Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time for Tony Bloom to step down?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
To be fair to Bloom, Mike Bamber had a club that had a ground. Bloom didnt and had to build one but I'm not going to argue that Bloom was better than Bamber or visa versa, they were / are both great for this club and to compare then there are numerous factors you have to take into account. Who knows what Bamber would have achieved and how the history of the Albion could have been different. Who knows what more Bloom will achieve.
One thing for sure there were a lot more people on Bambers case back in the day than are after Tony Bloom (at present)
The time it took to get the new roof on the North Stand used to piss everyone off and there were a whole list of grievances with his way at times. Very confrontational at times and he wasn't everyone's cup of tea. He wanted success though and he always looked like he loved the Albion.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Which he said at the start of the season and has not reiterated since, clutching at straws for a reason to dislike the board. And you only reinforce my earlier post. People thinking we have a God given right to be a play off chasing team.

I'm not sure that a board bolstered by five barely (or non) Albion supporting finance men since the present chairman took over is destined to be naturally likeable. We can only guess about how effective it is although the available evidence isn't glittering.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I'm not sure that a board bolstered by five barely (or non) Albion supporting finance men since the present chairman took over is destined to be naturally likeable. We can only guess about how effective it is although the available evidence isn't glittering.

I can understand why people would dislike the non-supporting board members. However, I personally think it's safe to have non-partisanship in the board (of course, to some extent) than to have it overwhelmingly or entirely Albion fan ran. Purely because of emotional decision making is often irrational, the club means a lot to a lot of people. I'd feel more comfortable having professionals than fans on the board. Unless we had professionals that are fans, that'd be a bonus. But I'd worry about whether decisions are being because of emotion rather than analytical and rational decision making.

Last edited:

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
There is no reason whatsoever, as I understand, that TB couldn't sell all or part of his interest in the management of the club whilst retaining control of the stadium and training ground complex which is, as I understand, owned by him

Pretty sure this has never been a successful business model in English football to date. Brighton were nearly killed by the separation of their ground from their ****'s of owners, palace were stiffed more subtly in losing their ground but it resulted in administration, Charlton, Coventry? Less said the better.

Separation of ownership of the ground and the club has never, ever been to the benefit of the latter, for a variety of reasons, none of which are positive.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Going back to the original thread,

There is no reason whatsoever, as I understand, that TB couldn't sell all or part of his interest in the management of the club whilst retaining control of the stadium and training ground complex which is, as I understand, owned by him (albeit within a different plc) and is completely separate from the footballing side of things, and under a new club owner, would provide him with ongoing considerable income.

I may be completely mistaken but there does seem this possibility for TB to step back whilst NEVER completely relinquishing control, all this if indeed he did not feel it appropriate at this time to invest any further substantial funds for whatever reason.

Perhaps someone wiser could clear up my misunderstanding on this ?

It's possible, but what is in it for TB, or this other person?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
But did it have to be this way?

1) Did he have to refuse the investment that Gus wanted?

2) Did he have to sack Gus?

3) Did he have to alienate DK when he could have made use of his experience of actually running the club?

4) Did he have to take so long to sack buddy Burke when it was obvious he was a total disaster?

5) Could he have not run the business side of the club himself rather than recruiting Barber to cock it up for him?

I could do more but you get the drift. I really wouldn't want to see Bloom leave but there are three things I would like him to do:-

- Sack Barber

- Involve the fans more. Put shares in a Supporters Trust

- Apologise to DK and invite him back on the Board

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
But did it have to be this way?

1) Did he have to refuse the investment that Gus wanted?

2) Did he have to sack Gus?

3) Did he have to alienate DK when he could have made use of his experience of actually running the club?

4) Did he have to take so long to sack buddy Burke when it was obvious he was a total disaster?

5) Could he have not run the business side of the club himself rather than recruiting Barber to cock it up for him?

I could do more but you get the drift. I really wouldn't want to see Bloom leave but there are three things I would like him to do:-

- Sack Barber

- Involve the fans more. Put shares in a Supporters Trust

- Apologise to DK and invite him back on the Board

I still don't really understand this. What has Barber done wrong?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I still don't really understand this. What has Barber done wrong?
God only knows, though I'm sure you'll get responses using words such as 'FFP', 'Corporate', 'PLR' and 'Soul'.

They may not have any actual explanation as to how anything he does directly impacts the playing side (or the stellar form we've shown this year) but it'll still somehow equate to it being his fault.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here