Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This Drift Towards Resentment Of The 1901 Club

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
I am a Platinum 1901 member. I am a normal, vocal, long-serving fan. I do not intend to change this when I am in the west stand and I know a lot of people are like me too. I guess it was inevitable that people would have some resentment towards the 1901 members, but we're not all corporate, Jonny come latelys. I have been to Rochdale on a Tuesday night!

Same as me. But Gold member, with 6 others. All vocal supporters. Been to northern flea pits, Gillingham etc following the stripes.

I'm partial to a prawn sandwich tho, but I also like balti pies and greasy chips. Where should I be pigeon-holed ????

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Do you think though that we will go from Withdean (8k), to filling Falmer in one step though (approx 22.5k)?

Yes,... that was always on the cards for the forst 2 seasons more or less,.... I suspect though that large gaps will be seen in the mid sections of the ground, before, during and usually well after half time, resulting in a reduction in atmosphere....... sad really.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Not saying that you're knocking any of these groups but they are all essential...we have a 22,500 stadium to fill and for the club to hopefully remain solvent any type of 'fan' through the door needs to be encouraged. We'll look a bit silly with 10,000 fans every other week otherwise. Personally I just think those of a more vocal, hardcore, loyal nature (call it what you like) need to get organised and be together in the stadium to create an intimidating atmosphere and to stop us all moaning that nobody sings....just like the old North stand.
That's never really going to happen though is it? The north stand only holds 2600 and that's shocking for our main signing section at a new stadium.
I'm not a season ticket holder yet but will be planing to get one for Falmer but i have no hope getting one in the north.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That's never really going to happen though is it? The north stand only holds 2600 and that's shocking for our main signing section at a new stadium.
I'm not a season ticket holder yet but will be planing to get one for Falmer but i have no hope getting one in the north.

Why no hope of the North Stand ?

I would suspect a minimum of a third of current STH have opted for the 1901 club so not many left of which just about J block = North Stand, there will be loads of room.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

I would suspect a minimum of a third of current STH have opted for the 1901 club so not many left of which just about J block = North Stand, there will be loads of room.

You might be right there but i will have to be very quick.That stand will sell out the first day the season tickets go on sale.I'm confident of that.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal

I think you're right, what we have lost sight of after all this time at Withdean is that football fans are all very different and have different needs. A lot of people who are now sitting together in the South Stand would never occupy the same stands at a "normal" ground. We've all been stuck together in an unnatural way, but now people will be able to sit with like-minded people.

Black Dalek

Jan 19, 2004
I'm quite consious of the eliteist thing of the 1901 club, but as I am getting older I thought Bollox, just do it. RAISED IN THE NORTH STAND - DIE IN THE 1901 CLUB. But I'll do my best to lower the tone!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Is it true that 1901 members get priority in catching the train home after a match for those that don't drive ie are ushered to the front of the queue?

webbyson

Pre & Post..*Gullsworth*
Jul 26, 2004
Mudhut
Ultimately, the only real problem with 1901 is that they have been on sale for several months while regular season tickets remain unattainable. This is what has left the less well off feeling like they are on the outside looking in, disenfranchised, and in the case of current STHs, very unappreciated.

And I agree that the extra 400 1901 seats will prove to be a PR disaster. I mean really, is it necessary?

I dont agree it will be a PR disaster.......more money has been pumped in to pay for a new bar and restaurant that will probably stay irrespective of the long term success of the 1901 club. This has made use of a previous empty space in the stadium and the bar can be used by all.....happy days. A lot of the 1901 club are probably already connected to the club through financial or physical (or both) support of the club and would have probably became STH's anyway.
We all would love to go back to the terraces, PotD ect ect but at least the financial corporate packages are in great demand, indicating there is a huge demand to watch football in the right conditions in Sussex. Anyway IMO we will sell a shed load of ST next year but there will be plenty to go round ( 12k-15k max)

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
This is all nonsense. We're a business and we need to make money. Does everyone really think we'd get a £90m stadium AND not try and make it back. Does anyone think that the good of this football club is served by not trying to make as much money as possible? Really?

Look, I want a full stadium, I want a healthy business that takes us forward as a football club. Do we really have to argue about shit like this. Everyone who wants one will get a season ticket, away tickets for big games are always hard to get hold of - especially if you're a big club. Wanna be one of those?

webbyson

Pre & Post..*Gullsworth*
Jul 26, 2004
Mudhut
I bet they won't! I bet only a small section will. The rest will only be interested in home games.

Probably correct and dont forget the majority of the 1901 club who decide to go to the big away games could have:falmer: always done so and be as passionate as any Albion fan

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
, away tickets for big games are always hard to get hold of - especially if you're a big club. Wanna be one of those?

Only if the poorer uber fans can get to the front of the queue apparently

Southstandfaithful

Oct 22, 2010
H Heath
Can someone outline exactly what you get for that..... exactly....?

Just to clarify Platinum membership is 99 + VAT each month
Gold membership is 76+VAT each month.

I can't comment on the platinum deal but the gold membership includes;

The seat for all League, cup and friendlies at home.
Access to gold lounge.
complimentary parking space per 4 tickets.
Priority access to other events in the stadium (concerts etc)
More comfortable seat.

Think that is about it....... quickly scanning pamphlet now!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here