[Albion] Time to do a deal with Chelsea

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't understand why Chelsea fans think they know best by insisting our players aren't worth £100m. We're the ones who've watched them all season. If Declan Rice is the benchmark then Caicedo is worth something close to that figure. Rice went for £105m after 3 or 4 good seasons, but he never guided them as high as 6th, and he has been outplayed by Caicedo when they have met. On the other hand, Rice's fee includes a premium for being English but to counterbalance that, Caicedo is still only 21. He's easily worth £90m at current prices.

I remain convinced that he won't be going anywhere because seemingly nobody wants to pay that to Brighton & Hove Albion for a player with one stellar season under his belt. Fair enough, but Bloom doesn't need to be lowering his price because of that.

He'll have a relatively small strop, then it'll all be forgotten. He could then well have another outstanding season and the club will be far less hard-nosed about accommodating his transfer request in a year from now.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I don't understand why Chelsea fans think they know best by insisting our players aren't worth £100m. We're the ones who've watched them all season. If Declan Rice is the benchmark then Caicedo is worth something close to that figure. Rice went for £105m after 3 or 4 good seasons, but he never guided them as high as 6th, and he has been outplayed by Caicedo when they have met. On the other hand, Rice's fee includes a premium for being English but to counterbalance that, Caicedo is still only 21. He's easily worth £90m at current prices.

I remain convinced that he won't be going anywhere because seemingly nobody wants to pay that to Brighton & Hove Albion for a player with one stellar season under his belt. Fair enough, but Bloom doesn't need to be lowering his price because of that.

He'll have a relatively small strop, then it'll all be forgotten. He could then well have another outstanding season and the club will be far less hard-nosed about accommodating his transfer request in a year from now.
Did they not finish 6th a couple of seasons back? Not that that discredits the rest of your post.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
How clubs account for transfer fees in their accounts and how and when they actually pay each other for players are two entirely separate things.
I appreciate that, Chelsea have been offering 8 year contracts so they can spread the cost on their accounts, that's been stopped.

The point still stands Bloom will want the majority of the fee upfront. It's something Naylor has stated regarding previous transfers out, Trossard and Mac Alister for example.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Eh? Why would you choose a goalkeeper who has publicly REFUSED to play second choice/compete for his spot as a suitable candidate to bring in to play second fiddle to Kepa?

Chelsea :jester:

Have you ever been to an actual game?
He probably watches on TV in a room decorated with replica shirts and films himself and puts it on you tube like the other idiots.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Oh, I see what you mean about Colwill, yes. However I think the Colwill conversation between Boehly and Bloom happened a while ago, hence the impasse. I think Bloom might have tried to be a little too cute in that one - valuing Colwill at £30m and Caicedo at £100m+.

I suppose a lot of this will depend on Caicedo's attitude - if he stays, knuckles down and commits himself to the cause then Bloom is right to play hard ball. If he causes a stink then Albion could have a problem on their hands, and De Zerbi has already shown, with Sanchez, he's not adept at handling the ego of a disgruntled player.

That's why I see the deal being done - Chelsea take 2 unhappy players from Brighton in return for a massive wedge.

The other issue though is the Caicedo replacement. If as reported Albion were looking at Ugachukwu then Bloom appears to be being outmanoevered by Boehly. If not then it's less of an issue. Overall though with all that noises being made it would seem it's likely that Moises Caicedo moves this window.
Wow....you really do seem to think you know what Tony Bloom is doing and thinking.....bravo. I'm quite certain you are the only one on this planet who knows that.

Personally, I just think you're a trolling ignoramus, that knows incredibly little....and more likely....nothing.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Eh? Why would you choose a goalkeeper who has publicly REFUSED to play second choice/compete for his spot as a suitable candidate to bring in to play second fiddle to Kepa?

Chelsea :jester:
£££££££

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I appreciate that, Chelsea have been offering 8 year contracts so they can spread the cost on their accounts, that's been stopped.

The point still stands Bloom will want the majority of the fee upfront. It's something Naylor has stated regarding previous transfers out, Trossard and Mac Alister for example.
I feel like I keep saying this...

Generally when people discuss transfer fees being "up front" they mean the initial fee, ie before any performance-related add-on fees. They generally don't mean "a cash lump sum paid immediately".

Arsenal bought Ben White for £50m "up front" but they will almost certainly be paying that fee to the Albion over a number of years.

You reference Naylor's writings on this. Here's a para from an article he wrote on the Cucurella transfer...

The Athletic understands Brighton will receive an up-front sum for the left-sided Spanish defender of £56million ($68million), with the prospect of a further £7million ($8.5million) in additional clauses.​

You can see that "up-front" refers to the initial fee. Chelsea won't have paid the reported £58m when the deal was struck - they'll be paying us for a while.

