Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Things in the Sixties/Seventies.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've had all of those last three in 2020

(And they weren't 'deconstructed' either!)

The first non-pub meals out I ever had (when not overseas) were when my Dad took us to the Pickwick (East Street) and Queen Anne (West Street) in the late 70’s. Both part of the Schooner Inn chain.

From memory the menu did comprise those three very stereotypical items, plus the usual array of Sirloin and Fillet steaks.

Living the high life :lol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The decades, not age.

I was thinking about things that , although available in these decades, you never,or very rarely saw.

Cyclists wearing cycle helmets, nobody wore them back then, now it’s rare to see a bikist without one.
Grown men in shorts, I can’t remember ever seeing grown men, not playing sport wearing shorts.
Joggers, don’t think I ever saw a jogger until the end Seventies at the earliest.
Women with tattoos, and not a great many blokes, Joey Jones was about the only footballer I remember with one.

And yet,people smoking on the street was a very common sight, much rarer now.

Maybe if you started another thread entitled things form the 60s and 70s you never see now, people may start telling you about the things you see now but never saw then :lolol:

I can't be arsed to read back recent posts as they are all about thruppeny bits, Brazillians, Oxo flavour crisps, Chopper bicycles and [MENTION=600]Bry Nylon[/MENTION] trousers and shirts.

Sticking to your topic:

Heterosexual men with their right ear lobe pierced
Any sort of piercing that isn't of an ear lobe
Extremely tight elasticated trousers
Thongs
Camel toes
People saying '****' and even '****' on telly
Radio phone-ins
Skies without a single airplane or contrail
Old blokes in full lycra cyclewear
People over the age of 25 at contemporary music concerts (or 'gigs' as we learned to call them)
Mixed gender contemporary musical ensembles (or 'bands' as we used to cal them)
The very idea of Nigel Farrage

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Hehe, it was 5 Park Drive for us as that was all we could chip in together to get.
Well Moulsecoomb kids were poor in those days! Did you ask if Ron could have one, to a fellow smoker who was flush with cigs.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Maybe if you started another thread entitled things form the 60s and 70s you never see now, people may start telling you about the things you see now but never saw then :lolol:

I can't be arsed to read back recent posts as they are all about thruppeny bits, Brazillians, Oxo flavour crisps, Chopper bicycles and [MENTION=600]Bry Nylon[/MENTION] trousers and shirts.

Sticking to your topic:

Thongs
Camel toes
Radio phone-ins
People over the age of 25 at contemporary music concerts (or 'gigs' as we learned to call them)

Didn't need his sort then. We did racism better than he does.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Miss World

Scampi and chips

Chicken in a basket

Fondue parties

Pineapple and cheese on a stick

I bet your parents paid for you to go to school :lolol:

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Black and white TV can remember looking at the stocking* tops to see who was playing in which team. *now socks!

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Miss World

Scampi and chips

Chicken in a basket

Fondue parties

Pineapple and cheese on a stick
Didn't you get these at Sherry's in the 70s. Well not the pineapple and cheese on a stick but definitely Miss World if you pulled a good un and fondue as much as you like.:lolol:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Didn't you get these at Sherry's in the 70s. Well not the pineapple and cheese on a stick but definitely Miss World if you pulled a good un and fondue as much as you like.:lolol:

I often ended up with girls with faces like pineapples.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

Sticking to your topic:

In the 60s you had Velvet Underground (Mo Tucker), Jefferson Airplane, Big Brother & the Holding Company, The Incredible String Band, Mamas & Papas, then in the 70s how could you forget Suzie Quatro and also Talking Heads, B52s, Fleetwood Mac, The Carpenters, Abba, Blondie and towards the end of the 70s The Pretenders, The Tourists, The Cramps, Siouxie and the Banshees

Last edited:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

Sticking to your topic:

Thongs
Camel toes
Radio phone-ins

From the evidence of this photo you can cross at least two off your list..

b7a35e1c911243cf217e5125ed2de13e.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sticking to your topic:

Thongs
Camel toes
Radio phone-ins

It was not wholly unknown for people to say **** on telly. Kenneth Tynan did in the 60s (as did Miriam Margoyles on University Challenge), Peregrine Worsthorne also did in 1973 and, famously, the Sex Pistols came out with a tirade of four letter words. It was unusual but by no means unknown.

I can't speak about the 60s but in the 70s you definitely saw older people at gigs. They were usually there for the music but there were some creepy middle-aged men trying to pick up younger woment too.

Sadly, the 60s had their own Nigel Farages: surely you can't have forgotten Enoch Powell? But there were other charmers like John Tyndall and the National Front; the openly nazi Colin Jordan; Robert Relf trying to sell his house to someone English, Lady Birdwood and her tirades against jews and communists (and who thought the National Front too left wing); Peter Griffiths MP (if you want a n***** for a neighbour, vote Labour) and various other little charmers.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In the 60s you had Velvet Underground (Mo Tucker), Jefferson Airplane, Big Brother & the Holding Company, The Incredible String Band, Mamas & Papas, then in the 70s how could you forget Suzie Quatro and also Talking Heads, B52s, Fleetwood Mac, The Carpenters, Abba, Blondie and towards the end of the 70s The Pretenders, The Tourists, The Cramps, Siouxie and the Banshees

Yes. Extremely rare. I absolutely don't count bands with female lead vocalists, though. The one's I'd count are indicated . Otherwise you may as well include Lulu and the Luvvers (etc).

