Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Hark/Sussex By The Sea

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Ambivalent or what?
So I play the new songs and the reaction around me seem spretty positive. (I'm in a portakabin PA box, I look around, lots of people are bopping away) Nearly everyone I meet on the way to the pub, and in the pub, likes it. But they're the kind of people who like punk/ska/reggae/alternative music anyway. I get home and initial indications from NSC (see other thread) seem to be that the majority think the whole thing is a pile of cack.
So where do we go from here?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I like the Tom Hark Song, not so sure about the ska version of GOSBTS.

Where do we go from here ?

Get it in the shops I'll certainly buy it and loads of others will - can we sell some off tables at Withdean at a specific match ?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
i liked the new tom hark alot , didn't really hear the new GOSBTS

Lush

Mods' Pet
I'm sorry John I didn't hear either due to bucket rattling, HOWEVER - I would venture that

1) NOTHING will ever replace the original GOSBTS

2) Most people will like the new Tom Hark - play it whenever you feel in the mood

3) We will ALL buy the single when it comes out - just tell us when and where to buy it so we can get it in the charts

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Loved the new Tom Hark,thought the new GOSBTS was OK,but a lot of people around me didn't like it.But I think most people will buy the CD just for Tom Hark.
BTW I enjoyed todays music selection,particularly The Liquidator:clap:

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The P.A. was terrible in the south stand today. I'll buy three copies anyway.:clap2:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
sams dad said:

BTW I enjoyed todays music selection,particularly The Liquidator:clap:
yeah , we almost had an attmosphere today before the stewards sat us down and shut us up

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The alleged 'ska' version of GOSBTS started off with a foxhunting-type horn sound which raised comedy shouts of 'Tally-Ho!' in H Block. The rest of the song, far from sounding 'ska' sounded like a bloke playing a kazoo, or a comb and paper. So pitiful it had us all in tears of laughter. Nul point, as they say. The Zamora Singers would have been proud of ya.

As for Tom Hark, well, yes, there's a tune that's particularly hard to screw up. It's a moot point whether there will ever be room in the pop world for the words 'planning process' and it does seem to be trying a tad too hard to put it's point across. More cheery whistling, less earnest wordmanship, no matter how worthy the cause, might have been better to promote affection for the thing. Personally I STILL prefer the version accidentally done at the Crewe game, with just the tune we all know and love, and attila grumbling and muttering in the background with the occasional 'We Want Falmer' thrown in. Can we have an NSC remix of THAT one please?

Ah ,feckit, hardly the point eh? We'll all go out and buy it anyways. For all the right reasons. Don't have to actually LIKE it.

:smokin:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
attila said:
Comparisons with the Zamora Singers?
I've just binned the whole idea.

I wouldn't, it will sell and raise more money.

attila said:
Ambivalent or what?
So I play the new songs and the reaction around me seem spretty positive. (I'm in a portakabin PA box, I look around, lots of people are bopping away) Nearly everyone I meet on the way to the pub, and in the pub, likes it. But they're the kind of people who like punk/ska/reggae/alternative music anyway. I get home and initial indications from NSC (see other thread) seem to be that the majority think the whole thing is a pile of cack.
So where do we go from here?

Like all sensible people, just ignore NSC - we're not that representative. The people who post a lot on NSC are a self-selective group of strong-opinioned, contrary-types who are not even that representative of the NSC membership.

Yes, I'm in that group before anyone asks.

The people who like it won't be that motivated to post.

Albion Edd

Brighton til die
Jul 5, 2003
Patcham
Tom Hark was good, GOSTBS was alright, quite a few people were jumping around to it. I'll buy it and even if people don't like it much I think they will buy just to help raise the money

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
I thought both were excellent - as did my brother.

OK, we were 13 & 14 respectively when SKA was at its peak, but younger people around us were bopping in their seats too!

I'll buy at least 5 for members of my family etc.

punk: punk:

Windmill

Jul 6, 2003
Tadley, Nr Reading
Didn't hear enough of 'Tom Hark' to comment, but listened to the new version of GOSBTS while I was queuing for me half time coffee and I thought it was pretty cool.

Will u be putting more details of your gig at the Evening Star up on here - the 'Sponsor a Song' idea is a good one.

I will be buying 2 copies of the CD and would imagine that most Albion fans will as well.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Having heard the tracks in the studio on Monday, I think that most people on here have missed the point.

The PA at Withdean is utter shit and did neither track any justice. You couldn't hear any bass, and what you could hear was only the top-end stuff - and that was almost silent. They did sound cack, and I did wince when I heard them, but as I said, I have heard them in the studio and they sound BRILLIANT. Wait til everyone buys it and bungs it on in the car or at home. It will sound utterly different.

I can only assume that the speakers work better in the away end, because when the ska version GOSBTS came on at the start of the second half, virtually the whole stand was skanking. It looked great. How ironic.

Last edited:

What the Large One said.

How about trying the version of GOSBTS with vocals at the next match?

How about twiddling a few knobs and getting more bass and less top into the South Stand area in particular? (a suggestion I've been intending to make for years, btw).

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:

How about twiddling a few knobs and getting more bass and less top into the South Stand area in particular? (a suggestion I've been intending to make for years, btw).

.....it took 3 years to get a clock, so I'm guessing the bespoke Bose PA is someway off yet.

Pehaps we could just get some some spotty teenager with a Citroen Saxo to drive onto the pitch at half time and blare it out on his stereo?

We could get a few of them to do it in unison, during the game they could keep themselves occupied peeling out and doing donuts outside the Sportsman.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here