Tom Hark - All Systems Go!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Mods - can you take the other one off and make this a sticky please?

TOM HARK - ALL SYSTEMS GO!

It’s in the programme on Saturday and the Argus is doing a big feature before then (so they assure me) so it’s all systems go! At the moment we have one global online outlet, HMV, and five local shops. More shops (in West Sussex) will be coming soon. Reason for the delay is the distributors normally sell in two weeks before release, and we are going for presales two weeks before that, so despite my efforts not everyone is ready - but that really isn’t important. We obviously need to get everything going for Saturday’s home match and we’ve got all we need for now - fewer outlets makes it simpler in a lot of ways.
Basically : in terms of online orders, ask people to order through HMV. It’s up there, HMV are selling it. Don’t worry about anyone else for now. I’ll post the details of the other shop outlets when we get them.

Just to emphasise - EVERY sale through EVERY outlet listed here will count towards the chart. Anyone in the WORLD can order online through HMV and it will count. Please ask everyone to preorder: it’s really important if we’re going to make money for the Albion, I’ve posted the reasons why already and they are in the press release at the bottom of this post. To get the best chart position we need to sell as many extra copies as possible, in addition to the pre-orders, in the 6 days following release (Monday 3rd - Saturday 8th Jan) So encourage people to pre-order, then buy an extra one in that week to send to Two Jags! (We’ll come to that bit nearer the time...!)

The full press release is at the bottom of this post: please use it as and where you will, whether to explain to friends, fans of other clubs, music fans etc what the whole thing is about, why they should pre-order, etc, or to send to any media contacts you might have. If you have media contacts and they express interest, promo copies will soon be available. PM me and they can be sent anywhere they will elicit a positive response.

As with everything we’ve done to help the Albion it’s down to everyone, open season now, you know the score - if you have an good idea to help the single, don’t hesitate, just do it! And post what you’ve done on this thread so we know. Obviously everyone locally needs to know, not just Albion fans - so equally obviously do fans of other clubs (Wrexham and Donny for starters, but everyone else as well, everyone should know about the Albion’s plight by now!) plus music websites, you name it. Apart from our football allies at other clubs we have other backers too, which is great. Some of the people who helped John Otway with his ‘Bunsen Burner’ hit campaign are on our side. Some of my 2500 strong mailing list are too. But of course, it’s basically 100% down to us. This could be great publicity for Falmer in the period immediately before the re-opening of the enquiry. Let’s go for it. SEAGULLS!

PUBLICITY:
As well as all the initiatives listed above, The Large One (who designed the brilliant cover!)will be produsing posters/flyers which will be available for anyone who wants to publicise the single at work, in your local pub, etc. More details soon.

SO HOW MANY DO WE NEED TO SELL?
Here are the Top 40 sales figures for the first week in January in previous years. Say no more.

__ 2003_______ 2002_______ 2001
_
1._______ 56410_______ 23534_______ 68471
5._________19103_______ 11915_______ 31465
10._______ 10237_______ 9395_______ 16668
15._______ 6355_______ 6613___________ 10063
20._______ 5259_______ 5597___________ 7857
25._______ 4249_______ 4972___________ 5318
30._______ 3117_______ 3749___________ 3643
35_______ 2716_______ 2619___________ 3049
40._______ 2073_______ 2360___________ 2344
_

ORDERING DETAILS

ONLINE ORDERS
http://www2.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1&sku=346884
(and the cover is up there now, looks great!)

The best way to explain how to order it online if you’re in the pub or wherever is just ask people to go to hmv.co.uk and type ‘Seagulls Ska’ into the internal search engine.

CREDIT CARD PREORDERS BY PHONE and CREDIT CARD/CASH IN PERSON FROM THE FOLLOWING SHOPS:

ABOVE ALL

ROUNDER RECORDS LTD
19 BRIGHTON SQUARE
BRIGHTON EAST SUSSEX
BN1 1HD
Phone No__ 01273 325440

Phil at Rounder is a real Albion fan, 100% behind this idea and committed to helping us in any way he can. If you’re talking to people in the Brighton/Hove area who aren’t online, this is the one to go for.

