Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time to Change the Manager....

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I stick with my first post in that O'Neill is the man to take us forward.

The man is a born winner, committed and passionate about his sides, they are always well organised and unlike Keegan for example has won trophies and got a very average side to European cup finals etc.

lincs seagull

Feb 25, 2004
boston
El Presidente said:
Arsene Wenger.......but he has won f*** all of course

Wenger is often out of his seat

not having a go at sven all i can say is that no ones perfect all have there pit falls i rate the bloke but england have not got the winning mentality and the manager which can do that still has not turned up.

the italians are in the same postion except they buckle more at the latter stages than us

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Marshy said:
I stick with my first post in that O'Neill is the man to take us forward.

The man is a born winner, committed and passionate about his sides, they are always well organised and unlike Keegan for example has won trophies and got a very average side to European cup finals etc.

maybe your right.

however i do think the press(who will start calling for his head soon) should remember would a good job he has done

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Barry Fry runs up and down the touchline with his passion and commitment, but that does not make him a good manager.

If the players cannot be inspired by the pride of playing for their country and the 40,000 fans in the stadium last night then they should not play again for England.

It is Sven's job to pick the squad, the team, the tactics and substitutions, not to wave his arms around like a windmill and hurl abuse at the referee. He tries to use his brain, unlike the likes of former England manager 'passionate' Kevin Keegan, who would not be able to tell the difference between tactics and a wombat

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
O'Neill is the one who's been suggested, why is everyone going off on a tangent about Kevin Fecking Keegan.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Icy Gull said:
O'Neill is the one who's been suggested, why is everyone going off on a tangent about Kevin Fecking Keegan.

Exactly. O'Neill shows commitment and drive as well as producing well organised sides and has a tactical brain unlike those previously mentioned.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
O'Neill is tactically naive in my view. It is one thing to win a two horse race in Scotland, another to outwit the best minds in Europe.

Big Phil got the Portuguese tactics spot on last night. He saw that England were physically tired, so played four up front and encouraged his players to keep runnning at England.

My only gripe with Sven was bringing on Phil Neville, whose attempted rugby tackle on Rui Costa was an embarrasment and lead directly to the second (fansastic had it not been against us) goal.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
You dont get Celtic to a Uefa Cup Final and unluckily lose to Porto who followed that up by winning the Champions league this season by being Tactically Naive !

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
The more i think about this the more im sure that Sven has to go.
Only if O'Neill takes over though.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Marshy - I disagree. The only reason a player like Rooney was starting in this tournament was because Sven initially gambled on him. How many managers have we seen in the past who have looked at young players performing in the premier league and said -'Give them a bit of time to grow...' At the 98 world cup, Owen only got to start a game after a few blinding performances as sub even though he'd been superb for Liverpool all that season.

There are very few managers around that could do a better job (I can only think of Wenger) and they are unlikely to want the England seat anyway. Under Sven we have now been narrowly beaten 3 times in major tournaments - once to the eventual winners, once to the reigning champions and once to the hosts (and possible winners). This is probably the best record of any england manager since Alf Ramsay.

He's given us some great results in the meantime - 5-1 over Germany and revenge over the Argies spring to mind. And this despite the fact that our best striker (Owen) is virtually a dwarf, the best fit goalkeeper is nicknamed 'Calamity' and, despite his obvious limitations, Gary Neville is the best England qualified right back available.

I have a feeling that our time will come in our old enemy's backyard in 2006.

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I certainly hope so.

His hand was forced with Rooney as Heskey and Vassell clearly arent good enough for a starting birth.

I just dont see Sven getting anymore out of the side than he already does.
The personel wont be changing between now and the World Cup. So why are you so confident ?

Last edited:

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Sven gave out all the wrong signs to the Portugese with his substitutions.Putting Neville and Hargreaves on who are both defensive minded really just played into the oppositions hands.I would have thought bringing in Scholes from the wide position to play in the hole left by Rooneys absence would have been the obvious move and that would have allowed us to play thru the midfield like we did against Croatia and not just keep punting long like we did last night.Then Dyer could have played the wide role and perhaps have pushed their wide men back a little.When you need a bit extra from the bench Sven is found wanting IMHO.We should have learnt that we need to kill teams off not hang on for dear life after our lessons from the French match.Mind you if Beckham could take penalties we would have played Greece today and would then be looking forward to the Dutch game in the semi`s.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I think the personnel will change slightly and for the better. Possibly Glen Johnson for Gary Neville, Chris Kirkland for David James and maybe Joe Cole and/or Defoe may mature to provide back-up or alternative to Owen/Rooney. Ledley King will probably also be a better player, as will Lampard.

Hargreaves may also come and play in England which would also improve his game.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
The personell wont change trust me.
Kirkland i would hope, but he is so injury prone.

Glen Johnson is light years off Neville at Right back, and will be lucky to play more than 20 games for Chelsea between now and the world cup in 2 years time.

Ledley King wont be in the squad if eveyone is fit. Campbell, Ferdinand, Woodgate and Terry are all stronger players.

And the other players you mentioned are all squad players as you said.

The only way we can change things is too change the manager, and Martin O'Neill is the stand out choice.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Actually, I forgot about Woodgate and Ferdinand both of whom improve our squad.

I think you're forgetting that the midfield partnership between Lampard and Gerrard was only a few games old. They will probably now play together at Chelski and that can only be good for England as well.

I disagree with you about Neville vs Johnson. OK, Neville played better in this tournament than he has for a while, but still not as well as Danny Mills did two years ago IMHO. I think Johnson will gradually get more games for Chelski as time goes on, or he will be moved out to where he can get a game. Morinho has already said he doesn't want a huge squad of players doing nothing. From what I saw of him last season he looks very promising.

Don't get me wrong - I rate O'Neill as a manager but I don't think he would get any more out of this squad than Eriksson will. Remember that Eriksson had a good record at club level and a lot of what he wants to do in friendlies is limited by negotiating with clubs for availability of their players.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
O'Neill gets more out of Players than any other manager out there at the moment, bar Wenger maybe.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This is an incredibly depressing thread. Martin O'Neill!! The bloke is great if you want to produce an honest, hard-working team of triers who can punch above their weight for a couple of seasons.

But if you want a decent team you need a manager who is chief talent is NOT motivation. The "us against the world" mentality works to a certain level (think Jack Charlton and Ireland) but like Route One, POMO football it will never work at the highest level. Remember Keegan, remember Taylor, and most of all remember Revie who like O'Neill was an extremely successful club manager but was out of his depth in the international game.

We've just had our highest EVER finish in a foreign Euro tournament since the present format was adopted in the 70s. Yes Sven is not perfect but apart from Wenger I can think of no one else remotely up to the task.

Saying 'replace sven because we only got to the quarter-finals' is like saying 'sack Mcghee because we only went up via the play-offs". Do you REALLY want England to go backwards, do you REALLY want to go through the whole 'bedding in' process with a new man and possibly screw up qualification for the 2006 World Cup?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
You cant compare O'Neill to Keegan or Taylor.

This guy has success wherever he goes including Europe, and in my opinion the best 11 are already playing for England, bar Ferdinand and a change of keeper that isnt going to change.

Im looking for someone that is going to give us that extra 10 percent and i feel O'neill is more likely to do that than Sven.

If we stay as we are with Sven in charge i guarnatee you we will go out again in a similar fashion in Germany 2006, and then you will all be calling for his head.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here