high inflation, ridiculously high energy bills and food shortages.... I hope the average Blue Rinse remembers this complete dereliction of duty come the election.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

And the home-made ketchup I put on my chips was disgusting.

Reactions: A1X

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Insane that the supposed party of good governance and fiscal responsibility has descended in to a bar room brawl while completely ignoring the real needs of the UK public at a time of high inflation, ridiculously high energy bills and food shortages.... I hope the average Blue Rinse remembers this complete dereliction of duty come the election.
Sadly the blue rinsers will be still hankering for a Johnson resurrection, while wondering why we now have a foring prime minister.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here