Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom is totally deluded!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Bloom won't even put his hand in his pocket to pay players decent wages (the very reason we are League One ready) so what makes you think he'll sack Hyypia having to then pay him off?

Nope, we're stuck with him until:

a) his contract expires

or

b) he's found to be in breach of contract where he can then be suspended pending an investigation.

One club, one ambition...

The price of sacking Sami is CHEAPER than the price of almost certain relegation...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
When people talk about 'consensus' on here, it usually seems to mean the perceived majority of people the poster thinks agree with him/her.
Well that's not what I mean by consensus. I'd say the consensus is that our manager isn't good enough, and it's not an opinion I share.

I can only speak for myself; it wasn't hindsight, just an all too short period of wondering if those who were jumping up and down in their delight at DB's brilliance in the transfer window might just possibly have a point.
So you noticed the people jumping up and down too.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
As I recall we just escaped relegation with Garcia as manager didn't we.

We qualified for the play offs mainly due to 3 or 4 other clubs bottling it, unlike the season before when we were there on merit and flying.
I didn't say I rate Hyppia, my point was had we recruited a better fit manager than Garcia last summer then we could have kicked on with what was still a VERY good championship squad. Hyppia is simply a continuation of that downward spiral. However Hyppia has not got Ulloa, Bridcutt, Buckley, Upson and Ward to work with. Every single replacement of those players is a downgrade. Elliot Bennett is the first decent signing this season and he's a short term loan.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
We qualified for the play offs mainly due to 3 or 4 other clubs bottling it, unlike the season before when we were there on merit and flying.
I didn't say I rate Hyppia, my point was had we recruited a better fit manager than Garcia last summer then we could have kicked on with what was still a VERY good championship squad. Hyppia is simply a continuation of that downward spiral. However Hyppia has not got Ulloa, Bridcutt, Buckley, Upson and Ward to work with. Every single replacement of those players is a downgrade. Elliot Bennett is the first decent signing this season and he's a short term loan.

I don't understand the criticism of Garcia. The football wasn't great but he had an awful injury list. I think we ended up with three less points and had no CMS or Hoskins pretty much all season as well as missing Orlandi for much of the year, only having Bridcutt available for a few games before he was sold, losing Crofts midway through the season, Barnes being sold and not replaced, Buckley hardly being fit and Ulloa missing three months. I think that covers it. I think Garcia did exceptionally well to get us into the play offs even if the football wasn't very exciting.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Garcia was competent, nothing more nothing less.

Sami is the wrong man.

Tony has decisions to make as it clearly looks like we will struggle badly this season.

It will be interesting to see what Bloom does:

Back Sami with signings.
Sack the manager and bring in a proven manager at this level.
Change the way we run the football side of the club (Burke & Barbers influence)
Do nothing
Or do some and not others

Big decisions for Tony as this will shape our short to medium term future.

Hopefully we will move away from trying to become like a North American run franchise and more like a traditional footy club celebrating tradition and concentration on the football pitch.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014

Sami is the wrong man.

Tony has decisions to make as it clearly looks like we will struggle badly this season.

Back Sami with signings.
Do nothing

Hopefully we will move away from trying to become like a North American run franchise and more like a traditional footy club celebrating tradition and concentration on the football pitch.
Not bad. Only there are a lot of traditional clubs in financial bovver

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I don't understand the criticism of Garcia. The football wasn't great but he had an awful injury list. I think we ended up with three less points and had no CMS or Hoskins pretty much all season as well as missing Orlandi for much of the year, only having Bridcutt available for a few games before he was sold, losing Crofts midway through the season, Barnes being sold and not replaced, Buckley hardly being fit and Ulloa missing three months. I think that covers it. I think Garcia did exceptionally well to get us into the play offs even if the football wasn't very exciting.
Garcia was a great tactician I wish he had stayed with us. I would say on the same skill level as Poyet without all the dramatics.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Oscar was/is a great coach - brought on Ince, JFC, March and coped with a terrible injury list. He ought to have been given whatever was needed to stay and, if he had, we'd be fed up of chanting '1-0 to the Albion'. Oscar was the most serious loss over the summer - he'd have this squad mid-table and definitely finish top 8. Oscar also had brilliant plans for linking the development squads in with the first team - all of that long term tactical planning seems to have gone now. Sami by contrast is the wrong man in the wrong place at the wrong time.

