Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tories vote to reduce food standards

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
If you’re going to go all animal rights on me, I’d have hoped you would have at least got your facts right.

Supermarkets don’t sell spent chickens.

I'm not sure Palacefinder said they did.

Does your reference to 'going all animal rights' suggest that you're not too concerned about such things? I'm worried about your dogs.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I'm not sure Palacefinder said they did.

Well he posted “a battery hen sits in an enclosed cage with a floor the size of a paperback book cover and no room to move in any direction“ so that’s a chicken that is being used in the factory farming of eggs, not one grown for its meat. It’s a reasonably accurate description of the appalling conditions battery chickens suffer but it has nothing to do with chickens reared for meat.

Does your reference to 'going all animal rights' suggest that you're not too concerned about such things? I'm worried about your dogs.

You do realise surely that I was replying to a post that said “Without wanting to get too animal rights on you”? hence my use of that phrase.

I’d worry more about your comprehension than my dogs if I were you. :)

Last edited:

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
:lol:

You are hardly going to convince anyone who cares about animal welfare to buy halal meat considering a significant % of animals are slaughtered without stunning, a process the RSPCA says causes unnecessary suffering.

You would be surprised how much meat is halal nowadays.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Anybody that's eats a readymade meal containing chicken, if you believe that it comes from a free range farm your dreaming. Most comes from chicken farms. I've worked in these they smell horrid and most chickens are gone after 18 months to slaughter due to reduced egg production. You can always pick them up for your own coops.

So this is now, and under the EU?.

Best we make our own laws then, which will be much easier out the EU than in.

Happy days.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Wowwowwow. That really IS impressive. You've been to America more than once. What's the least favourite place you've been to? Hard to beat is Odessa, Texas. It's like Peacehaven without the sea. Lubbock up the road has its high spots though, esp if you go on a Saturday. That'll be the Day.

I'm going to try to avoid responding to all your Trumpian outbursts in future. No one can be as daft or unpleasant as they make you sound so you are clearly on a wind-up. Satire of a kind I suppose. You've hooked Pasta though and with him, close behind as always, the jeering genius.

Sure, like millions of Brits I have been to the US.

I don’t have a Trumpian outburst, I have common sense and a point of reference in history. Check out the origins of spaghetti carbonara before you whine about US food standards.

Pathetic.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
That's not a good thing. We need to be looking at turning the corner for environmental benefits and for the future of our planet, the science doesn't lie.

What corner?

You can go where you want, I’m liberally minded.

Fact is, it’s only because this country is so corpulent we can indulge life styles of those that want to say want to avoid meat.

If we really had a problem with the food chain the vegans, anemics and celeriacs would be eating their neighbours children like they did in China in the 50s thanks to Mao’s collectivisation of farms.

Chin chin

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You would be surprised how much meat is halal nowadays.

I am not surprised in the slightest and havnt been for a while. Animal slaughter for religious purposes is a growing profitable business model.
I am surprised about those who are very keen and vocal on animal welfare normally (and nothing wrong with that) who remain very quiet toward those religious slaughter practices that the RSPCA consider causes unnecessary suffering.

Last edited:

What corner?

You can go where you want, I’m liberally minded.

Fact is, it’s only because this country is so corpulent we can indulge life styles of those that want to say want to avoid meat.

If we really had a problem with the food chain the vegans, anemics and celeriacs would be eating their neighbours children like they did in China in the 50s thanks to Mao’s collectivisation of farms.

Chin chin

The corner of environmentally friendly food and food sources, I love my meat, but I recognise I need to cut it down to just once or twice a week and even then, make sure it's organic or locally reared. It's hard though, but it's required if we are to cut back and help turn the tide on climate change.

Re the China quote, you've lost me there but made me chuckle.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Without reading all of thread. I have always enjoyed eating chicken and steaks in USA. Also have several relatives living there who have never complained . May I ask is it animal welfare that is the issue or standard and health risks that is the concern. Is there evidence that food poisoning is a problem in USA compared to Europe.?

Both.
There are estimates of food poisoning cases made by the UK and US, the US estimates are roughly 10 times worse at 1 in 6 people annually, this may be because they are more pessimistic in their estimates to some extent though.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I am not surprised in the slightest and havnt been for a while. Animal slaughter for religious purposes is a growing profitable business model.
I am surprised about those who are very keen and vocal on animal welfare normally (and nothing wrong with that) who remain very quiet toward those religious slaughter practices that the RSPCA consider causes unnecessary suffering.

Not me. And I am sure your reference to religious purposes covers kosher as well as much halal. There used to be a little Asian butcher shop in Lewisham that proudly advertised 'not pre-stunned'. Medieval. To my joy it went bust.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
the .. celeriacs would be eating their neighbours children like they did in China in the 50s thanks to Mao’s collectivisation of farms.

Blimey, I've seen some barking mad posts on NSC in my time but rantings about vegetables that eat children is the the craziest that I've ever seen.

You do know the Day of the Triffids was a work of fiction?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I assume people do realise that they don't actually have to eat anything they don't want to? There's quite a lot of dog shit in the woods behind my house, but I don't go around stuffing it in my mouth.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I assume people do realise that they don't actually have to eat anything they don't want to? There's quite a lot of dog shit in the woods behind my house, but I don't go around stuffing it in my mouth.

So by the same token you'd be against controls on puppy farming on the basis that people don't HAVE to buy small dogs raised in appalling squalor?

I assume you do realise that?

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London

Quite, because you know what dog shit is.

Imagine walking into your local shop and purchasing a burger which had been sourced from a cow injected with growth hormone, or a chicken breast that had been cleaned using chlorine, but because it's not labelled as such, nor where it has been sourced from you have absolutely no idea.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Now let's imagine that you've ordered yourself a curry from your favourite local curry house, and it turns out after you've eaten it that what you thought was lamb is actually some of that dog shit from the woods sourced from there because it's cheaper. You cool with that?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

But popping a bit of rat shit in your mouth is fine :wink:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-trump-food-hygiene-standards-trade-department-memo-a9145971.html

The US Food and Drug Administration decides the extent to which food products sold to consumers can contain contaminants including rodent hair, animal faeces, insect fragments and maggots.

For example, cocoa beans are allowed to contain up to 10mg of mammal faeces per pound, while ground paprika can contain up to 75 insect fragments and 11 rodent hairs per pound.

The UK does not currently allow any such contamination.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here