Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] This Webster experiment ends jan 1st !!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
There's a reason West ham's game plan was in part, to try and put in crosses. And it wasn't because Dunk is considered a weak link in the air.

You see Glimpses with Webster, but not consistency. The errors outweigh the positives and the errors cost us more than his positives gain.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think the worrying thing is not so much whether he's a good player but more why the management team are persistently playing a defender whose confidence is clearly shot.

Because they see a very talented footballer every day in training. I’m really not sure his ‘confidence is shot’ although not disputing his at best, ordinary performances on a few occasions this season. Unless of course you think they are obliged to play him because of his big transfer fee.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He struggled to control and pass the ball several times today

I do think Potter sees what happens day to day though. For the record though Mr Banana I would be playing Duffy now.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think the worrying thing is not so much whether he's a good player but more why the management team are persistently playing a defender whose confidence is clearly shot.
Worrying? What choice do they have? Duffy and BDB both injured; we only have four first team CBs (which is, admittedly, probably pushing our luck a bit). It's a shame, both for him and for us. He really does need a break, a few matches in the stand or on the bench to recharge his batteries - it's his first season in the PL, and I think he's played every game; he's shot his bolt, pure and simple. He'll come back stronger, because he's a good player, but right now he needs a break.
Hope Duffy is fit for Watford - not because I want 'Webster out' but because I believe this is a time for rotation.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
He struggled to control and pass the ball several times today

That’s one thing I noticed today, there was one pass back to him, in no way putting him under pressure and he failed to trap the ball, maybe he is thinking to much about what he needs to do next therefore losing concentration?

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Worrying? What choice do they have? Duffy and BDB both injured; we only have four first team CBs (which is, admittedly, probably pushing our luck a bit). It's a shame, both for him and for us. He really does need a break, a few matches in the stand or on the bench to recharge his batteries - it's his first season in the PL, and I think he's played every game; he's shot his bolt, pure and simple. He'll come back stronger, because he's a good player, but right now he needs a break.
Hope Duffy is fit for Watford - not because I want 'Webster out' but because I believe this is a time for rotation.

You're spot on, I didnae think about that.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
One slight concern, I think, is that once or twice when Webster gets caught out, he seems to let the disappointment kick in too soon and give up on getting back. There's just not that absolute determination to block efforts at all costs that you get with Dunk and Duffy. He'll improve I'm sure but I'd certainly favour Duffy for the big games.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Should have recalled White and sent them Webster til end of the season

That would have been too simple but also showing that the recruitment team/ GP made a mistake paying so much money for him. We as supporters see the price paid and base our expectations on that as had he cost £5m people would be saying he looks ok for the future, but because it was £20m we expect a lot more.

For me the big problem is that he is failing in what we were told were his strong points ie bringing the ball out of the defence.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
That would have been too simple but also showing that the recruitment team/ GP made a mistake paying so much money for him. We as supporters see the price paid and base our expectations on that as had he cost £5m people would be saying he looks ok for the future, but because it was £20m we expect a lot more.

For me the big problem is that he is failing in what we were told were his strong points ie bringing the ball out of the defence.

Why are you so obsessed with this “they’ll persist with Webster because they won’t admit their mistake” angle?

Firstly, Potter plays Webster because of his quality on the ball (which admittedly seems to be dropping away).
Secondly, White is doing very well at Leeds and his development is coming along nicely, we don’t need to risk that by dropping him into the PL pressure cooker.
Thirdly, there have been several other expensive mistakes that we have owned up to. Locadia out, Andone out, Jahanbakhsh is very peripheral.
Fourthly, the recruitment team’s mistake is not Potter’s mistake - the manager doesn’t personally sign every player these days. Why should he change his team selection to protect them?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It has been said many times that the manager has the final say on any signings. So Webster signing is down ultimately to GP. Picking him to play despite costing us usually a goal; a game is down to GP. Who else can you blame for this? Hopefully one day he will learn to jump and at the right time to justify his price and selection in the team.

We are still waiting to see your first point.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why are you so obsessed with this “they’ll persist with Webster because they won’t admit their mistake” angle?

I can't think why BG, of all people, would assume the rest of the world bungle through their mistakes preferring to shout louder instead of saying, 'I was wrong', and moving on.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I’m sure this has been mentioned, but Webster operates best when deployed in a back three. At the start of the season we looked far better with Dunk, Webster and Burn together. This meant Webster could focus on what he does best and leave the more gritty defensive work to Dunk and Burn. He can’t do that when playing next to a singular centre back in a back four, so it’s no wonder we’ve seen less of his ball playing skills as of late. When Burn is fit, I’d like to see us revert to a back 3 (or 5) with Solly at left wing back and the new lad, Lamptey, deployed at right wing back. Hopefully this will mean we’ll see the best of our 20mil centre back.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I hope that we do not revert to the back 3 you suggest as I think that Bernardo is a vast improvement on Burn even if played as a 3rd CB with March as LWB and Lamptey as RWB. I would sooner the 3 be Duffy Dunk and Bernardo.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I thought yesterday a couple of Webster's mistakes highlighted what is being asked of him. He was stepping out of defense to press the ball and try to nick back possession - it is a risky strategy, but tactically it looks like Dunk is being told not to take that kind of risk, so Webster ends up looking like he's making more mistakes because of this trying to proactively win/press the ball high up and away from our goal. It's a difficult one as I don't see Duffy being able to do that, he is a defender that likes to defend either in a challenge or moving back toward his own goal until an opportune moment to tackle can present itself. It's tough on Webster I feel as he's being asked to press high and win the ball, and when he doesn't it looks like an outright mistake on his part.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I thought yesterday a couple of Webster's mistakes highlighted what is being asked of him. He was stepping out of defense to press the ball and try to nick back possession - it is a risky strategy, but tactically it looks like Dunk is being told not to take that kind of risk, so Webster ends up looking like he's making more mistakes because of this trying to proactively win/press the ball high up and away from our goal. It's a difficult one as I don't see Duffy being able to do that, he is a defender that likes to defend either in a challenge or moving back toward his own goal until an opportune moment to tackle can present itself. It's tough on Webster I feel as he's being asked to press high and win the ball, and when he doesn't it looks like an outright mistake on his part.

Spot on. The other thing that seems to be constantly missed is that both Duffy and Dunk are slow. That's fine when you defend deep as we did under CH, but not when you defend higher up the pitch, as we do under Potter. Webster has the pace in order to do this.
That said, if Duffy's fit, I'd start him instead of Webster. They're a physical side, and it'll suit Duffy more, and Webster can have some time off to work on eradicating certain mistakes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here