:cheers:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes. Extremely rare. I absolutely don't count bands with female lead vocalists, though. The one's I'd count are indicated . Otherwise you may as well include Lulu and the Luvvers (etc).

You should have underlined Fleetwood Mac - what do you think Christine McVie was doing? Making tea? Some of those other lead singers were also instrumentalists too

You could also add Fanny, The Runaways, The Slits, The Raincoats to that list.

And don't forget Carol Kaye, bassist supremes, on so many hit records

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It was not wholly unknown for people to say **** on telly. Kenneth Tynan did in the 60s (as did Miriam Margoyles on University Challenge), Peregrine Worsthorne also did in 1973 and, famously, the Sex Pistols came out with a tirade of four letter words. It was unusual but by no means unknown.

I can't speak about the 60s but in the 70s you definitely saw older people at gigs. They were usually there for the music but there were some creepy middle-aged men trying to pick up younger woment too.

Sadly, the 60s had their own Nigel Farages: surely you can't have forgotten Enoch Powell? But there were other charmers like John Tyndall and the National Front; the openly nazi Colin Jordan; Robert Relf trying to sell his house to someone English, Lady Birdwood and her tirades against jews and communists (and who thought the National Front too left wing); Peter Griffiths MP (if you want a n***** for a neighbour, vote Labour) and various other little charmers.

If you include in 'wholy unknown' the things that are in fact 'to all intents and purposes present only in homeopathic quantities' (ahem), you kind of prove my points. Everyone over the age of 60 remembers Kenneth Tynan. Everybody remembers Bill Grundy (more than ten years later). And in between? My point being you can find some effing and jeffing somewhere on the telly every day now. That would have been regarded as absurd in 1975, and the prospect as likely as topless darts on the telly!

Next, aside from you vague allusion to older people (which at the time, to you and I, roughly the same age, would mean 'over 25') there may indeed have been a tiny number of creepy perves (especially at punk gigs, but that was later, and you'd have had a better view of them from the stage), but you didn't get vast numbers of over 40s at regular gigs (I don't count the revival tour, or the sort of rubbish so far from the cutting edge that your old nan would like it) like you do now. I remember going to a Sisters of Mercy gig in the 90s when I was in my late 30s and was struck by the number of over 40s goths, and it is always the same at gigs I go to (even new stuff like Lebanon Hanover).

And, yes. You have very good recall of 60s and 70s right wing arsebiscuits. I remember them well. Let's not forget Brighton's own Martin 'Sweetie' Webster to. His sister used to frequent the Hungry Years so I recollect. I was being facetious about Farridge of course (I didn't take you as such a literalist or, dare I say, pedant). And yet - a cheery populist man with a pint and a fag, but with experience of making money, and a knowing swaggering arrogance? None of the right wing icons of the 60s and 70s were like that. They didn't do 'jokes' (apart from 'this **** came up to me...." etc.). There were not the sort of bloke you'd love to share a pint with (well, I'd not want to share a pint of my old piss with Fazza, but plenty would). The closest you come to wit among that gaggle of repulsiveness is old Enoch, but his humour was so dry, and mostly in Latin, that a careless movement sufficient to kick up a spark would have the whole lot of him up in flames.

Aside from that....hope you're staying safe!

Looking forward to your marking of my other work, later :rolleyes: :wink::bigwave:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You should have underlined Fleetwood Mac - what do you think Christine McVie was doing? Making tea? Some of those other lead singers were also instrumentalists too

You could also add Fanny, The Runaways, The Slits, The Raincoats to that list.

And don't forget Carol Kaye, bassist supremes, on so many hit records

Among those 'mixed gender' bands you have included that I overlooked, at least four are all female bands (I am unfamiliar with 'Fanny' but decided not to look them up on Google). I admire pedantry, but . . . . you'll be ticking me off for overlooking Culture Club and Tom Jones, next :mad:

Pretty sure I made it clear mixed gender doesn't mean bands with a female singer, or female artistes in general including all female bands. That would be silly, wouldn't it? ??? Apologies if I wasn't clear.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Among those 'mixed gender' bands you have included that I overlooked, at least four are all female bands (I am unfamiliar with 'Fanny' but decided not to look them up on Google). I admire pedantry, but . . . . you'll be ticking me off for overlooking Culture Club and Tom Jones, next :mad:

Pretty sure I made it clear mixed gender doesn't mean bands with a female singer, or female artistes in general including all female bands. That would be silly, wouldn't it? ??? Apologies if I wasn't clear.

Unless something untoward has happened to [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] (and I certainly hope not), then you two's pedantry battle, entertaining though it is, is strictly for runners up spot :lolol:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here