Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] THREE YEAR banning order for running onto the pitch at the Amex...

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I always like the story of the NSC poster (can't recall who), who was banned from games at Withdean. So he got a job behind the bar at The Sportsman and then used to watch the match from the top of the kiddies slide in the beer garden.

But people still claim that they are not real fans :facepalm:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I'd imagine it's exactly what banning orders were introduced for. Behaviour which is not allowed at any stadium in this country and has rightly been adequately punished. Whether other offences deserve harsher sentences or not is largely irrelevant to this discussion. This boy deserves his banning order.

Do you ever speed?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Yep, that part of it is getting beyond it. From how that reads he is not allowed to leave the country when the team is abroad.

Yep, as part of any football banning order you are required to surrender your passport and/or attend a police station whenever England are due to play away. Failure to do so is a breach of the order and you can be re-arrested and face further prosecution.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Prosecuting, David Packer said: “Mr Murphy was sitting in the south stand and is a Crystal Palace fan by his own admission.”

Well, that’s got to be worth 5 years at least.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
T'is funny seeing posters tying themselves in knots attempting to generate conflicting opinions.

I'm 99% sure when the fella in question ran across the pitch gesticulating at palace fans I said:-

"Well that's a 3 year ban".

The reason why I said that?
I said that because that's the law and unlike certain other clubs, I know the Albion will at least attempt to bring the full force of the law.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
A silly thing to do but a 3 year ban and restricted travel abroad when England play is massively over the top for running around flicking some V’s at Palace fans.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
T'is funny seeing posters tying themselves in knots attempting to generate conflicting opinions.

I'm 99% sure when the fella in question ran across the pitch gesticulating at palace fans I said:-

"Well that's a 3 year ban".

The reason why I said that?
I said that because that's the law and unlike certain other clubs, I know the Albion will at least attempt to bring the full force of the law.

And a large dose of ‘if you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime.’ If he was really that bothered about sunning himself on the beach whilst England play away or watching Albion games then he wouldn’t have gone on the pitch. It’s really not rocket science.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And a large dose of ‘if you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime.’ If he was really that bothered about sunning himself on the beach whilst England play away or watching Albion games then he wouldn’t have gone on the pitch. It’s really not rocket science.

And if he wanted glory, adulation, best seats, and hero worshipped by the owners, he'd have done that to the Albion fans at Selhurst.

Moral of the story:-

Don't f**k around in Tony's stadium.

As you say rocket science it ain't.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I get more abuse from dog owners , than some idiot who ran on the pitch , I know what I feel more threatened with

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yep, that part of it is getting beyond it. From how that reads he is not allowed to leave the country when the team is abroad.

Indeed. It’s not 100% anymore but likely he will be asked to check in to a police station or surrender his passport anytime England are playing away…

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
The police apply to the court for banning orders but it is the court that issues them.

Correct and we have seen very recently that the court will overturn them. But that is down to the luck of the draw as to what magistrate or judge you get. I would say more often than not the court will side with the police with most matters.

Perhaps you'd care to enlighten us as to what banning orders are for then?

They were to stop large scale disorder at regulated football matches. You only have to fart at football now and you are looking at a banning order. Anything that makes it court that is football related no matter how tenuous the link the police will automatically apply for a banning order. This lad has ran on the pitch, no one got hurt. He should have had his details taken, told if he does it again they'll take it further and kicked out the ground. Shouldn't have got anywhere near the courts, likewise the Palace mushty.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was just thinking how many giving the lad dog's abuse have "entered the field of play" in the past. I have done - countless times. Exuberence. Celebration. Protest.

The lad didn't assault players or other fans. He just ran on the pitch. Three years is much too harsh and indicative of how precious the game has become.

The Leicester fan who ran on the pitch and assaulted players got a 10 year ban plus prison.

Cameron Toner (19), from Whetstone, ran onto the pitch as Nottingham Forest players celebrated their third goal and punched three of the players. He was arrested at the ground and charged with going onto the area of play at a football match and three charges of assault. He pleaded guilty at Nottingham Magistrates Court, where the CPS applied for a Football Banning Order. Toner was sentenced to four months' imprisonment for the assaults, fined £100 for encroaching on the pitch and issued with a football banning order preventing him from attending any club or international matches for ten years.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/cps/news/10-year-football-banning-order-fa-cup-pitch-invasion

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
They were to stop large scale disorder at regulated football matches. You only have to fart at football now and you are looking at a banning order. Anything that makes it court that is football related no matter how tenuous the link the police will automatically apply for a banning order. This lad has ran on the pitch, no one got hurt. He should have had his details taken, told if he does it again they'll take it further and kicked out the ground. Shouldn't have got anywhere near the courts, likewise the Palace mushty.
The reason they put fences round the pitch in the seventies and eighties was because of large scale disorder at football matches, and the game didn't go from well-behaved fans to large scale disorder overnight. Fans were allowed to get away with bad behaviour in small numbers which multiplied into larger numbers when people were allowed to get away with it.

For various reasons fans calmed down to the extent that we don't have fences round the pitch any more and pitch invasions are once again possible and easy. And even though everyone knows that running on the pitch during the match, regardless of whether you stick two fingers at opposition fans or not, will get you a three year ban, there are still people (like this twit) stupid enough to do it. How many more people would invade the pitch if they knew there was no penalty for doing it?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Correct and we have seen very recently that the court will overturn them. But that is down to the luck of the draw as to what magistrate or judge you get. I would say more often than not the court will side with the police with most matters.

That's your old skool view. There have been too many recent incidents where you don't know what someone on the pitch is going to do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here