Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time to Change the Manager....

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
Sven will NOT be sacked as the compensation the F.A will have to pay will be massive!!!

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
What constitutes success and failure for an England manager?

We are not going to win every tournament, we will be luckily to win a tournament at any time.

lincs seagull

Feb 25, 2004
boston
fatboy said:
What constitutes success and failure for an England manager?

We are not going to win every tournament, we will be luckily to win a tournament at any time.

yeah but it is nice to get close

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Success is winning it, and i beleive we had a great chance of doing that.

But Q/Finals isnt.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Only one team is going to win a tournament every two years.

Discounting the smaller countries, are we are going to see about seven coaches deemed a failure and in need of replacing?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Sven has had more than one tournament now.

If we do go out I want to see us going out playing the way i know we can play, not defending for our lives for 90% of the
game.

If we had gone out being beaten 2-1 comfotably in normal time, everyone would have wanted sven out.

True we didnt get the run of the ball and were unlucky to have our goal chalked off, but that wouldnt have hidden the manner of the performance.

And yes Spain, Italy, Holland ( even if they win it !) and as we have seen Germany will all change manager....

Last edited:

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
id like to see someone with some passion inside of the national side but there is no obvious candidate for the job

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
How about appointing a man who was a superb attacking player, won about 60 England caps, has Continental experience and respect, has managed at both Premiership and top international tournament level, and is currently available.

Yep, you all know it makes sense.

Bring back Hod!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I stand by Sven - currently I don't think we could have a better manager.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Marshy (and other), as I said on the other thread I'm 47 and have sat through decades of dire England performances. When I was young, like you, I thought that if only we could change the manager everything would be OK. When Ramsey was struggling during the 1974 qualifying campaign we really wanted him out, eventually the FA bowed to public pressure and sacked him. In his place they appointed Don Revie the Leeds manager. He was a sort of superior Martin O'Neill as he'd domestically won far more than O'Neill has and he'd turned Leeds from being Second Division nobodies into one of the strongest teams in the land.

We were all really pleased. England had sacked the ditherer Ramsey and had got a man who really knew how to win. We knew we had excellent players who were capable of winning the World Cup and the fact we hadn't qualified with those players had all been Ramsey's fault. Things would be better now.

Well they weren't. England actually went from bad to worse and the man who'd looked so powerful in the domestic game was a complete failure at international level. He eventually resigned and went to Saudi Arabia and the FA got in Ron Greenwood. We were all really pleased, England had the players, what we needed was a better manager who .... etc etc etc etc.

And so it's gone on, year after year, tournament after tournament, manager after manager. Always the cry is the same "we've got the players, we need a better manager". And that's the point, we haven't REALLY got the players, we always delude ourselves that English players are the best despite decades of evidence to the contarary. You're right, we've got a good set at the moment - but so have (as always) a lot of other countries. Again as per usual our defeat is being blamed on everything except the fact that our opponents were also a set of skilfull, able, talented footballers who were just as good as anything we can produce.

Sacking the Mangager will NOT mean we win in Germany 2006. Trust me, I've seen it all before and it doesn't work. Ever.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I'm older than you Brovian so have seen even more.

I agree with every single thing you have typed there.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Brovian also assumes I am a teenager or somewhere there abouts.
Ok so im not 40 odd, but at 32 i have seen a fair amount of football and no progress has been made over the time of Svens reign.

If we dont change manager what do you suggest we do ?

Brought this thread Back for Easy.

Last edited:

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
To quote David Baddiel - "has Sven ever made a f***ing positive attacking substitution in his life...!!??"

Answer: NO!

Case in point, any substitution in any competitive England match since he became manager.

:nono: :nono: :nono:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
H block said:
When you need a bit extra from the bench Sven is found wanting IMHO.We should have learnt that we need to kill teams off not hang on for dear life after our lessons from the French match.
And the Brazil match. And the Argentina match (which, although we held on for a glorious result, was yet another match where we were absolutely battered by the opposition).

Even the SWISS were giving us a good going-over until Rooney scored against the run of play - I was shitting bricks as the crosses went raining in during that match, while the midfield were once again chasing shadows.

How many convincing England performances have we had under Sven ? You know, when we havn't scraped through, or stumbled to a barely deserved result ? Croatia was a good display against mediocre opposition, but other than that, England have been pretty bloody poor. And there were plenty of qualifying games where we were tearing our hair out at the performances against such illuminaries as Macedonia and Slovakia.

We can't live on that bloody 5-1 forever.

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Marshy said:
Brovian also assumes I am a teenager or somewhere there abouts.
Ok so im not 40 odd, but at 32 i have seen a fair amount of football and no progress has been made over the time of Svens reign.

If we dont change manager what do you suggest we do ?

Brought this thread Back for Easy.
No progress?? Are you quite mad? Before Sven we were eliminated at the Group stage in Euro 2000, (having only scraped through via the play-offs in the first place) and we were bottom of our 2002 World Cup Qualifying group. Prior to that in 1998 we only reached the 2nd round. Under Sven we turned the W.C qualifiers around and reached the quarter finals of both the World Cup and Euro championships. Without wishing to be pedantic that is progress how ever you look at it, but, hey, don't let the facts get in the way of emotive polemic.

Yes he's made mistakes. Many of them and quite often the same ones again and again; his substitutions for example are ALWAYS appalling. If we could get Arsene Wenger - fine, but you are really deluding yourself if you think we're going to win the World Cup - or even reach the quarter finals again - with a one-trick pony like Martin O'Neill (who incidentally wasn't considered good enough for Liverpool).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here