Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

too big,too stong,too quick,too good

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
why arent they As gus said beforethe game no way we were going to win the cup So what with the league postion All in all a good time to go out

Sorry don't agree, we treated it and Stoke with disrespect today and got our just desserts. If were not going to take every game seriously then we shouldnt enter. £500k is a lot of Money even in the premiership!

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Lets take the money and run . If we had won then the media attention on us as ,in the quater finals would be extreme.....remember 83 ,cup final yes ! ........what we need is promotion moving to the Amex .

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Secure promotion and we'll be back in round 5 again next year when we really can go full felt at it. Gus is under a huge amount of pressure from Bloom (anything but top 2 would be a disappointment) to secure Championship football next season and whatever we believe, this has affected his team selection.

And if we don't? Or are challenging(!) at either end? I just don't get what people want each season if teams and fans like Brighton want to lose in a competition to concentrate on league-which is ESP ironic for our club!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Lets take the money and run . If we had won then the media attention on us as ,in the quater finals would be extreme.....remember 83 ,cup final yes ! ........what we need is promotion moving to the Amex .

don't think much chance of us going down this season...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If they didn't want it, why did we play so well at Watford in the last round? And against Portsmouth before that? To suggest the moment we stopped wanting it was when we came up away against a Premier League team is pretty iffy IMO.

The players always wanted it. The management never did.

Joebananas

Jan 30, 2011
If we'd been better defensively I think we could have won today, too. Three silly goals, one from an Olympic throw-in, but apart from that, Stoke offered very little. Second half was much much better and we deserved a goal. I thought we had a cast iron penalty in second half, waved away by ref who gave very little for the third division side and pretty much all for the Premier League team. Am glad we've not got injuries or cards after this one, back to the league it is.

Jesus guys. 3 nil up at half time without breaking sweat and a second half of energy preservation in preparation for our next domestic game at Arsenal. It was a stroll in the park today for us and your full team would still have lost easily. There is a huge gulf between us and the top 5 teams in the prem but the gulf between the 3rd div and any premiership team is colossal from what I saw today.

Your doing well this season but don't go getting above your station. You will find it very hard next season for a start if you go up and you are definitely a million miles from the prem still. You play nice football but it was ineffective today and you will need to be a lot stronger physically next season to compete.

Good luck anyway but crikey some of you are seriously thinking your up there with Barcelona and a reality check is seriously in order.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
The players always wanted it. The management never did.

Not sure what you were expecting.. do you disagree that stoke were clear favourites? Would playing el abd and Ankergren (and risking upsetting elphick, brez and thus the team spirit) really have made a difference against a premier team that have an exceptional home record? You talk as if winning was likely! When the team that played was still the one that many agree played Portsmouth and Watford off the park?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Do you know what ? I think if we had played a full strength side we could have won today.

No, I'm sorry but that is ignoring everything we've seen today. As limited as Stoke are, what they do, they are very good at, and we never looked like breaking them down.

All season, we have had more trouble with physical sides than anyone, and they were far more physical than anything we face in League One.

They deserved to win, and by a distance .... but, blimey, it's seriously UGLY football that they play.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Having just got in, I was disappointed with our performance.

However, I'm glad I don't have to watch Stoke every other week. I understand they have found a way of surviving in the Premier League, but their style of "anti-football" just leaves me cold.

Speaking to a few Stoke fans after the game they appear to agree.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
if you go up you are definitely a million miles from the prem still.

Reasonable post apart from that comment. No one in the second tier is a million miles from the Premiership, anything can happen. Were Blackpool a million miles from the Premiership when Holloway took over?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not sure what you were expecting.. do you disagree that stoke were clear favourites? Would playing el abd and Ankergren (and risking upsetting elphick, brez and thus the team spirit) really have made a difference against a premier team that have an exceptional home record? You talk as if winning was likely! When the team that played was still the one that many agree played Portsmouth and Watford off the park?

I'm thinking if we'd played the same settled team that plays attractive football in the League, week in, week out, we'd have certainly not gifted Stoke the easy day at the office that they had today.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I can see he's playing Batti today when the boy has spent the entire season at Withdean jogging up and down past H Block. Tells me all I need to know. Why can't you see that?

Did he have that much of a choice though?

Sparrow was out injured, Navarro is still a short while away from fitness, Noone cup tied, and Kishishev hasn't trained for a while due to family problems. We usually play 3 central midfielders with Bennett roaming, and we did again today, with the only real options we had available.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I'm thinking if we'd played the same settled team that plays attractive football in the League, week in, week out, we'd have certainly not gifted Stoke the easy day at the office that they had today.

And piss off the players we used in the cup to get us there? Our team spirit has been incredible this season. Would I want to risk upsetting that just so we could stand a slightly better chance against stoke? No. And as I said, the team that played today played Watford and Portsmouth off the park.

Joebananas

Jan 30, 2011
Reasonable post apart from that comment. No one in the second tier is a million miles from the Premiership, anything can happen. Were Blackpool a million miles from the Premiership when Holloway took over?

Point taken Monkey, perhaps that comment was a little exaggerated but then do you think your current team is genuinely strong enough to challenge for promotion next season in a higher league never mind hold there own in the Prem. Blackpool look like being sucked down again now they have been found out just like Burnley and Hull were. We hold our own by being direct physical and fit. It might not always be pretty but nor is it as bad as everyone seems to like to think and being tenth in the Premier league at this stage of the season is earned and not a fluke position. Our second goal today proved we can play football.

I genuinely wish you well as I live here so kinda follow your results but some of the comments on here are quite amusing by there dilutional undertone.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
we knew what was coming but we were unable to deal with it fair enough.we showed that we can play a bit but we also showed that we lack power & pace.After conceeding 3 headed goals we had our fair share of possesion but lacked the strenth to push a big strong team backwards.Its fair to say that stoke took their foot off the gas after halftime & let us have the ball but we never looked like we were going to get back in the game.

Totally agree.

We had no chance today against a big physical team like Stoke. They showed the gulf in speed, strength and fitness between the prem and league 1. They were well drilled in defence and we couldn't outsmart them when we had the ball. To be fair to us they never looked like scoring form open play, but looked like scoring from every single corner or long throw. I don't know what THPP is on about saying the 11 that won last week would've made any difference. We conceded 3 headers to a team where every player is over 6 foot and built like a brick shithouse. We're not very good at defending set pieces as it is, let alone the best team at set pieces in any division.

I never expected to win today but enjoyed seeing us knock it about in the 2nd half, even though deepdown I know Stoke took their foot off the gas.

To sum up - I enjoyed the day, we went out to a superior team and there's nothing to whinge about.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Point taken Monkey, perhaps that comment was a little exaggerated but then do you think your current team is genuinely strong enough to challenge for promotion next season in a higher league never mind hold there own in the Prem. Blackpool look like being sucked down again now they have been found out just like Burnley and Hull were. We hold our own by being direct physical and fit. It might not always be pretty but nor is it as bad as everyone seems to like to think and being tenth in the Premier league at this stage of the season is earned and not a fluke position. Our second goal today proved we can play football.

I genuinely wish you well as I live here so kinda follow your results but some of the comments on here are quite amusing by there dilutional undertone.

I'm sure you appreciate the effect of club tinted glasses. I just wish there was a dose of realism, not sure some of the reactions are at all fair to the players and staff at Brighton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here