Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tim Sherwood

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Wish more people had the balls to write like that.

There's being forthright in your writing style, which I agree we don't see enough of either in the mainstream press or on blogs, and then there's sailing far too close to defamation. If I was an editor, I'd feel pretty uncomfortable letting a piece go out with the following paragraph included:

"Tim Sherwood is the personification of autofellatio. He is consistently dishonest, he is unimaginably unlikeable, he is perversely self-obsessed and spectacularly arrogant to boot. At the time of writing, it still isn’t completely clear or not whether he’s actually in possession of the full compliment of coaching badges required to become a Premier League manager, but it’s not like that’s stopped him before. The fact of the matter is this: Tim Sherwood is not the sort of person a professional institution of any nature should want to be associated with."

Given that defamation laws are essentially there to prevent character assassination and protecting someone's personal or professional reputation, the highlighted sections are a pretty risky thing to write. We can't have such things written about without any credible evidence to back them up, IMHO.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There's being forthright in your writing style, which I agree we don't see enough of either in the mainstream press or on blogs, and then there's sailing far too close to defamation. If I was an editor, I'd feel pretty uncomfortable letting a piece go out with the following paragraph included:

"Tim Sherwood is the personification of autofellatio. He is consistently dishonest, he is unimaginably unlikeable, he is perversely self-obsessed and spectacularly arrogant to boot. At the time of writing, it still isn’t completely clear or not whether he’s actually in possession of the full compliment of coaching badges required to become a Premier League manager, but it’s not like that’s stopped him before. The fact of the matter is this: Tim Sherwood is not the sort of person a professional institution of any nature should want to be associated with."

Given that defamation laws are essentially there to prevent character assassination and protecting someone's personal or professional reputation, the highlighted sections are a pretty risky thing to write. We can't have such things written about without any credible evidence to back them up, IMHO.

Fantastic stuff to read tho eh? Many more of those Premier League types need verbally slaughtering by scurrilous publications IMHO. They've had it all their own way for too long. A serious backlash is long overdue.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

The dishonest thing- I get what you're saying, absolutely. But I reckon calling somebody "unimaginably unlikeable" is merely an unqualifiable personal opinion, surely?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
The dishonest thing- I get what you're saying, absolutely. But I reckon calling somebody "unimaginably unlikeable" is merely an unqualifiable personal opinion, surely?

I suppose I'm looking at it from the point of view of a potential employer of TS. If I read a paragraph like the one I quoted, would I be less likely to hire him? Absolutely. I agree regarding the 'unimaginably unlikeable' statement - I think that is just unqualified personal opinion - but the final highlighted part is pretty strong.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Fantastic stuff to read tho eh? Many more of those Premier League types need verbally slaughtering by scurrilous publications IMHO. They've had it all their own way for too long. A serious backlash is long overdue.

Oh, no doubt! It made for enjoyable reading, but I wouldn't feel comfortable as the person who wrote it or published it!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

The "consistently dishonest" is the only defamatory phrase there - the rest is fair comment. An editor would correct the spelling of "complement" though :)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I suppose I'm looking at it from the point of view of a potential employer of TS. If I read a paragraph like the one I quoted, would I be less likely to hire him? Absolutely. I agree regarding the 'unimaginably unlikeable' statement - I think that is just unqualified personal opinion - but the final highlighted part is pretty strong.

"Autofellatio" is also worthy of applause :lolol:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
To be fair to Sherwood, you would be mad to take the QPR job.

They are going down and then they are going to be smashed by the FA.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I hit the lay button on Sherwood today.

How many times has he gone odds on and not got the job? True he will get one soooner or later but...Also, I can't see his demands going down well with the yank who runs the place. Someone like Garcia at Villa for me (320-1 on Betfair if he floats your boat)

That article by the way, is libellous fantastic reading.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I hit the lay button on Sherwood today.

How many times has he gone odds on and not got the job? True he will get one soooner or later but...Also, I can't see his demands going down well with the yank who runs the place. Someone like Garcia at Villa for me (320-1 on Betfair if he floats your boat)

That article by the way, is libellous fantastic reading.

I'll be having little on Scott Marshall.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here