Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Third Ashes Test - England v Australia - Edgbaston

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Hence the use of the word effectively in my original post.

Bit it isn't effectively is it? If we were 6 runs ahead in our SECOND innings then it would be valid.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But it's not effectively 6/5. If we were behind after our first innings, and this was our second innings, giving us a lead of 6, we would effectively be 6/5. But we're effectively 163/5, leading 27, with 5 wickets remaining.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It would only have been effectively 6 for 4 if we didn't have another innings to go.

This is an understable mistake to make after years of watch England attempt to claw back a first innings deficit. As it is, we have 15 wickets left and more runs than the Aussies, who only have 10 wickets left.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Bit it isn't effectively is it? If we were 6 runs ahead in our SECOND innings then it would be valid.

But it's not effectively 6/5. If we were behind after our first innings, and this was our second innings, giving us a lead of 6, we would effectively be 6/5. But we're effectively 163/5, leading 27, with 5 wickets remaining.

It would only have been effectively 6 for 4 if we didn't have another innings to go.

This is an understable mistake to make after years of watch England attempt to claw back a first innings deficit. As it is, we have 15 wickets left and more runs than the Aussies, who only have 10 wickets left.

Oh bollox to the lot of you - I know what I mean :lolol:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Oh no... Root is gone... chases a wide one from Starc (who has been bowling poorly this morning) and edges to slip... out for 63 from 74 balls.

England 182-6, leading by 46

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
We're not even going to get a lead of 100 are we :nono: Aussies are 2/1 to win... Might be worth covering for some comfort money should we mess this match up.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
That is Root's weak point, he does chase the wide ones doesn't he.

Same story as Bell, looks great and then goes after one too many and throws away his wicket.

I'd take 100 lead if you offered it now

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
What is wrong with them? Make them toil, leave the wide ones. Why do they always throw the bat? There are 11 whole sessions to go in this test, yet three of our batsmen have got out playing stupid shots, two of those once they are set. It is so infuriating.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What is wrong with them? Make them toil, leave the wide ones. Why do they always throw the bat? There are 11 whole sessions to go in this test, yet three of our batsmen have got out playing stupid shots, two of those once they are set. It is so infuriating.

In fairness, Australia were probably saying the same after their first innings...

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Oh I'm well aware of our ability to **** it up, I was just surprised you required that much of a collapse for the Aussies to win. If we're skittled out for under 100 I think we'll be in trouble.

Oh dear, I'm practicing for next season's Score Predictor!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
A lot of pressure on Buttler and Ali here... but they have the chance to take this away from Australia.

Oh, here come Mitchell Johnson again... can he repeat his brutal spell from early this morning??

What a great game this is! :)

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
A review here... could be LBW, could be caught... Lyon to Buttler... more hopeful than anything??

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Hit in front again... and this time he is given out... no doubt from umpire Aleem Dar.

Lyon has 3-3 :nono:

England 190-7, lead by 54.

We can only hope the tail has a bit of a WAG :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here