Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Threatening Letters...

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Literally had a letter through from a random debt collecting company regarding a £60 parking fine which is overdue with them threatening to send baliffs round to my house. Totally my fault for not paying it tbh I totally forgot too. Anyway the first letter in Dec was £140 the second letter is £556 with no explanation how they got to the increased amount. Im due to call them in the morning to clear the debt but has anyone been in this position before and if so do you have any advice on how to deal with these companies...its ruined my weekend

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Literally had a letter through from a random debt collecting company regarding a £60 parking fine which is overdue with them threatening to send baliffs round to my house. Totally my fault for not paying it tbh I totally forgot too. Anyway the first letter in Dec was £140 the second letter is £556 with no explanation how they got to the increased amount. Im due to call them in the morning to clear the debt but has anyone been in this position before and if so do you have any advice on how to deal with these companies...its ruined my weekend

Who is the debt owed to ? This is VERY important as if it's a council ticket then it's serious if it's a private "ticket" it's a joke !

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Go to peppipoo.com to read about your rights etc and whether or not the increase is enforceable.

As Westdene Seagull says if it is a council ticket you may have a problem if it is a private ticket issued in a shop car park or similar ignore it.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Itsa council ticket for a London Borough the company are called Newlyn

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
If its a private company and you parked in a private car park then ignore it.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
I suggest looking on the Consumer Action Group. There's a huge amount of information, support and advice on exactly this sort of thing
Edit: On no account should you telephone them. Always, always deal with this in writing

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Go to peppipoo.com to read about your rights etc and whether or not the increase is enforceable.

As Westdene Seagull says if it is a council ticket you may have a problem if it is a private ticket issued in a shop car park or similar ignore it.

Thanks for the advice appreciate it!

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
If it's a council ticket then contact them, if it's a Private Parking Company ticket then ignore it.

As mentioned the place to read all the info is on peepipop or MoneySavingExpert..

TB

Dec 29, 2011
Private parking companies can be very devious, are you 100% sure it's from the Council? Sometimes they might use a logo which looks like your council's but is subtly different. If it's private ignore it 100%.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Private parking companies can be very devious, are you 100% sure it's from the Council? Sometimes they might use a logo which looks like your council's but is subtly different. If it's private ignore it 100%.

its 100% a London Borough council ticket :facepalm:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have just read Newlyns website and they pride themselves on collecting more money than any other company employed by the same council so they are obviously very ruthless. Have you checked the particular council website to see if they use Newlyn

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
I have just read Newlyns website and they pride themselves on collecting more money than any other company employed by the same council so they are obviously very ruthless. Have you checked the particular council website to see if they use Newlyn

I will get onto it its London Borough of Lewisham the ticket was issued in Blackheath

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is it worth contacting the council tomorrow to offer to pay it for the sake of a telephone call they can say either yes or no and you haven't lost a lot if they say no.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
You are not in 'debt', and the bailiffs cannot come around. You can only be placed in a position of Debt by the courts and a PPC will not take you to court!

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Is it worth contacting the council tomorrow to offer to pay it for the sake of a telephone call they can say either yes or no and you haven't lost a lot if they say no.

Councils the route I feel most comfortable with and you are right they can say No. Once again I appreciate you taking time out of your day to respond...come to think of that thanks to everyone else as well. I will let you know how I get on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here