Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Tim Martin takes a beating

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
His philosophy = go out, do what you want, Britannia Rules The Waves and get as much publicity for my pubs as I can.

These Brexit cheerleaders like Tim Martin, Nigel Farage, Boris, Laurence Fox have virtually an identical view to freedom, i.e. don't stop me doing anything I want to do EVER, regardless of what other people think or what the scientists are telling us. The correlation between Brexit and 'Get The F**k Out Of My Face" is incredibly close.

But the European research group and the covid research group, are of course made up of entirely different people. People who love nothing more than researching things. :)

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
We've done the lockdowns,we have worn the masks,we have done the social distancing,we will have done the vaccines.
The plan as they told us was always give us the chance to create a vaccine.
That point is nearing conclusion so in my opinion it should be time to stop ****ing about and open everything back up again.

That's right except that only those over 80, soon to be over 70 will be allowed in, open everything back up again and the virus will come back again, do you want that?
I have tried my very best and I hate it too, but people like you and so many others really make my piss boil.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't drink in Wetherspoons, partly because Martin is an unsufferable arse but mostly because his pubs are full of pissheads, scumbags and cheapskates.
I'd rather go out once a week to a "proper" local than to a converted abbatoir

I went to the local 'spoons' once. Just once. I was about 50 and my mate about 66. We were threatened by three different and unconnected cretins in the space of the 20 minutes it took us to be served and drink up. In one episode a bloke dropped something as he was leaving. I picked it up and called him back to give it to him and he spent the next five minutes accusing me of stealing from him, while his moll (thankfully) pleaded my innocence.

Oh, and the chain owner is a weapons grade cock.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I went to the local 'spoons' once. Just once. I was about 50 and my mate about 66. We were threatened by three different and unconnected cretins in the space of the 20 minutes it took us to be served and drink up. In one episode a bloke dropped something as he was leaving. I picked it up and called him back to give it to him and he spent the next five minutes accusing me of stealing from him, while his moll (thankfully) pleaded my innocence.

One of the better trips.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
His philosophy = go out, do what you want, Britannia Rules The Waves and get as much publicity for my pubs as I can.

These Brexit cheerleaders like Tim Martin, Nigel Farage, Boris, Laurence Fox have virtually an identical view to freedom, i.e. don't stop me doing anything I want to do EVER, regardless of what other people think or what the scientists are telling us. The correlation between Brexit and 'Get The F**k Out Of My Face" is incredibly close.

Johnson is a remainer, always has been, he just waited to see which way the crowd was running, stabbed May in the back, sacked the cabinet and filled it with nodding, useless and incompetant dogs.
But he did not bet on Covid and he can't deal with bad news or decision making so we have ended up with the biggest idiot in history in charge during a health crisis whose dithering has cost thousands of unnecessary deaths.
But we was warned, but all the mugs fell for it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
But the European research group and the covid research group, are of course made up of entirely different people. People who love nothing more than researching things. :)

If their understanding of Covid is anything like their understanding of Europe then we're ****ed.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

I was walking past the Hove branch of Spoons with my wife at about 10.30 one morning. There was a bloke stood outside with his pint. He let out a high-pitched shriek, vomited on the pavement, and then continued drinking his pint. I thought 'that's the pub for me'!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Fortunately Asahi wouldn't lower themselves to have their beer in Wetherspoons so I no longer need to visit the dumps but when I worked for Molson Coors I regularly had to visit, got threatened on a few occasions when I had to remove a beer from sale. The worse time in early morning as the heavy alcoholics are desperate for their fix.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Tim Wetherspoons Martin was on Wake Up To Money at 5 am Tuesday morning and took a beating. It makes a change for someone to ask the real questions and not be kind.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000s7w6
2 minutes in. He loses it talking about how 'safe' his pubs are and how nobody has ever caught covid in one of his pubs.

Nasty self opinionated man who runs a nasty chain of pubs that I would never ever set foot in again

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
That I doubt very much. He is in prime position to kick start again. Your local pubs are the ones who who will struggle. Many have taken on personal debt to get by and I can hear the moaning now when they have to put prices up to attempt to pay back the debt. Wetherspoons don't have nasty ******* landlords such as Greene King, Punch, EI who fleece their tenants for exorbitant rents and inflated beer prices. Wetherspoons rarely operate out of traditional pubs but use redundant buildings in town centres. Cheap rents, cheap rates backed up with huge discounts for their beer due to buying power. Their beer btw isn't dated that's pure fallacy. But their business model is great for alcoholics and down and outs but has put real decent town centre pubs out of business who just can't compete on price.

I think the poster meant the risk of covid was greater in a Wetherspoons, than in a well run independent local

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Oh I get it....this thread is because of his stand on Brexit isn't it?

Oh dear lord.

No. No it isn't. You gonna make yourself ill if you see Brexit coming at ya from all directions.

I voted Leave. I don't like "'Spoons" - went in one once, never going back. And I have absolutely no time for Martin. He has the same Dickensian view of his staff as that cockwomble Ashley. A plague on both their houses.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I see some people on here are even advocating violence against the man. Classy.

That's just wrong.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Johnson is a remainer, always has been, he just waited to see which way the crowd was running, stabbed May in the back, sacked the cabinet and filled it with nodding, useless and incompetant dogs.
But he did not bet on Covid and he can't deal with bad news or decision making so we have ended up with the biggest idiot in history in charge during a health crisis whose dithering has cost thousands of unnecessary deaths.
But we was warned, but all the mugs fell for it.

I'll take issue with you on Boris's 'Remainer' credentials.

I believe that what drives Boris is personal freedom, and when he really sat down and thought hard about the Brexit issue he realised that ONLY Brexit was compatible with his true guiding instinct of unfettered freedom. Remaining needs teaming up, relying on your teammates, pooling sovereignty for the greater good.

Most of his personal decisions on Covid have been wrong because he has let his instinctive love of freedom override the need for restraint.

In Cummings he found a kindred spirit, which is why he felt he couldn't sack the man for doing something Boris would have done in his shoes. Boris is also cut from the same cloth as his father , who f*cked off to Greece during lockdown.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I don't drink in Wetherspoons, partly because Martin is an unsufferable arse but mostly because his pubs are full of pissheads, scumbags and cheapskates.

Call me a pisshead, scumbag and a pisshead if you like, but when it is safe again I will want to be back to my local ‘spoons. Admittedly I don’t go at late nights and no doubt they vary in clientele. However I love a ‘spoons breakfast which is excellent value . My local is/ was a good place for a quiet afternoon visit and a drink .

Tim Martin is a strong character, which is why the media love him. Who cares ? The beer is alright.

Nb. I have seen a lot of snobbery about low price firms on here. E.g. Wetherspoons, Sports Direct or Macdonalds.... get a life !

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I think the poster meant the risk of covid was greater in a Wetherspoons, than in a well run independent local

Yes you could be right, I took it meant risk of going under as losing money and not topping up pay etc

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

I’ve been in worse ‘proper’ local pubs !

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Call me a pisshead, scumbag and a pisshead if you like, but when it is safe again I will want to be back to my local ‘spoons. Admittedly I don’t go at late nights and no doubt they vary in clientele. However I love a ‘spoons breakfast which is excellent value . My local is/ was a good place for a quiet afternoon visit and a drink .

Tim Martin is a strong character, which is why the media love him. Who cares ? The beer is alright.

Nb. I have seen a lot of snobbery about low price firms on here. E.g. Wetherspoons, Sports Direct or Macdonalds.... get a life !

If snobbery is keeping nicer pubs open then good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here