of all the people we've lost over recent years, Oscar is the only one I'd like to see return

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oscar was/is a great coach - brought on Ince, JFC, March and coped with a terrible injury list. He ought to have been given whatever was needed to stay and, if he had, we'd be fed up of chanting '1-0 to the Albion'. Oscar was the most serious loss over the summer - he'd have this squad mid-table and definitely finish top 8. Oscar also had brilliant plans for linking the development squads in with the first team - all of that long term tactical planning seems to have gone now. Sami by contrast is the wrong man in the wrong place at the wrong time.
All hypothetical now that Oscar himself is also on the long term injury list.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The price of sacking Sami is CHEAPER than the price of almost certain relegation...

bit early to say almost certain imho....being 3 points off 15th......continue current form until Xmas and then we'd be marked relegation candidates ..but looking at that table currently there are quite a few of them

Last edited:

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
bit early to say almost certain imho....being 3 points off 15......continue current form until Xmas and then we'd be marked relegation candidates ..but looking at that table currently there are quite a few of them
Probably about 12 minimum in the battle.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

Sami is the wrong man.

Back Sami with signings.
Do nothing

This is the bit that gets me, I despise the 'One Club One Ambition' bollocks, as do most of our fans who are not JCL's. It's just an unfortunate necessity due to coming such a long way in a short space of time. I wish the club would move away from the corporate crap, but we all know they wont.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
bit early to say almost certain imho....being 3 points off 15......continue current form until Xmas and then we'd be marked relegation candidates ..but looking at that table currently there are quite a few of them

I can certainly see your logic; it is indeed early and much can happen - crucial factor will be the transfer window. I just wish that after the last 4 home games there was some sort of spark that you could truly say will ignite the season. EB at the last match was an obvious bonus, but he is on loan. January will be interesting -big spend or yet more on the cheap? TB did talk about due diligence being not as it should have been so there is an acknowledgement that the club could do better, but in the meantime, there are lots more matches and with more dire performances and consequent loss of confidence, the risk of downward spiral becomes ever more acute.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
This is the bit that gets me, I despise the 'One Club One Ambition' bollocks, as do most of our fans who are not JCL's. It's just an unfortunate necessity due to coming such a long way in a short space of time. I wish the club would move away from the corporate crap, but we all know they wont.

Most unlikely as they have just head hunted another suit, one from Canada, just to exploit this area.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The team is weak. The defence is weaker with Greer and Calderon possibly past their best. The midfield has no bite about it at all, why Ince(who had a pretty much full season last year, in a team that finished 6th) doesn't get a regular start, simply for he physical attributes is beyond me and the forward line, well what can you say that hasn't been said a thousand times. League one at best. We have sold £16-£18 million pounds worth of talent and replaced them with average (at best) players. We are in serious relegation trouble and if people keep sticking their head in the sand over it and keep pretending everything is ok, we will be down....We have two players left who are worth anything, Dunk and Walton. The rest of the squad ain't worth a w*nk. That's why we are where we are. But as long as Bloom keeps turning up and talking the talk, some people will lap it up.

Could not have put it better myself. We ARE in the shit. We WILL be down with Sami in charge and Burke with his champ manager database. No question.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

Spot on.
I thought Oscar performed bloody miracles with the hand he was dealt (summed up well, above) & deserved far better than the slightly bitter & lazy cheap shots TB took at him when he left.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Gus's comment was bourne out of frustration and resentment over his restricted remit and what he saw as his straitened circumstances.

.... and it was true. Due to those constraints, he didn't feel we could better that season for the foreseeable. It's hard to disagree based on what we've seen since, and what we heard last week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here