Gordon Celery

Jul 31, 2023
Waiting to see how well things shape up next season, won't do him any harm at all.
He has had 2 big clubs bid big money for him in the space of 6 months.
If he's being well advised, there will be no issue.
One of the issues for Moises appears to be that his agent makes Charlie Kane look like Mino Raiola. He wanted to move so his agent signed him up to a long contract with no release clause - and if we believe the press there was some kind of "gentleman's agreement" he would be allowed to move. Signing that contract was naive in the extreme.

As it stands though there seems to have been little in the way of noise from Moises camp in agitating for the move - aside from the usual minor social media rumblings. Given as you said he overcame his wanderlust in January may give Albion fans hope of him doing the same for the coming season.

Bloom is playing a somewhat dangerous game though as preventing an elite young player from moving on will set alarm bells off when signing future prospects. Agents and players will be aware of the Caicedo situation and in future may well be reticent to sign for Brighton, or at least ensure a suitable release fee and/or wage improvement is in the contract. The modus operandi has thus far been to acquire some of the best young talent under the promise of first team playing time and a big move. Are we seeing a seismic shift in Brighton's strategy, or is Bloom simply seeking to extract maximum value from this deal? I'd wager the latter.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
And that's fair if Bloom isn't willing to negotiate down from his set 100m number, but I hope we don't end up paying it because imho, Caicedo simply isn't anywhere near a 100m asset for Chelsea.

So I hope we try for one more bid between 85-90m, and if it's not accepted just move on
If you get him for £100m, in two years time when you sell him for double that to Real Madrid (*) it would seem like a bargain

(*) Or £300m to one of the Saudi teams.

Gordon Celery

Jul 31, 2023
Wow....you really do seem to think you know what Tony Bloom is doing and thinking.....bravo. I'm quite certain you are the only one on this planet who knows that.

Personally, I just think you're a trolling ignoramus, that knows incredibly little....and more likely....nothing.

Nobody can *know* what somebody is thinking, it's just an opinion.

The incredible irony is that you're accusing and berating somebody for doing the exact thing you're doing in your own post. 😂

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

The incredible irony is that you're accusing and berating somebody for doing the exact thing you're doing in your own post. 😂
Yeah....but I'm not a sad f*** who goes on another clubs forum to spout theoretical nonsense.

You must have some friends surely...?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Bloom is playing a somewhat dangerous game though as preventing an elite young player from moving on will set alarm bells off when signing future prospects. Agents and players will be aware of the Caicedo situation and in future may well be reticent to sign for Brighton
Cobblers.

How one player is handled isn't reflective of overall policy.

albionite

May 20, 2009

Why don’t you f*ck off back to the shed end and carry moaning about modern day slavery

Reactions: cjd

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I feel like I keep saying this...

Generally when people discuss transfer fees being "up front" they mean the initial fee, ie before any performance-related add-on fees. They generally don't mean "a cash lump sum paid immediately".

Arsenal bought Ben White for £50m "up front" but they will almost certainly be paying that fee to the Albion over a number of years.

You reference Naylor's writings on this. Here's a para from an article he wrote on the Cucurella transfer...

The Athletic understands Brighton will receive an up-front sum for the left-sided Spanish defender of £56million ($68million), with the prospect of a further £7million ($8.5million) in additional clauses.​

You can see that "up-front" refers to the initial fee. Chelsea won't have paid the reported £58m when the deal was struck - they'll be paying us for a while.
Again I appreciate what you posted but Naylor stated previously that Bloom has requested full payment previously. I'll try to find the article, I believe it was a Q and A session he held on the Athletic where he stated we received full payment on the contract signing.

Typically initial upfront fee would be 50% on the day of transfer. The rest spread over an agreed term.

Ice Man

Jan 5, 2006
Bloom is playing a somewhat dangerous game though as preventing an elite young player from moving on will set alarm bells off when signing future prospects. Agents and players will be aware of the Caicedo situation and in future may well be reticent to sign for Brighton, or at least ensure a suitable release fee and/or wage improvement is in the contract.

Here we go again. Leeds fans made the same claim when we were rejecting their bids for Ben White, Arsenal fans were saying the same when they were in for Caicedo. It’s nonsense.

Ben White, Dan Burn, Yves Bissouma, Marc Cucurella, Neal Maupay, Leandro Trossard, Alexis Mac Allister. Just some of the players allowed to leave in recent times, all joining bigger clubs. And yet we’ve replaced almost, possibly all, of these players with even better players, and players with even more potential. But players won't want to join us? Either way, Brighton won't be held to ransom over contract demands from players/agents, so if the deal isn't right we'll walk away.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Have you ever been to an actual game?
You have to see a player like Moises live. If you watch him on TV you don't really appreciate how dynamic he is. When you can see the whole pitch and see the ground he covers you realise what an incredible athlete and talent he is. I think you also appreciate how aggressive he is with the ball. He's not a DM that plays square or backwards passes. The moment he gets the ball his head is up and he is trying to drive play forwards.
I think all that is lost a little on TV. Same with Biss, and why I know he will come good. Easy to criticise him at Spurs if you just watch MOTD. Once you see him in the flesh it's like 'wow'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports