Bradley Johnson
David Livermore
Joe Anyinsah

Strikers:
Stuart Fleetwood

SCHOOLBOY error.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think Adams has been unlucky with injuries; Forster and MacLeod haven't figured a great deal.

That said, the quality of football and team spirit at times has been dire. Also, the kids like Cox, Elphick, Robinson and Fraser are now one year older and you'd expect their contribution to have increased, not decreased.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I thought Wilkins was OK and done well to get them to 7th ....but he has gone and I don't think he is coming back sacked,shoved sideways who knows and does it really matter he has Gone its history Adams is now the manager of Brighton and Hove Albion and if Wilkins was always going to leave then Adams is as good as any to replace ..................who did you think we should have got then sir Alex Ferguson ...............bit out of our price range don't you think besides the fact he is a tosser anyway.
Adams is tried and tested and by the Albion as well ....give him a chance.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Why is there a need for a target man for every game then?

A manager would have known Fleetwood is not a target man, and would have stopped the team playing the ball high up in the air to a fast midget. But we persisted with a centre back upfront, because he scored a tally of ZERO goals from that position, 1 goal in 19 games (from a penalty), no idea of how to play upfront, and made a great player look terrible

Because when you're playing wide men, it's quite useful to have someone who can head the ball. And it makes sense to try a like for like switch before altering the entire pattern of play to accommodate an unproven player who'd just arrived on loan.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Exactly. Why do people STILL keeping comparing it with the last time he took over? Its totally f***ing different.

He has a limited budget, a temporary stadium, a team capable of performing better than they are, it is not entirely different.

If he came in and took us straight to the top people would point how much better he is doing than last time. We can't ignore he past and it's only natural to compare his last stint with his current stint.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
He has a limited budget, a temporary stadium, a team capable of performing better than they are, it is not entirely different.

If he came in and took us straight to the top people would point how much better he is doing than last time. We can't ignore he past and it's only natural to compare his last stint with his current stint.

And Adams himself has said, you are only as good as your last game.

And that was shit!

I thought Wilkins was OK and done well to get them to 7th ....but he has gone and I don't think he is coming back sacked,shoved sideways who knows and does it really matter he has Gone its history Adams is now the manager of Brighton and Hove Albion and if Wilkins was always going to leave then Adams is as good as any to replace ..................who did you think we should have got then sir Alex Ferguson ...............bit out of our price range don't you think besides the fact he is a tosser anyway.
Adams is tried and tested and by the Albion as well ....give him a chance.

How long does "a chance" last?

How long is it before one can see a manager is tried and tested?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We have MORE players.
A BIGGER playing budget.
LESS wins.
LESS points.

I've yet to hear a single coherent argument from anyone here, as to why anything other than the change of management can be held responsible for that.

I'll give it a try (and I'm not Mickey's biggest fan)

1. More players does not mean better players. Some of our existing players are performing poorly compared to last season. FDM, Richards, Whing and Cox come to mind.

The players brought in by Mickey have, in the main, been a disappointment and flattered to deceive. I honestly thought that Savage would have ran the midfield in this division, but his style is too similar to Thomson and Bomber. Whether the likes of McLeod, Livermore, Hawkins, Thornton and Virgo are shit or have just struggled to settle is as yet undecided. Netiher the manager nor the players know the best system to play, this may be because they are poor at their jobs, or it may be a case of taking time to gel.

2. There are a number of teams this season with bigger budgets, I'm not convinced we've actually increased our budget significantly.

3. We don't have a natural leader, we have not replaced the likes of Carpenter, Butters and Oatway. Thomson SHOULD in theory produce that role, but has been anonymous.

4. Last season we made some very astute loan signings in Racon and Westlake, who gave us vision and pace, and Cox was looking hungry and inventive. This season the midfield has been a disaster, with not a single player impressing.

5. Forster and Murray linked well this season. This season they have missed too many matches through injury, and we clearly have no plan 'B'. (Virgo is not the answer, we knew it when he had his wonder season in the Championship, and it is just as true now).

There is no doubt that this season has been poor, I would give it 4/10, and without Murray and Forster it would be 2/10. Last season we shuttled between 7th and 17th, this season appears to be worse.

For me Adams inherited the core of a very good squad.

Kuipers, Sullivan

Whing, El-Abd, Lynch, Elphick, Pearson

Fraser, Cox, Thomson, Loft, Chamberlain

Murray, Forster, Robinson, Gatting, Dixon

Maybe a couple I've forgotten, and there is some dead wood there, but overall it is decent and Wilkins obviously had plans of what he was going to do build on the promising base. Adams added six players of his own in the summer. He inherited a bad squad? Doesn't wash.

How can you put the following words in the same sentence.

"the core of a very good squad.
......Robinson, Gatting, Dixon" :laugh:

As we have seen thesquad he inherited was patently not good enough at this level. for example, what on earth possessed us to shell out £55k on Dixon who only cost Aldersot £6k and has only played twice for us since january. And no-one has been sniffing around Robinson as a golascorer for ages, and Gatting is now at Whitehawk (enuf said)

the midfielders here are all similar players which means we can only make "like for like " changes during games. Which if we are losing means that the changes are unlikely to improve on anything that has gone before. And the full backs are both far too slow and really vulnerable to a player ith some pace. But worth remembering (to add to the doom an gloom round here) that we enjoyed our best start to a season for seven years............

