Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Third Ashes Test - England v Australia - Edgbaston

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
The thing is it was actually a modern day out given by Aleem Dar.

That would never have been given 20 years ago (pre hawkeye) because the umpire would have said Buttler was too far forward. When I first saw it I thought (well hoped) it had pitched outside the line of leg (it hadn't, but if it had been reviewed, Buttler would have got away with it)

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Put a tenner on the Aussies at 2's about 40 minutes ago so if the worst happens least they'll be paying for me to drown my sorrows. You have to feel the Aussies won't mess up the second innings as badly as they did the first, if we are out for say an optimistic 240 gives us a lead of a hundred, they make 350(could make more) and we have to chase 250+ batting last... Can't say I fancy that myself.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Last time I went to Oz, Feb 2014, if you wanted stamps to send a postcard back to UK, HERE's the stamps they gave you. First time I ever burst out laughing in a Post Office... :lolol:

howzat3.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Oh bollox to the lot of you - I know what I mean :lolol:
:lol:

England 188-6.

Australia are effectively -52 for 0 wickets in their 2nd innings.
Er, no. That would suggest they're now -65 for 0 in the second innings, even though we've lost another wicket since your post. When their second innings starts, they should be worse than -65 for 0.

OMG - the review says it was going OVER leg stump... not even umpires call. Disappointing :nono:
Indeed, WTF!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Tuffers "Good spinach" as Lyon gets one to turn and bounce through Ali and Nevill for 2 byes:laugh:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Yes, of course. But our batsmen had the advantage of seeing Australia throw away half of their wickets, they knew that it was risky to keep throwing the bat, yet they did not learn from what they had seen.

I think unfortunately too many of our team have had their brains scrambled. Just look at what has just happened. Buttler does not review, Ali does not tell him to, yet they have two reviews remaining. It is just brain dead. Too often this team seem unable to think on their feet and recognise the situation, and act accordingly.

I know this is a big call from here, but Australia will win this test if England do not get more than 100 ahead.

I disagree with this. The England batsmen who've made the biggest impression on this innings - Cook, Bell and Root - have done so by being positive and punishing loose bowling. They could've been defensive and gone at 2.5-3 an over, but the Aussies will have been able to have set super attacking fields, and the bowlers will have felt under less pressure and probably bowled more unplayable deliveries, in which case we'd probably be 130 for 7 right now instead of having just gone past 200.

England's lead is already very strong in such a low scoring match; even if they lost their final 3 wickets for nothing I'd fancy us to win by 5-6 wickets.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Last time I went to Oz, Feb 2014, if you wanted stamps to send a postcard back to UK, HERE's the stamps they gave you. First time I ever burst out laughing in a Post Office... :lolol:

View attachment 67354
That's funny, but jesus they have a whole basket of chips on their shoulders.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I disagree with this. The England batsmen who've made the biggest impression on this innings - Cook, Bell and Root - have done so by being positive and punishing loose bowling. They could've been defensive and gone at 2.5-3 an over, but the Aussies will have been able to have set super attacking fields, and the bowlers will have felt under less pressure and probably bowled more unplayable deliveries, in which case we'd probably be 130 for 7 right now instead of having just gone past 200.

England's lead is already very strong in such a low scoring match; even if they lost their final 3 wickets for nothing I'd fancy us to win by 5-6 wickets.

Punish loose bowling is completely different from skip down the track to a spinners third ball or chasing a ball so wide it is in the next postal district. It is also worth considering that these are back to back tests. Starc is bowling terribly, as is Hazelwood, if England bat long Johnson has to bowl more, tiring himself out for the next test. Miles on the clock in these truncated test series makes a huge difference.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In seriousness though, we milk things just as badly as them.
No we don't. Are you telling me that you can imagine us having stamps for sending cards to Australia with the results of an Ashes series?

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Seeing the amount of turn that Lyon is getting and the swing and seam that our and the Aussie pace attack have got, you wouldn't want to have shelled out tickets for the 4th day

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Punish loose bowling is completely different from skip down the track to a spinners third ball or chasing a ball so wide it is in the next postal district. It is also worth considering that these are back to back tests. Starc is bowling terribly, as is Hazelwood, if England bat long Johnson has to bowl more, tiring himself out for the next test. Miles on the clock in these truncated test series makes a huge difference.

It's hard to say what might have happened if England hadn't been so gung ho, but it's an approach that has seen us score 80 more than them already on a very lively pitch, so it's a bit harsh to criticise.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Lunch, day TWO

England 221-7 (56 overs), leading by 85.

Ali 23* and Broad 10* have added 31 for the 8th wicket.

88 runs and 4 wickets in the morning session... what a fascinating Test match this is :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here