RESIDENT
28 KENSINGTON GARDENS
BRIGHTON
E SUSSEX
BN1 4AL
Phone No__ 01273 606312

OCTAVE_
18 HIGH STREET
LEWES
EAST SUSSEX
BN7 2LN
Phone No__ 01273 473611

POWERPLAY RECORDS
55 TERMINUS ROAD
EASTBOURNE
E SUSSEX
BN21 3LX
Phone No__ 01323 736292

JINGLES MUSIC STORE
4 RAILWAY APPROACH
EAST GRINSTEAD
WEST SUSSEX
RH19 1BP
Phone No__ 01342 325215

It is also possible to order it in person from any branch of HMV or Virgin. It will be a good idea if people do this because it will make the store managers realise that there
is a lot of interest in the record. Ask for ‘Tom Hark (We Want Falmer!) by Seagulls Ska, on Falmer For All Records, distributed by Vital Distribution.

The Press Release

ALBION FANS RELEASE SINGLE IN SUPPORT OF OUR NEW STADIUM AT FALMER WITH
BACKING OF SPONSORS SKINT RECORDS

‘Tom Hark (We Want Falmer!)’ by SEAGULLS SKA
on Falmer For All Records
Distributed by VITAL
Please Pre-Order NOW from the online & retail outlets below
Release Date Monday, January 3rd 2005
ALL PROFITS TO THE ALBION ALIVE & KICKING FUND

‘The whole thing’s daft
We don’t know why
We have to laugh
Or else we’ll cry
Our ground’s too small
The costs too high
Without Falmer
Our club will die’

Seven years since the Goldstone Ground was destroyed by uncaring moneymen, seven years of fans’ campaigns - and still Brighton & Hove Albion doesn’t have a proper home. So here’s another chapter in the story of the Albion supporters’ battle to save our club.....

A few weeks ago we had the idea of reclaiming the Piranhas’ national football ska hit ‘Tom Hark’ for Brighton with new lyrics in support of our stadium , with the dual aim of raising money for the Albion’s Alive & Kicking Fund and trying to take the Falmer For All Campaign into the Top 20 in the month before the Public Enquiry restarts! The Piranhas were Brighton through and through, in the forefront of the local punk scene in the late Seventies and early Eighties. Many of us have very fond memories of their gigs at legendary Brighton venues like the Vault and the Alhambra and it has always seemed quite ironic to me to hear their song blasting out from other clubs’ PA systems and chanted by opposing fans.

So as part of the campaign for our new stadium, ‘Seagulls Ska’ proudly present our new version of ‘Tom Hark’ along with a seriously ska version of our beloved anthem ‘Sussex By The Sea’ - and the alternative 1990 Cup Final song for our rivals ‘Chrystal’ Palace! Of course, you’ll hear ‘Tom Hark’ at the next few Albion home games....

This record is dedicated to all the fans who have battled so long , so hard and with such creativity and imagination to keep our club alive: to the Piranhas, especially Bob Grover, who inspired it and who has given us his blessing: to Dick Knight and the Albion board, who pulled us back from the brink: and of course to the Albion players, whose dedication, commitment and self-belief against unbelievable odds have given a club with no ground and no money three promotions in four years. And to Skint for backing us. Thanks.
Attila the Stockbroker/John Baine

THE TRACKS:
1. TOM HARK (We Want Falmer!)
(Bopeape/Baine/Grover)
2. SUSSEX BY THE SEA (Instrumental Version)
(Traditional)
3.SUSSEX BY THE SEA (Singalong Version)
(Traditional)
4. ROLL UP FOR THE DONKEY DERBY....
(Baine)