Last edited:

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
The appointment of both Wilkins and Adams were Knights cheap option, Wilkins did well to take us to 7th place but was dismissed. Adams star was dimming and he was desperate to get back into football, he knew the lack of cash available but took a chance.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'll give it a try (and I'm not Mickey's biggest fan)

1. More players does not mean better players. Some of our existing players are performing poorly compared to last season. FDM, Richards, Whing and Cox come to mind.

Who's job is it to make them perform?[/B]

The players brought in by Mickey have, in the main, been a disappointment and flattered to deceive. I honestly thought that Savage would have ran the midfield in this division, but his style is too similar to Thomson and Bomber. Whether the likes of McLeod, Livermore, Hawkins, Thornton and Virgo are shit or have just struggled to settle is as yet undecided. Netiher the manager nor the players know the best system to play, this may be because they are poor at their jobs, or it may be a case of taking time to gel.

Who's job is it to make them perform?[/B]

2. There are a number of teams this season with bigger budgets, I'm not convinced we've actually increased our budget significantly.

Livermore, McLeod, Hawkins, Virgo all signed from the Championship, presumably on decent wages.

3. We don't have a natural leader, we have not replaced the likes of Carpenter, Butters and Oatway. Thomson SHOULD in theory produce that role, but has been anonymous.

Who's job is it to choose a leader and make them lead?[/B]

4. Last season we made some very astute loan signings in Racon and Westlake, who gave us vision and pace, and Cox was looking hungry and inventive. This season the midfield has been a disaster, with not a single player impressing.

Who's job is it to choose the loanees and integrate them?[/B]

5. Forster and Murray linked well this season. This season they have missed too many matches through injury, and we clearly have no plan 'B'. (Virgo is not the answer, we knew it when he had his wonder season in the Championship, and it is just as true now).

Who's job is it to identify weaknesses in the squad and address them?[/B]

Thanks for the valiant effort, but if that's the best defence of the managements culpability, that's pretty much case closed.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Thanks for the valiant effort, but if that's the best defence of the managements culpability, that's pretty much case closed.

1. It's 90% personal responsibility to perform in my view.
2. It takes time, there is a case of rose tinted glasses about our football last season.
3. As for the loanees, it's pot luck, I think we overplay the importance of the manager at times.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
1. It's 90% personal responsibility to perform in my view.
2. It takes time, there is a case of rose tinted glasses about our football last season.
3. As for the loanees, it's pot luck, I think we overplay the importance of the manager at times.

1. I agree, but then its that 10% that makes the difference, isn't it?

2. It takes time to completely rebuild a side. It should have taken a week or so to see that the side didn't NEED rebuilding, just refining. No rose tints here - some of the football was dire, but the INTENT was at least good.

3. How come when a decent loanee agrees to come here its all down to the POWER OF MICKEY, yet when they fail to perform, that's 'pot luck'?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
1. I agree, but then its that 10% that makes the difference, isn't it?

2. It takes time to completely rebuild a side. It should have taken a week or so to see that the side didn't NEED rebuilding, just refining. No rose tints here - some of the football was dire, but the INTENT was at least good.

3. How come when a decent loanee agrees to come here its all down to the POWER OF MICKEY, yet when they fail to perform, that's 'pot luck'?

1. I agree, but perhaps there are things taking placed behind closed doors that we are not aware of. It was certainly the case with DW.

2. I agree it takes time, some of the football played at the start of the season was good (Crewe and Southend come to mind), some has been shit. To write MA off as a long ball merchant is a bit harsh, we didn't play such football the first time he was here.

3. I've never said that was the case. Loanees are surely just as much the responsibility of Barry Lloyd as there are MA or DW. Bazza's track record is as mixed as anyone else's. For every Garry Nelson, Mike Small, John Byrne etc there was a Mark Farringdon.

At the start of the season I thought we would be top half but no guarantee for playoffs. The rationale behind this is that this season the opposition are better. MK Dons, Posh, Leeds, Leicester and Scunny are the best teams in the division. We should be in a chasing pack of about half a dozen including the likes of Millwall et al chasing the final playoff place..........and at present we are not, so people are unhappy, and rightly so. Changing the manager will not necessarily address that issue this season.

Oh...........and we should not have got rid of Guy Butters, his contribution both on and off the pitch was in my view vastly underrated.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

The side did need rebuilding in certain places, Westlake and Racon have returned to their host clubs, Butters was let go, Thomson has never been the player we hoped he would be, Lynch decided he was too good for us, Robinson, Gatting, Dixon, McFool and others were/are not up to it.

To lay the loss of form at the feet at MA may or may not be correct, but look at some of the rejects that the likes of Alex Ferguson has made over the years who turned out to be pretty good players but were shit at United. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here