Things you'd like to see at Falmer ...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Just ran it through a translator and it comes back as "sto vel cado"...not totally convinced, that sounds more like Portuguese to me!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
A wicker seagull placed over a large bonfire.

The seagull would be big enough to fit 2 men...

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Just ran it through a translator and it comes back as "sto vel cado"...not totally convinced, that sounds more like Portuguese to me!

I don't think translators work very well for Latin, but I LOVE the idea of "Stand or Fall" (in English) - this season might have been a bit different if some of the players had read that!

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven

That was quick, no one else on this board is even near. ;)

and what you going on about Biscuit?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Erm why the HELL is everyone quoting Gully when I CLEARLY got there first?

:FLOUNCE: :FLOUNCE:

Sorry, Biscuit, I was just making a point about the translator. :bowdown:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
That was quick, no one else on this board is even near. ;)

and what you going on about Biscuit?

I wasn't that quick and Biscuit certainly beat me to it, I tried another translator first and discovered that Latin was just about the only language it didn't offer...couldn't pass over the temptation to try it in Polish, Swedish, Dutch and a couple of other languages to see if any of them sounded half decent...before trying elsewhere.

Isn't it peaceful on here today...NSC'ers discussing the merits of different language translators, the sun is shining and the birds are singing merrily outside...or is this just the lull before the storm?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Except you need imperatives. 'Sto' and 'cado' mean "I stand" and "I fall/die", respectively.

And the imperative of sto, to wit: sta!, plural state!, was used in the Roman army close order drill for the command 'Halt' -- which is not quite the effect we want, is it?

Before the ironmongers get called in, run this by a BHA fan-cum-Latin teacher....I'll volunteer if there are none closer than the east coast of the US.

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Lifesize models of Archer & Bellotti impaled on wooden stakes.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
The stand close to the pitch. Don't want a sterile stadium like the Riverside or St Marys

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports