[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I notice Johnson is stirring the shit from the sidelines.

Reckon the rebels will bottle it and it will pass. then HOL will intervene, amend, delay...

Cue Daily Mail....Enemies of the People, Parliament versus the People, usual BS....
Yup, all so utterly predictable, isn't it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Yup, all so utterly predictable, isn't it.
They'll trying to make it Brexit 2.0 but with the country still reeling from Brexit 1.0 will it work?

What will become very obvious in the coming months is the desperation of client journalists, the ones with preferential access, they're bricking it and their bosses will be counting their losses.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
They're trying to make it Brexit 2.0 but with the country still reeling from Brexit 1.0 will it work?
Could do - these head-bangers are like the old Soviet Communists. For them, it's never the policy or ideology which is wrong, simply that it has not been applied hard enough or for long enough, due to faint-hearts and heretics in the 'deep state'. So the solution is to weed-out the 'traitors' and saboteurs, and then impose the policy even harder.

In the meantime, though, an increasingly impatient citizenry need to be kept distracted, and their anger directed at other targets.

Or maybe I'm just a bit too cynical!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Shocked to read 30p Lee is on a £100k per year salary for GB News.

Doesn't sit right with me. I don't think politicians (of any colour rosette) should have second jobs that can be used to influence the electorate. That should be done via good work in constituency surgeries and in the Commons, no?

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022

Doesn't sit right with me. I don't think politicians (of any colour rosette) should have second jobs that can be used to influence the electorate. That should be done via good work in constituency surgeries and in the Commons, no?

You would hope so wouldn’t you? Expect this to become increasingly normalised sadly. Half the current crop of Conservatives seem to be at it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

What's more we have Tory MP's interviewing Tory ministers.

Toughen up Ofcom and toughen up rules on 2nd jobs....

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

Totally agree - being an MP is meant to be a full-time job, because for good, conscientious, MPs, there are so many roles to fulfil, both in the House of Commons, and in their constituency.

Tory MPs like to claim that their second-jobs keep them in touch with the real world - not sure how working for GBNews or acquiring a well-paid company directorship achieves this.

Their contacts and correspondence with their constituents should be enough to keep them aware of the problems experienced by ordinary people 'in the real world', but if this is not enough, they could always volunteer at a Food Bank or some other form of unpaid community work among the destitute and disadvantaged.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

GBNews has been reported to Ofcom for Tory MPs interviewing other Tory MPs whilst a by election was happening. This breaks election rules but the Electoral Commission has been very quiet for a while now since the Election Bill of 2022 which limited their powers.

Slowly but surely, the Tories have shut down accountability from many sources.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
GBNews has been reported to Ofcom for Tory MPs interviewing other Tory MPs whilst a by election was happening. This breaks election rules but the Electoral Commission has been very quiet for a while now since the Election Bill of 2022 which limited their powers.

Limiting Electoral Commission powers
Vote ID favouring the old
Gerrymandering boundaries
Permitting light regulation in TV broadcast news

Winning is only enough, when you win forever.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Whilst everyone is looking at the Rwanda bill, this is going on in the background. Try to read the whole thread because it is 'dumbing down' healthcare by introducing Physician Associates.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Reckon the rebels will bottle it and it will pass.

Suspect you're right. But that in itself will be damaging for Sunak. If the rebels turn out to be right and the bill as it is is ineffective (asylum seekers are still able to prevent flights leaving due to court challenges), that'll be just as bad longer term as if he gets defeated today.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

While accusing their opponents of pursuing 'cancel culture' and constraining free-speech.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

In fairness Lee Anderthaal was openly very critical on MPs who took 2nd jobs for.£100K pa .
...until he was offered a 2nd job on £100K pa.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
As Michael Tomlinson confirmed in interviews this morning the government’s latest ploy to assure Tory rebels that it is serious about ignoring European court of human rights’ injunctions banning deportation flights is to suggest that the civil service code will be amended to make it clear that officials can’t use injunctions as a reason to block flights themselves.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Today, 3million ex-pats will get the right to vote in General elections, no matter how long they have lived in another country.

I remember a n interview that was done during a general election when Thatcher was standing.

The South African/ English couple were saying they would only ever vote Tory, then the wife said she couldn’t possibly vote for that Thatcher woman.

Her Husband gently reminded her who was leader of the Conservative Party.😂😂😂

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports