Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 89.5%
  • 1-0 up?

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

Blinkers

Jul 8, 2020
Watching Montreal v Orlando in the 1st round of the MLS cup and Montreal go 1-0 up. Then the bell tolls! I think it sounds somewhat ominous but at the same time a bit tinpot, like drums and clackers but definitely more ominous than tinpot. Heavens forbid, should we go 1-0 up, should we have our own death knell directed towards our opposition?

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I think all such things are tinpot, including goal music, and people sat behind each goal with a big flag to wave when someone scores. I cannot believe Arsenal employ four people full time to sit there behind the goal to do this. The MOST tinpot for me though are the sodding West Ham bubbles. I find them REALLY tinpot and embarrassing. And ridiculous. I know there's the tenuous story about people in air raid shelters in the East End singing the song, but even so.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I think all such things are tinpot, including goal music, and people sat behind each goal with a big flag to wave when someone scores. I cannot believe Arsenal employ four people full time to sit there behind the goal to do this.

Surely they are on zero-hours contracts? Full time for a few hours work a week? Sounds like easy money.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
No!

I remember Scarborough coming to the Goldstone for a FA Cup 3rd round tie and that bloody woman with a bloody cowbell in the NE corner. 1978 that was and it still haunts me.

No!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Whether or not these things are tin-pot depends on whether they happen organically and stem from fan culture, or are just a stupid idea from some corporate suit who's watched a couple of videos about the club in question from the 1980s.

The chainsaw (Portland) and bell (Montreal) are organic and reflect the history of the two cities. Montreal's ultras are behind the goal where the bell tolls, and they are mental. I don't think they'd tolerate some stupid idea unless there was buy-in from the majority of the support. The logging is done in front of that massive curve behind the goal at Portland - same thing applies.

So for us to put in a bell absolutely would be tin pot.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I'd rather go for cannons like the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, not fake ones though, proper ones, aimed at stuff/people.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
VAR would screw anything like that up anyway.

Last edited:

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I'm never quite sure why almost everyone dismisses the idea of a drum almost unanimous feedback that Amex atmosphere is crap and numerous examples of it galvanising other crowds.

But no, must be 'tinpot'

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
I'm never quite sure why almost everyone dismisses the idea of a drum almost unanimous feedback that Amex atmosphere is crap and numerous examples of it galvanising other crowds.

But no, must be 'tinpot'
Because it would upset that large section of hooray Henrys we have these days that just want to watch Brighton in peace while moaning about those loud oiks that dare to sing songs.

I still can't get over the Leeds game, sitting next to the poshest family I've ever encountered. It was like a Harry Enfield comedy sketch with the posh child asking his even posher parents why the Leeds fans are singing and why they are so loud and the whole family just bemused at these northern oiks singing loudly.

Brother Sid

Jan 4, 2006
Horsham
No, my hearing was permanently damaged at the Goldstone by that Man City supporting woman that used to clank her bell every time they got near the opposing team’s penalty area

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

But no, must be 'tinpot'
Tinpot like Dortmund / Boca / Galatasaray etc.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I like it.

Imo MLS teams need things like this to inject some extra atmosphere into the games and over time, it’ll become a part of the clubs history.

When done right (like the bell), I think it’s great to have, particularly with Canadian soccerball.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
American sports have always had this kind of thing and it works well for them, not sure it would translate well over here. We're all far too precious and take it serious.
We could get a seagull squawk if/when we score playing out instead of that dullard reynolds announcing it. Or the marina fog horn?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

But no, must be 'tinpot'
Every bit of fan culture that isn't "lets stay quiet, bar the occasional groan to get it forward, until we're winning" seem to be considered "tinpot" by a fair few. No wonder the Premier League fan culture got a reputation for being dull and quiet.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Re a drum. Was at the Spain England ladies game and the drum really added atmosphere to encourage clapping and singing. Then last weeks friendly the drum was there but no singing this time. The drum just couldn't get the crowd going.
But moving on.
What would be associated with the Seagulls. Perhaps when we score a seagull is released and someone in 1901 gets to shoot it down.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Re a drum. Was at the Spain England ladies game and the drum really added atmosphere to encourage clapping and singing. Then last weeks friendly the drum was there but no singing this time. The drum just couldn't get the crowd going.
But moving on.
What would be associated with the Seagulls. Perhaps when we score a seagull is released and someone in 1901 gets to shoot it down.
Gully and co should dive bomb the away fans and nick their chips.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
No, I don’t want us to try and get a big, loud bell. Piers Morgan is already an Arsenal fan, don’t want him at the Amex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here