Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This is all going to go pear shaped isn't it?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I can't enjoy the moment, I'm just too scared to look ahead.
[MENTION=25402]Blue Valkyrie[/MENTION] said earlier 'only 8 games to the transfer window'.

My initial reaction was:-

'oh just 4 or 5 games to go, and we'll be near enough...

...unless we lose them all' :lol: :facepalm:

Lol....just enjoy the moment...bit hard I know...we all start looking at the fixture list and start working out the path ahead ..its a roller coaster but u might as well enjoy the up...cos u sure ain't gonna enjoy the downs

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It is clear already, there are two standout teams in this division and we are one of them. Only an outrageous run of injuries will derail us and commonsense dictates that we will not suffer anything like the level of last season. Few teams in history have ever suffered like we did last time around.
This is a very good squad of players. Probably the best for over 30 years. We have Kayal, Rosenior and KLL to come back. We have a lot of options. We can attack teams from all angles.
We played the 6th placed team off the park yesterday. We are already racking up an impressive goal difference. It all points to a successful season. It feels like this is our destiny, this is our time. Fans feel it and the players feel it. Its gonna happen.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
The end of last season felt very much like the end of 77/78. Back then I couldn't see how we could mount another challenge the following year but we came back stronger. It feels like we are stronger than last season, that we have more depth and are mentally better equipped. Totally against my nature but I am confident.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Lol....just enjoy the moment...bit hard I know...we all start looking at the fixture list and start working out the path ahead ..its a roller coaster but u might as well enjoy the up...cos u sure ain't gonna enjoy the downs

Exactly. I started watching Albion in 1990 and it was downhill from there until the Withdean years and, despite four promotions in that time, we still struggled to compete with other teams due to budget limitations. Yes, last season did end in heartbreak but to be honest the last year and a half has been great. We should all enjoy it for what it is. We may not go up (although I am very hopeful we will) but this is the best Albion team I have ever watched and I'm going to enjoy the season. Already this season we have won at Hillsborough for the first time ever, won without both Kayal and Stephens (never happened last season) and hammered a major promotion rival 5-0. Yes, we might not go up in the end but surely enjoy it while it is happening, otherwise there is no point in going.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
The end of last season felt very much like the end of 77/78. Back then I couldn't see how we could mount another challenge the following year but we came back stronger. It feels like we are stronger than last season, that we have more depth and are mentally better equipped. Totally against my nature but I am confident.

I must admit to being concerned pre season about the strength of the relegated teams. I thought we'd be strong to challenge for the play offs but would struggle to get top two as that would go to two of Newcastle, Norwich and Villa. How wrong I am currently. Newcastle have been great so far but the other two have not lived up to expectations and we have strengthened so much.

Imagine what would have happened to us last season without Kayal for seven games. We missed him for three games last season and got two points. This season, Sidwell has stepped up and been immense. Defensively we looked a little bit suspect against big teams and at set pieces. This season we have Duffy (who along with Dunk has been incredible) and we look so much more secure. I thought yesterday, and especially at Sheffield Wednesday, we might have conceded and dropped points last season and this year we look so solid and like we want it more than other teams.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Think this is realistically the last season to keep the core squad together without a major rebuild. Some key players aren't getting any younger and/or are only ours on loan. Others will be cherry-picked by lower level Premier League clubs over the summer. This season is SO shit-or-bust in many ways. Reckon everybody in the club is acutely aware of that.

I very much agree with this. Spot on in my view.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Exactly. I started watching Albion in 1990 and it was downhill from there until the Withdean years and, despite four promotions in that time, we still struggled to compete with other teams due to budget limitations. Yes, last season did end in heartbreak but to be honest the last year and a half has been great. We should all enjoy it for what it is. We may not go up (although I am very hopeful we will) but this is the best Albion team I have ever watched and I'm going to enjoy the season. Already this season we have won at Hillsborough for the first time ever, won without both Kayal and Stephens (never happened last season) and hammered a major promotion rival 5-0. Yes, we might not go up in the end but surely enjoy it while it is happening, otherwise there is no point in going.

Yes indeed. The premiership will be great for the club and its finances. I am not quite so sure that it will be so good for the supporters. It will be an experience for sure and one where there will likely be more defeats than victories. We are not used to that !!!

Derosaxs

Nov 11, 2014
Chesham via Worthing
I know what you're feeling! Over the time I've been a fan - since the 60's - I've been nervous before every game.
This season seems a little different somehow.
There's more hope than fear!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Yes indeed. The premiership will be great for the club and its finances. I am not quite so sure that it will be so good for the supporters. It will be an experience for sure and one where there will likely be more defeats than victories. We are not used to that !!!

Absolutely. There is no point in us turning up this season if we don't want to go up but it will be a hard if we do. Barring one season, over the last six and a half seasons we've been used to winning most games and that won't happen in the Premier League. However, having never seen Albion in the top flight, it would be an amazing experience to do so and we might do a Swansea (although I realise they are struggling this season) or Stoke. It will be tough but we've got the right setup now to give it a go. Only time will tell if it works out but, assuming we are sensible, the worst that can happen is we come back down with a better team and more money to invest to improve it.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
In 32 years of supporting the Albion i've not seen a team as good as this or a squad as strong. I genuinely believe we have everything it takes to be promoted automatically this season. I also think we will pip Newcastle to the title.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Loved last year. Gutted at the way it ended. But loved it.

We've carried on where we left off last season. There's every chance we can carry on, with a bit of luck and this amazing teamwork, but if we fail again, having done our best, it will have been another great season following the best team in the world.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Think this is realistically the last season to keep the core squad together without a major rebuild. Some key players aren't getting any younger and/or are only ours on loan. Others will be cherry-picked by lower level Premier League clubs over the summer. This season is SO shit-or-bust in many ways. Reckon everybody in the club is acutely aware of that.

Could be a rebuild if either we go up or if we stay where we are - hopefully it is the former !

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
I think we may well go up this season. Brilliant team spirit. Midfield was a major strength last year. Defence and attack are slightly stronger this year - looking good.

(I do think we only have one shot at this now though - if we don't go up a number of major players should be allowed to better themselves in a higher division)

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Naturally I won't believe it until we're ten points ahead of third place with three matches to play. But it's in our hands from here on. This time last season I thought we were under-achieving despite being unbeaten, because we had drawn games we should have won, but now I don't see us losing any two-goal leads.

As for the best Albion squad ever, I'm not sure. I think Mullery's promotion squad of 1979 shades it. The depth is superior, but there's no Horton (Kayal is closest in style but doesn't score enough goals), Lawrenson or Ward (who scored away from home as well as at the Goldstone). And in Malcolm Poskett we had a back-up striker who could score vital goals. With luck an equivalent will arrive in January. On the plus side, our array of wingers is ridiculously good, even if none is as consistent a scorer as Gerry Ryan was.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Sometimes you just get a feeling about a team in a certain season. The Withdean years under Poyet gave us a shining confidence - and I remember well the feeling watching the team in 1971-72 and thinking "this team will make it". We went up behind the strong favourites Aston Villa from Div Three to Div Two. I've got the same feeling now - even though the game has changed beyond recognition, and the squad rotation factor changes the dynamics weekly. I think we'll do it.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
History is repeating itself - 1978 and 1979.

It sure looks that way at the moment.

There will be a bad spell. There almost always is with any team as Norwich are finding out at the moment. However, this team looks better and certainly has more depth than last season's, is winning more and drawing fewer and has more points in the bag.

Can we do it? I really try not to think about it. I've seen it all before and know exactly what Icy Gull means.

Great thread!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
From here right now,there is the very really danger that currently we are,let's just say-3 KEY injuries from the squad being put to the test............imagine,Duff,Antony & Dale all out for 3 months,from now due to injury.

Far more worried about Murray.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here