Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Tim Martin takes a beating

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We've done the lockdowns,we have worn the masks,we have done the social distancing,we will have done the vaccines.
The plan as they told us was always give us the chance to create a vaccine.
That point is nearing conclusion so in my opinion it should be time to stop ****ing about and open everything back up again.

You know how many people in the UK have lost their lives to this, right?

Well, 25% of those total covid deaths came in January.

Now is absolutely not the time to throw caution to the wind, because you’re bored of it.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'll take issue with you on Boris's 'Remainer' credentials.

I believe that what drives Boris is personal freedom, and when he really sat down and thought hard about the Brexit issue he realised that ONLY Brexit was compatible with his true guiding instinct of unfettered freedom. Remaining needs teaming up, relying on your teammates, pooling sovereignty for the greater good.

Most of his personal decisions on Covid have been wrong because he has let his instinctive love of freedom override the need for restraint.

In Cummings he found a kindred spirit, which is why he felt he couldn't sack the man for doing something Boris would have done in his shoes. Boris is also cut from the same cloth as his father , who f*cked off to Greece during lockdown.

Can't agree with you at all.

What drives him is power

When Mayor of London, his goal was best served by backing remain. When seeking to become PM, he took a calculated risk on his new wider consitutency backing leave. It worked.

The personal freedom stuff. I doubt he gives a monkeys what the plebs do. But he has to keep the 1922 committee onside, so he goes on about it

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'll take issue with you on Boris's 'Remainer' credentials.

I believe that what drives Boris is personal freedom, and when he really sat down and thought hard about the Brexit issue he realised that ONLY Brexit was compatible with his true guiding instinct of unfettered freedom. Remaining needs teaming up, relying on your teammates, pooling sovereignty for the greater good.

Most of his personal decisions on Covid have been wrong because he has let his instinctive love of freedom override the need for restraint.

In Cummings he found a kindred spirit, which is why he felt he couldn't sack the man for doing something Boris would have done in his shoes. Boris is also cut from the same cloth as his father , who f*cked off to Greece during lockdown.
You're overthinking his motives. As far as I'm concerned, he is a populist wanker who at every turn does the easy thing that he thinks people want to hear, rather than the difficult, right thing for the country. That is the only thing I am confident that he stands for. His Covid policy is entirely driven by the desires of a committee made up of right wing head bangers, much as his Brexit policies were. He's an absolute turd with no principles and no clue how to run the country.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
He's very concerned about jobs.

[tweet]1361321867903139842[/tweet]

Fullers suspended rents for their pubs whilst he told his workers to go and find a job at Tescos. He also spent £94K on beermats with a Brexit message on them which his workers refused to put out. He ran into trouble with the Electoral Commission over it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...pub-closed-tesco-supermarket-uk-a9420906.html

https://foodanddrink.scotsman.com/d...emoves-pro-brexit-propaganda-from-their-pubs/

Slight point of order, Fullers is only a brewery.

Fullers Smith & Turner are the pub owning group. Even the Morning Advertiser can't get it right using the Griffin Brewery sign in their reporting. It has nothing to do with them.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Can't agree with you at all.

What drives him is power

Boris stood down in the 2016 Tory Leadership race following Cameron's resignation. At that point Boris was expected to win. Do you believe Donald Trump - who IS a man driven by power - would have stood down in the same scenario? Not a chance.

He would have done a hatchet job on Gove weeks beforehand, or else called him out in real time and forced the Tories to back him.

A man driven by power will cling on to power for as long as possible, whereas I fancy Johnson will bail whenever the kudos of being PM starts to wane and the daily grind of being PM starts interfering with what he wants to do, which is to eat, drink, f*ck and father children.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
That I doubt very much. He is in prime position to kick start again. Your local pubs are the ones who who will struggle. Many have taken on personal debt to get by and I can hear the moaning now when they have to put prices up to attempt to pay back the debt. Wetherspoons don't have nasty ******* landlords such as Greene King, Punch, EI who fleece their tenants for exorbitant rents and inflated beer prices. Wetherspoons rarely operate out of traditional pubs but use redundant buildings in town centres. Cheap rents, cheap rates backed up with huge discounts for their beer due to buying power. Their beer btw isn't dated that's pure fallacy. But their business model is great for alcoholics and down and outs but has put real decent town centre pubs out of business who just can't compete on price.

I meant a higher risk of catching covid . . . but otherwise agree with you.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I went to the local 'spoons' once. Just once. I was about 50 and my mate about 66. We were threatened by three different and unconnected cretins in the space of the 20 minutes it took us to be served and drink up. In one episode a bloke dropped something as he was leaving. I picked it up and called him back to give it to him and he spent the next five minutes accusing me of stealing from him, while his moll (thankfully) pleaded my innocence.

Oh, and the chain owner is a weapons grade cock.

