Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top Gear's Clarkson suspended by BBC

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It is Top Gear which is the cash cow.....Not Clarkson - Surely to god an organisation like the BBC there would be no shortage of applicants who could do that job. And do it just as good if not better. Young Blood BBC - Young Blood.Think to the future

Well, he's the one who came in and completely revamped the entire format of the show, it was dying on its arse beforehand. It wouldn't be quite the same without his particular brand of buffoonery, but that aside, he DOES know his stuff when it comes to testing and writing about cars.

Maybe you're right though, its getting a bit tired now. I think they're running short of ideas, this has not been a good series. That episode where they pratted about in rebuilt ambulances was pretty desperate stuff.

Who could replace Clarkson ? Hmmm.

Karl Pilkington ?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Clarkson and his long time friend Andy Wilman sold their 50% share of the show, owned by a company called Bedder 6, back in September 2012. It was worth £50 to £100 million. Clarkson signed a contract to stay on the show for three more years.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
All 3 presenters together are the cash cows. The hardcore top gear fans would hate if heleft.
Correct. It wouldn't work if any of them were missing - a bit like Only Fools and Horses stopped being funny in the episodes after Uncle Albert had died.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Interested to know what exactly happened. This will kill Top Gear on the BBC and with that will leave a HUGE financial gap, even taking the production costs away.

Someone else will pick the show up and produce it, the brand and money the show makes will make it worthwhile for another channel to take on. Take away Clarkson, and Top Gear simply wouldnt be the same - then you may have Hammond and May refuse to take part.

There is a lot more to come, but for all we know this could be false allegations. Although everyone is of course immediately guilty when arrested/suspended these days.......

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Whilst Clarkson is arrogant and has an ego most of his persona on Top Gear is tongue in cheek and exaggerated for the show, I know because I have spent the day with access all areas on the show. I delivered a Porsche to the studios and stayed there right through to the after show drinks and eats, I spoke to them all and Clarkson although a bit full of himself was nothing like he comes across on the camera and his newspaper column.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Clarkson owns the production company that produces top gear?

It is Top Gear which is the cash cow.....Not Clarkson - Surely to god an organisation like the BBC there would be no shortage of applicants who could do that job. And do it just as good if not better. Young Blood BBC - Young Blood.Think to the future
Clarkson writes the who programme, including the ad-libs.

No Clarkson no Top Gear, and as said that means no money big, big money.

I'd imagine there would also be a fair degree of solidarity from the other 2 should JC be 'forced' out.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

No Clarkson no Top Gear, and as said that means no money big, big money.

I'd imagine there would also be a fair degree of solidarity from the other 2 should JC be 'forced' out.

Americans absolutely love the show, I could see it going there if the BBC are stupid enough to sack him

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Americans absolutely love the show, I could see it going there if the BBC are stupid enough to sack him
Check out the on-line viewing figures, it's not just America, Top Gear is the worlds biggest show, and that's before all the books arena tours etc.
'The Boys' can do whatever they want after the BBC, I'd wager they have sold themselves short for years staying with Auntie.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
been suspended.......where from and can I go and look
he is a p1ss taking knob

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Give him the late night spot on Talksport and he can spout all the crap he wants and get him out of our faces.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Then they're not ad libs.
Clarkson stopped being slightly amusing years ago, delighted to see him off TV and hope it stays that way. Doubt the BBC has the balls for it though, sadly.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Who could replace Clarkson ? Hmmm.

550w_ds_icons_henry_kelly_4.jpg

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
The ALLEGED incident was that Clarkson aimed a punch at a producer, but missed - http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015...poned-after-jeremy-clarkson-punches-producer#

Unsure if he would be sacked for that, but he will no doubt get a final warning, though again we dont know what was said or the full circumstances - for all we know the producer acted badly too. Even if he isnt sacked, the 3 of them may not stay at the BBC. Top Gear would be rubbish without them, much like Fifth Gear on Channel 5, which is what Top Gear was like before Clarkson so replacing them would be very risky by the BBC and unlikely. They will probably sell the brand/show on to another broadcaster. Sky may well be interested in taking it on and no doubt Clarkson, Hammond and May would probably take in more money than what they currently earn. If not, it could always be picked up by an American company (since its big in the US) and shown on Netflix.

Either way, I cant see that Top Gear in its current format is dead, but the BBC losing it would be enormous. This has been on the cards for a while as Clarkson and the head of the BBC have never seen eye-to-eye.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here