Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Anyone who considers voting for this conservative government is not a decent citizen. At best they are a fool.

A bit harsh. Most people that I know that vote Tory do so for the simple reason they want to pay less tax, ie they want more money in their pocket. Selfishness more than anything else.

They'll moan when there aren't enough doctors or nurses to look after them when they're ill or enough Police to come round when they're burgled or there are too many potholes. But they'll still vote in a government that doesn't want to do anything about it?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Anyone who considers voting for this conservative government is not a decent citizen. At best they are a fool.

Clamp, at present, there is no vote to consider as there is no election for quite sometime and who knows what the political landscape will be then, and indeed, who will be leading our two main parties and what will be in their manifestos.I will consider my vote nearer the time.
Personally, I would very much like to see a change of leadership in the Conservative party asap, but there is probably less chance of that happening than there was just a few weeks ago.
My reason for posting was to disagree with the sweeping statement made by Charlie Brooker and whatever you may feel, it was an insult to many decent citizens.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
And yet accurate. Sometimes people just need to accept harsh truths.

Oh come on AIX, the statement was ridiculous and has basically asserted that a huge number of citizens in this country fall into the categories as set out by Charlie Brooker.
I would hope that moderate voters, and that means the majority of voters in this country, whether on the left or right, can see that this is wrong.
Accept hard truths? As someone who voted Conservative, am I really as described by Brooker?
What a load of nonsense.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Such a sweeping statement and an insult to many decent citizens of this country.

I’m afraid that while I hold no truck with this idea that anyone who votes Conservative is automatically a wrong ‘un, I do feel that between Johnson, Kwarteng, Patel, Sunak, Rees-Mogg and of course the inimitable Grayling, anyone who votes again for this current Conservative government, having witnessed what we’ve witnessed over the past few years, can either hold no claim to decency or probity, or simply pays no attention to politics and would continue to vote Conservative if a pig in lipstick was wearing the blue rosette.

I know many very decent Conservative voters unhappy at the naked self-interest of the current incumbents, and who feel entirely politically homeless. They fear Labour because that’s been drummed into them since the 70s and they fear the Corbyn influence is still strong. Post Brexit the Lib Dems seemed to abandon their belief in democracy. They want to vote “Old” Conservative, but not for the jackals who currently own/run the party. The current tone and approach of the party has definitely not gone unnoticed by a big chunk of its voter base, and it seems to be progressing along the lines of the US right, who are batsh1t insane. I don’t think those who are enabling this are doing themselves the favour they think they are, or fully understand the long-term consequences for our democracy.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Clamp, at present, there is no vote to consider as there is no election for quite sometime and who knows what the political landscape will be then, and indeed, who will be leading our two main parties and what will be in their manifestos.I will consider my vote nearer the time.
Personally, I would very much like to see a change of leadership in the Conservative party asap, but there is probably less chance of that happening than there was just a few weeks ago.
My reason for posting was to disagree with the sweeping statement made by Charlie Brooker and whatever you may feel, it was an insult to many decent citizens.

Just because it insults people it doesn't mean it's untrue.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Oh come on AIX, the statement was ridiculous and has basically asserted that a huge number of citizens in this country fall into the categories as set out by Charlie Brooker.
I would hope that moderate voters, and that means the majority of voters in this country, whether on the left or right, can see that this is wrong.
Accept hard truths? As someone who voted Conservative, am I really as described by Brooker?
What a load of nonsense.

of the groups designated by brooker; which one, do you think, most closely resembles you?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A bit harsh. Most people that I know that vote Tory do so for the simple reason they want to pay less tax, ie they want more money in their pocket. Selfishness more than anything else.

They'll moan when there aren't enough doctors or nurses to look after them when they're ill or enough Police to come round when they're burgled or there are too many potholes. But they'll still vote in a government that doesn't want to do anything about it?

"this conservative government"

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

sweeping negative comment such as Brooker's is why so many dont engage in broader politics, or listen to arguments that might change thier view. telling people they are wrong for simply having a view or the way they voted is not popular. they'll prefer commentators who agree with them and support their views, even if there are other agendas.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

I don’t think wanting more money in your pocket necessarily makes you selfish. Many people would like that, especially those who are less well off. Indeed, at the moment, the Labour Party are having a go at the Government for the amount of tax people are having to pay and to be honest, I think they are correct. The freezing of tax free allowances until 2026 I think it is ,(I stand to be corrected) is dreadful.
One has to be careful when you say selfishness is a prime reason for voting Tory, I think it is more the difference in philosophy between the parties on a whole range of subjects and not just tax.
Just a thought, do people who take advantage of ISA’s and other tax breaks such as pension contributions mean they are selfish or just being prudent in making provision for themselves and their families?
Anyway, I like a variety of people who vote for any of the parties. I don’t necessarily agree with them, but I don’t insult them, like some on here. My sister votes Green and I still love her and our closest friends are real lefties, we just resort to friendly discussions and a bit of piss taking over a glass or too. That is how it should be I reckon.:thumbsup:

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
There was always going to be Furlough fraud I am afraid, the way it was rushed through so quickly meant there would be and it relied on prople being trusted, Testing was a massive success our testing levels where the highest (if not among the highest) in the world, again that is not cheap -

- In the second half of 2021 it had average spending of just over £2 billion a month. In December it spent £2.8 billion - I believe you are not a fan of ending free tests?

I am sorry, what did you expect after looking down the county for two years? It to never be paid back?

If it needs to be paid back then it needs to be paid back fairly!! The wealthy had a tax cut as soon as the Tories got in power. That can be put back up and a windfall tax on the obscene profits companies made during the pandemic and since with oil firms. That would ease the burden a little!!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
If it needs to be paid back then it needs to be paid back fairly!! The wealthy had a tax cut as soon as the Tories got in power. That can be put back up and a windfall tax on the obscene profits companies made during the pandemic and since with oil firms. That would ease the burden a little!!

In an ideal world it should, but they had two choices at the time

Rush it out as it was needed saving jobs risking fraud

Go a lot slower risking jobs

It was never go to be anywhere near perfect.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Sunak is responsible as he is the chancellor. He's had two years to close any loopholes that he deigns are not in the spirit of the law, if Johnson disagrees, resign with integrity :shrug:

The past two years he was busy paying people’s wages, whilst warning it had to be paid back.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Roger,
I think we’ll have to meet up and then I’ll leave you to make your own mind up.[emoji38]ol:
There's actually only 3 categories..
Too much money, selfish or both.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
The past two years he was busy paying people’s wages, whilst warning it had to be paid back.

what? you think he actually sits there and counts out everyone's wages, i don't think you understand how a large organisation such as the treasury operates, day to day

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here