SEAGULLS SKA are:
M.M.McGhee (no relation!) drums: David Beaken - bass: Dan Woods - guitar
Ralph Brown - solo sax: Marlon Johnson - trombone: Tony Fish - trumpet: Alan Perry: sax
Attila the Stockbroker - vocals, lyrics
Bacing vocals by the Falmer For All Choir featuring Dave Cook and Too Many Crooks

PRE-ORDERING:

It is vital that people who wish to support our efforts pre-order the single as soon as possible. Under normal circumstances, distribution and other costs mean that singles lose money. In order for this one to make money for the Club, Skint Records need to have a reasonably good idea of how many copies to press, and pre-ordering will make this possible. In addition to pre-ordered copies, if we are going to take the Albion into the charts, we obviously need to sell as many extra copies as possible in the five days immediately following the release date
(Mon 3rd - Sat 8th Jan)
So we’re suggesting people pre order, then buy an extra one for Mr. Prescott after it’s released!To keep down distribution costs, the single will only be available at selected shops, all in Sussex.
But it can be purchased online from anywhere in the world!

jonogulls

Aug 2, 2004
Seriously well done mate!

You're doing more for the club than I will ever do so a big thumbs up from me.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
This is great news John.,and I needed cheering up after reading the threads about "alternative sites":clap2:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Ordered mine - thanks Sir Stockbrocker

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'll pre-order from the Eastbourne shop, well done again.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Ok what happend in 2002? Only 23000 for number 1. If everyone that went to Cardiff buys 1 copy then we will be top 3, and that is before are friends from elsewhere buy one.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Right-ready to order now.

This is a fantastic effort on a lot of people's part-not least you John. Frigging big hand to all involved in bringing it to fruition...those of us sitting and waiting for the release date can now do our bit by going out and buying SHITLOADS of copies. Don't know what I'll do with my copies but who gives a damn?

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
John-you mentioned a spare copy for JP-why not get a spare copy for every MP and MEP too? It's time to up the ante...with the news today from the NIMBYs what's another 10 quid if it keeps us afloat and in a position to carry on fighting the bar stewards?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Bwian said:
John-you mentioned a spare copy for JP-why not get a spare copy for every MP and MEP too? It's time to up the ante...with the news today from the NIMBYs what's another 10 quid if it keeps us afloat and in a position to carry on fighting the bar stewards?

good thinking, maybe we can get every MPs name, those people on here willing to fork out an extra couple of quicd buy & send their designated MP a copy?

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
That is a very good question. I had the same idea myself - get a chart shop to set up a stall outside the match against Watford on the release date, 3rd Jan. I did the necessary enquiries, and unfortunately those sales would be disqualified, thus defeating part of the exercise. A real pity that. We'll all have to buy from a recognised online or retail outlet for them to count.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
How about if Rounder recolds were to have a stall at Withdean this saturday. Could they take pre-orders and payments, then people pick it up from the shop on 3rd Jan?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
attila said:
That is a very good question. I had the same idea myself - get a chart shop to set up a stall outside the match against Watford on the release date, 3rd Jan. I did the necessary enquiries, and unfortunately those sales would be disqualified, thus defeating part of the exercise. A real pity that. We'll all have to buy from a recognised online or retail outlet for them to count.

Take a Laptop to the game and set up stall then :jester:

"BUY YOUR SEAGULLS SKA SINGLE HERE!"

might work!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
attila said:
That is a superb idea Crabbers. If anyone can do it, it would be perfect. If we could get a few people doing it, even better! Basically that is the only way we can presell or sell at the game and still count in the chart placing. Could it possibly happen? Could anybody do this?

Trouble points:

1) Time, it takes a good 3-5mins to go through the ordering process...and then you get people who have never used the internet before!

2) People being wary of using an unknown Laptop and putting their Credit Card number on it, then walking away with nothing (thoeretically)

3) Weather, if it raining you'd need a roof and people wont want to queue.

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
Ordered 4.

I reckon we're gonna be Top 10.

iconnote.gif
iconnote.gif
iconnote.gif
iconnote.gif
iconnote.gif

elefant.sml.gif
elefant.sml.gif