Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This Drift Towards Resentment Of The 1901 Club

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
1901 Club are paying over the odds, much of it up front. There are clear and necessary financial reasons for the club doing this. I'm thrilled that the club has done this so well that they have had to find more "expensive" seats to sell. All this will help our great club to grow and thrive.

I have not bought a 1901 seat - although I did consider it. I drive down from Kent and frankly the parking has an appeal. But I can't justify the additional costs. So it's P&R for me as it is every game at Withdean.

A few things do strike me:

- I'm disappointed that ALL the premium seats in the stadium have had to be used for the 1901 Club, but completely understand why;
- 1901 membership is not a lot more in than the top season ticket prices (around a grand as opposed to £600 - about £1 a day extra). Because of this, it is patently childish to label everyone in the 1901 club as prawn sandwich brigade. Many of these people will be normal fans like you and me;
- I've seen the list of companies who have signed up for seats - frankly, the majority are electricians; garages; builders; pubs; fire alarm companies; glassworks etc etc and small companies from all over Brighton. Don't kid yourself these are primarily faceless corporates of the type they get at The Emirates at al;
- there are thousands and thousands of seats left for the rest of us. We won't get as good a choce of location as we would have done, but we've agreed above that we had to sacrifice those seats;

BUT

The literature about the 1901 club clearly says that one of the benefits is "Priority tickets to "A" list away games". (whatever an A list game is). My personal view is that this wasn't necessary. 1901 is about the Falmer experience, and it wasn't necessary to gild the lilly like this. Especially as it might be at the expense of die-hard fans getting away tickets.

The flip side of this is that bar the really big away games, like huge cup games, or whisper it, Premiership away games, there won't be a problem. The 1901 club members who signed up for business won't got to away games and those that will go away are probably the fans just like you and me who joined 1901 for their own reasons and who would be competing with you/me for away tickets anyway.

Conclusion: necessary, and very succesful, fund raising but with one ill thought out benefit that could have been omitted with no effect on sales.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
All the seats will be padded, not just the 1901 seats.

Good news! Will toilets for the impoverished also be up to scratch (quantity above quality)?

for those concerned about tickets for away games please do remember that Albion are almost uniquely "difficult" in the lower leagues and at the vast majority of grounds just turning up on the day suffices. In the Championship, if/when we get there, we will rarely encounter problems following the stripes around the country

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Good news! Will toilets for the impoverished also be up to scratch (quantity above quality)?

Oh no no no. You can have a padded seat but the toilet facilities are a perk just for the 1901 club. :jester:

All the other plebs are told to use the duck pond.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
This.

2,500 seats out of a capacity of 22,500.

and the money generated by the 1901 club will effectively bankroll this club for the next 5 years.

Approx 20000 seats to choose from ...surely there are a few good ones :wink:
If we move up the leagues our away allocation will increase and be less of a problem.
I've been following the Albion for nearly 40 years and only once failed to get a ticket when I wanted one ... and got in the home end anyway
IMO a lot of drama over a virtually non existent problem
Lets enjoy the future not spend it fighting among ourselves !
:amex:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
If we move up the leagues our away allocation will increase and be less of a problem.
I've been following the Albion for nearly 40 years and only once failed to get a ticket when I wanted one ... and got in the home end anyway
I wouldn't be so sure mate. Historically we are bigger then Hull and Reading.
Hull have a capacity of 25k and they get around 20k.Reading have a capacity of 24k and get around 18k.
If we go up and Gus stays i believe every season ticket will be snapped up.Plenty of people i believe will panic buy as well to be certain of getting a seat as well even if they don't go to every game.
Our capacity is smaller then both of those clubs with a bigger fan base.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But i know at least 20 people who have gone via the 1901 package, and have never been to Withdean before bar the Man City game, if at all. These people I can safely say would ALL go to Palace next season if the game were to happen.

did they all go to the last Palace game? if not, why would being in the 1901 change their mind?

Bloom and Perry are pimping themselves out to the highest bidder.
Look at the f***ing chairman. Is it really any surprise we're obsessed by money?

do you not like the nice new £93 million stadium? would you rather carry on at withdean or a similar ground with zero facilities? do us all a favour and find a nice non-league club (sans bar) so you dont have to worry about the money side.

So still no one has correspondence that says 1901 members have priority over what or who to away games? Just priority. So I'm reality they could just have the same priority as season ticket holders??

that sounds far too rational and sensible. its funny, for years people on this board have talk about how the club could do precisly these sort of schemes to raise money to pay for the ground and playing side, now people get all in a huff. let us assume untill we know otherwise, that the club are *not* going to shaft everyone and will try to cater for everyone, especailly those who stuck by the club, rather than assume negative intentions.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Good post which points out that after the Withdean STH have been sorted there will be over 10 000.......TEN THOUSAND season tickets available. I have no doubt these will sell but but it will not be hard to obtain one before the ground opens.

if as many as three quarters of current season ticket holders purchase the additional three amex season tickets, tickets would never go on sale because we would have sold out.

unlikely i know but it's possible.

1901 Club are paying over the odds, much of it up front. There are clear and necessary financial reasons for the club doing this. I'm thrilled that the club has done this so well that they have had to find more "expensive" seats to sell. All this will help our great club to grow and thrive.

I have not bought a 1901 seat - although I did consider it. I drive down from Kent and frankly the parking has an appeal. But I can't justify the additional costs. So it's P&R for me as it is every game at Withdean.

A few things do strike me:

- I'm disappointed that ALL the premium seats in the stadium have had to be used for the 1901 Club, but completely understand why;
- 1901 membership is not a lot more in than the top season ticket prices (around a grand as opposed to £600 - about £1 a day extra). Because of this, it is patently childish to label everyone in the 1901 club as prawn sandwich brigade. Many of these people will be normal fans like you and me;
- I've seen the list of companies who have signed up for seats - frankly, the majority are electricians; garages; builders; pubs; fire alarm companies; glassworks etc etc and small companies from all over Brighton. Don't kid yourself these are primarily faceless corporates of the type they get at The Emirates at al;
- there are thousands and thousands of seats left for the rest of us. We won't get as good a choce of location as we would have done, but we've agreed above that we had to sacrifice those seats;

BUT

The literature about the 1901 club clearly says that one of the benefits is "Priority tickets to "A" list away games". (whatever an A list game is). My personal view is that this wasn't necessary. 1901 is about the Falmer experience, and it wasn't necessary to gild the lilly like this. Especially as it might be at the expense of die-hard fans getting away tickets.

The flip side of this is that bar the really big away games, like huge cup games, or whisper it, Premiership away games, there won't be a problem. The 1901 club members who signed up for business won't got to away games and those that will go away are probably the fans just like you and me who joined 1901 for their own reasons and who would be competing with you/me for away tickets anyway.

Conclusion: necessary, and very succesful, fund raising but with one ill thought out benefit that could have been omitted with no effect on sales.

Holy Cow, 'common sense spoken on NSC shock'

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
I like to think that if demand for all tickets is as high as it already seems, then the club should hurry up and get a new planning application in ASAP to get those stadium corners filled in. :wink:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)

Probably the best post I have read on here in a very long time :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here