Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Things to do and places to stay in Lewes

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Pelham House is probably the nicest and of a similar price range to the others I think. As for Pubs- The Brewers, The Pelham and the Black Horse are all decent.

The Black Horse is a bloomin' Greene King pub isn't it? Used to be good back in the day.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Harveys certainly used to do free tours but there was a waiting list about 2 years long. That was however back in the late 90s.

If traditional ale is your thing then a tour of Harveys Brewery is well worth the effort and very interesting. It can be very popular so best to book ahead. Give the Brewery shop a ring to see when they have spare places.

Did the tour a few years back with a couple of mates and was curious to see a party of about 20+ rather smart ladies from a local WI also doing the tour. We got to end of the tour where you get to sample the range of beers and when asked what their tipple was the spokesperson for the ladies announced 'no thanks, we don't really like beer' and they promptly left. So that just left us with the nice chap showing us around who said 'oh well, more for us' and then commenced a very pleasant remainder of the evening. Watch out for that 'Imperial Russian Stout' - it's an acquired taste!

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
There are some nice walks around Lewes, the Railwaylands has been mentioned but it's a nice stroll from the Dripping Pan, past the Mount, through the Priory ruins and the Cockshute to Southover. Also there's the area around the Pells, and not forgetting the lovely Grange Gardens.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Ha! So which one is friendlier out of the two? I'm planning to watch half of the Hull match there as I can't go.

I don't use The Brewers so can't comment.

Brewers is a proper family run pub, very friendly slightly older crowd. Elephant can be full of students.

Not full of students whenever I go in there. A mixture of all age groups that like to cheer on their teams in my experience. Friendly but a tad noisy at times maybe, I've never witnessed any trouble in 15 years of drinking in the pub.

Hope that helps.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here