Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This is all going to go pear shaped isn't it?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Naturally I won't believe it until we're ten points ahead of third place with three matches to play. But it's in our hands from here on. This time last season I thought we were under-achieving despite being unbeaten, because we had drawn games we should have won, but now I don't see us losing any two-goal leads.

As for the best Albion squad ever, I'm not sure. I think Mullery's promotion squad of 1979 shades it. The depth is superior, but there's no Horton (Kayal is closest in style but doesn't score enough goals), Lawrenson or Ward (who scored away from home as well as at the Goldstone). And in Malcolm Poskett we had a back-up striker who could score vital goals. With luck an equivalent will arrive in January. On the plus side, our array of wingers is ridiculously good, even if none is as consistent a scorer as Gerry Ryan was.

Gerry Ryan scored 32 goals in 173 appearances for BHA. Thats a strike rate equivalent to 8-9 in a full season. Knockaert already has 6 this season and is probably gonna get close to15. Ward's goal tally dropped off at second tier level and I'm not sure he ever got close to 20 goals. Murray has 9 in 16 league games already and you would be disappointed if he didn't reach 20. Horton and Lawrenson were class acts but Kayal, Stephens and Sidwell are all strong performers at this level.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Welcome to my world.

I'm certain this whole fantastic experience will go breasts up from the very moment I believe.

Yep me too. And so it proved last year. So im keeping my powder dry till villa away.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yep me too. And so it proved last year. So im keeping my powder dry till villa away.
Ah Villa away. I wonder how many ticketless fans will go up there if we need a point or three?

By the way, put me in the "more confident than when we were unbeaten at Christmas last year" camp.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
It's worth reminding ourselves of the evidence.

Since losing to Brentford on the 10th September we have gone 10 games unbeaten with 8 wins, 2 draws, 26 points, 17 goals for and 3 against. This includes 4 victories against promotion rivals Sheff Wed, Bristol, Norwich and Huddersfield. That is Championship winning form, and a point better than Newcastle despite their incredible winning run. We have managed that for large parts without a number of key players: Kayal, March, Rosenior; and, other key players have missed odd games: Stephens, Dunk, Knocky.

We won't continue that phenomenal form indefinitely. It's just not possible. But when we drop points, it doesn't mean the wheels are coming off. Because you sense that the players have a collective self-belief and determination to stay the course. And you know that the manager will not panic and he will keep the ship steady. So we should be prepared to do the same, to keep the faith.

PG

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
16 points from the next 7 games and we reach 50 points at the half season marker.

Come on Albion !!!

el punal

It's worth reminding ourselves of the evidence.

Since losing to Brentford on the 10th September we have gone 10 games unbeaten with 8 wins, 2 draws, 26 points, 17 goals for and 3 against. This includes 4 victories against promotion rivals Sheff Wed, Bristol, Norwich and Huddersfield. That is Championship winning form, and a point better than Newcastle despite their incredible winning run. We have managed that for large parts without a number of key players: Kayal, March, Rosenior; and, other key players have missed odd games: Stephens, Dunk, Knocky.

We won't continue that phenomenal form indefinitely. It's just not possible. But when we drop points, it doesn't mean the wheels are coming off. Because you sense that the players have a collective self-belief and determination to stay the course. And you know that the manager will not panic and he will keep the ship steady. So we should be prepared to do the same, to keep the faith.

PG

Wise comments. This time last year most fans were wondering when was the first defeat going to happen - monkey on the back syndrome. Our unbeaten run was unbelievable on so many fronts, particularly based on the previous season's form. It was only from late January onwards were we truly considered promotion contenders.

This time around the expectation is higher and the results are matching it. For me, I feel that the team are much more comfortable and ooze confidence whether we play home or away. So now we are in an international break and come back to face Villa. A bit of caution here, for it was around late November in 2015 that things started to go pear shaped. This time it will be interesting to see whether we have the strength in depth to overcome those problems that occurred last season, I believe we do.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My thoughts exactly - we have cover in defence, midfield and on the wings but upfront Hemed just doesn't cut it for me and if Murray was to get crocked we'd struggle

The glint in Tony's eye when he was asked if we're signing a striker in Jan at the Fan's Forum suggested he's worried as well, but is doing something about it.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'm starting to drink the kool aid now. To open up a five point gap between us and the pack at this early stage is impressive. For me the main reason for optimism is the sheer will and determination to win that the team are showing at the moment. This team not only has bags of talent, it also has spirit and fortitude, it's a potent combination.

I am now beginning to believe we can finish top two.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
My thoughts exactly - we have cover in defence, midfield and on the wings but upfront Hemed just doesn't cut it for me and if Murray was to get crocked we'd struggle

We are already starting games without a striker on the bench (Elvis doesn't count). Murray could be recalled in Jan. Then one long term injury and a niggle and we are completely out of strikers.

There's a long way to go.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We are already starting games without a striker on the bench (Elvis doesn't count). Murray could be recalled in Jan. Then one long term injury and a niggle and we are completely out of strikers.

Did anyone clarify whether Murray can be recalled ? Depends whether a clause was put in the loan contract..................

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

We have 3 strikers. 2 start on the pitch and 1 on the bench.

Murray will not be recalled.

However, an injury or 2 and we are in trouble.

So we need 1 more new striker as a minimum, and then we look at either a 2nd new singing, Elvis or the January loan return of Maguire-Drew as 5th pick.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
We have 3 strikers. 2 start on the pitch and 1 on the bench.

Murray will not be recalled.

However, an injury or 2 and we are in trouble.

So we need 1 more new striker as a minimum, and then we look at either a 2nd new singing, Elvis or the January loan return of Maguire-Drew as 5th pick.

Could one of the youth team make a step up?

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
So many positives for me this season. It's been a huge bonus that some of the clubs that I thought would be right up there have made poor starts, enabling us to get a jump on them, e.g. Derby and Villa. Also a real surprise that Norwich, despite their resources and squad size, seem to have failed to build a championship class defense.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

The striker situation was debated on another recent thread and I wrote that we do need a fourth. if Murray gets injured, then we are down to 2 and any Plan B goes out of the window. Recruit in this department in January and the future is very bright, as LR and BK also come back into contention.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here