Went in the spoons down George St Hove with my wife to meet friends ( there idea ) brought a round and sat in a booth the 4 of us. Within 30mins some cretin threw a pint at someone else missed them completely and covered me. I was somewhat upset im 6ft 5 and a big unit due to working out. This little scrote was standing there looking to apologise, I stood up looked at him now being held back by the manager and barmen as I wanted to flatten him, he scarpered out the door.
The manager gave me some money to clean my clothes which was nice, obviously knew who it was. Had to rush home to change my shirt as had a later table booked in a restaurant.
Never been back since

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Fortunately Asahi wouldn't lower themselves to have their beer in Wetherspoons so I no longer need to visit the dumps but when I worked for Molson Coors I regularly had to visit, got threatened on a few occasions when I had to remove a beer from sale. The worse time in early morning as the heavy alcoholics are desperate for their fix.

And yet the owner doubtless claims he's providing a service to the people. My suspicion is he has 'Munchausen syndrome by proxy'. In other words he's secretly trying to kill everyone.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
And yet the owner doubtless claims he's providing a service to the people. My suspicion is he has 'Munchausen syndrome by proxy'. In other words he's secretly trying to kill everyone.

Gene pool purification.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Johnson is a remainer, always has been, he just waited to see which way the crowd was running, stabbed May in the back, sacked the cabinet and filled it with nodding, useless and incompetant dogs.
But he did not bet on Covid and he can't deal with bad news or decision making so we have ended up with the biggest idiot in history in charge during a health crisis whose dithering has cost thousands of unnecessary deaths.
But we was warned, but all the mugs fell for it.

He still has a small number of noisy fans on NSC. My feeling is they are primarily people with a pathological loathing of Labour (probably for no greater reason than that they look down on labourers) rather than any real love for Boris the Liar himself. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, sort of old bollocks :shrug:

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Call me a pisshead, scumbag and a pisshead if you like, but when it is safe again I will want to be back to my local ‘spoons. Admittedly I don’t go at late nights and no doubt they vary in clientele. However I love a ‘spoons breakfast which is excellent value . My local is/ was a good place for a quiet afternoon visit and a drink .

Tim Martin is a strong character, which is why the media love him. Who cares ? The beer is alright.

Nb. I have seen a lot of snobbery about low price firms on here. E.g. Wetherspoons, Sports Direct or Macdonalds.... get a life !

Yep snobbery deffo

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Went in the spoons down George St Hove with my wife to meet friends ( there idea ) brought a round and sat in a booth the 4 of us. Within 30mins some cretin threw a pint at someone else missed them completely and covered me. I was somewhat upset im 6ft 5 and a big unit due to working out. This little scrote was standing there looking to apologise, I stood up looked at him now being held back by the manager and barmen as I wanted to flatten him, he scarpered out the door.
The manager gave me some money to clean my clothes which was nice, obviously knew who it was. Had to rush home to change my shirt as had a later table booked in a restaurant.
Never been back since

Note to self, avoid getting into any pointless and pissy arguments with Portslade Seagull in case I fall into the trap of inviting him 'outside' :mad::drool:

:lolol: :thumbsup:

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
I can't listen abroad, but would love to hear him lose it. Absolute ******** and his pubs are shite.

Edit: I call him an ******** but I actually met him in about 2006 or 7 and he was really nice to me.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
It’s always funny when a ‘spoons thread is on here because you just know before you even open it the same handful of posters will be clambering over themselves to tell you just how much they hate it. :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yep snobbery deffo

I'll admit to snobbery. I'll also admit to taking a dim view of a place where three separate people want to start a fight with me in the space of 20 minutes.

As a matter of interest, do you agree with the person to whom you replied that the Witherspoons owner is merely a strong character?

My snobbery is not the reason why I don't drink in Spoons or why I think the owner is a prat.

And I suspect my snobbery is not the reason you're lining up with the 'nothing to see here' contingent. :shrug:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The spoons on the marina is decent.

The ones in Hove and on North St are desperate

D

Deleted member 22389

Call me a pisshead, scumbag and a pisshead if you like, but when it is safe again I will want to be back to my local ‘spoons. Admittedly I don’t go at late nights and no doubt they vary in clientele. However I love a ‘spoons breakfast which is excellent value . My local is/ was a good place for a quiet afternoon visit and a drink .

Tim Martin is a strong character, which is why the media love him. Who cares ? The beer is alright.

Nb. I have seen a lot of snobbery about low price firms on here. E.g. Wetherspoons, Sports Direct or Macdonalds.... get a life !

:thumbsup:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
He still has a small number of noisy fans on NSC. My feeling is they are primarily people with a pathological loathing of Labour (probably for no greater reason than that they look down on labourers) rather than any real love for Boris the Liar himself. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, sort of old bollocks :shrug:

A sign on a WWII cannon on a farm in Modena I visited a few years ago says. 'never under estimate the stupidity of mankind' people on all side of the political spectrum are ingrained for no good reason. Many have no legitimatre argument for what they believe is right nor any intention to even consider an alternative.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here