Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Two way Family Favourites always on at Sunday Lunchtime

The Black and White Minstrels on tv in the evening

Gobstoppers

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He had a sad life becoming an alcoholic and dying destitute aged 55 in 1995. George Best told a story of when he encountered him in Leeds in the early 90s....

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/...ved-the-way-for-black-footballers-at-the-top/

Good article that: I knew he'd had a drink problem and had died young but that was illuminating. I remember Johanneson playing (just about) but I'd never heard of Gerry Francis, that was a new name to me - but I see that he'd retired from the game four years before I started watching football.

BTW, there was another black player at West Ham as well as Best - Ade Coker - he stated playing just after Best

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS

Gobstoppers

And Sing Something Simple with Cliff Adams and The Cliff Adams Singers, early Sunday evenings on the BBC Light program before it became Radio 2

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
5 Park Drive and a 1d book of matches.
Pampas Grasses
Tank tops
Suede shoes
Lambretta TV175
Parkas
Check shirts
Regency jackets
Jamboree bags

And Sing Something Simple with Cliff Adams and The Cliff Adams Singers, early Sunday evenings on the BBC Light program before it became Radio 2

And to think we now have umpteen radio stations catering for most/all musical tastes. How dull was it then?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Women serving on warships nowadays. I have no problem with it, why not but difficult for somebody who was on ships in the 70s to imagine

Ships designs in 70’s wasn’t conducive to having women on board. I gather that modern ships are.
Let’s face it ships weren’t the most comfortable able of places. I think it was 5F on the Happy H that had 116 bunks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Getting back to shorts, in the Seventies once you'd left primary school it was rare for boys to wear shorts other than for sports and cubs....

At a friend's middle school (Walton-on-Thames) there was an unfortunate boy whose mum insisted he wore shorts. I never witnessed it, but apparently he was treated with derision and pity in equal measures. I overheard my friend's mum telling mine that teachers had written notes and spoken to the mother, saying he should wear long trousers, but she'd have none of it. The consensus was that for the sake of her neurotic Jennings fantasy, the boy was being psychologically damaged....

When we made the transition from Junior School to Grammar School in the early 70s my mate's dad insisted he wear shorts on the first day of his new school. Predictably the piss taking was merciless as he was the only boy who had turned up in shorts.

As soon as that first school day was finished he went straight home demanding that his dad took him to buy some long school trousers. A quick trip to Broadley Brothers before it shut ensured that he was properly attired for the second day of his new school..

But the damage had already been done and his reputation already cast in stone and for the next five years he was known as the kid who had worn shorts on the first day of school, the fact of which he was reminded on an unremitting basis.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Gobstoppers

The Billy Cotton Band Show - followed Two Way Family Favourites, I recall. Now I know why Sundays were longer in those days.

Thank goodness for the Player's Sunday League (1968) - complete with the promo girls, dressed in Players Number 6 colours and giving ciggies away!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
When we made the transition from Junior School to Grammar School in the early 70s my mate's dad insisted he wear shorts on the first day of his new school. Predictably the piss taking was merciless as he was the only boy who had turned up in shorts.

As soon as that first school day was finished he went straight home demanding that his dad took him to buy some long school trousers. A quick trip to Broadley Brothers before it shut ensured that he was properly attired for the second day of his new school..

But the damage had already been done and his reputation already cast in stone and for the next five years he was known as the kid who had worn shorts on the first day of school, the fact of which he was reminded on an unremitting basis.

We had about five kids who turned up on the first day of grammar school wearing shorts - I have the old school photo to prove it. Interestingly, they included most of the Catholics of that year - maybe it was a religious thing

They stood out a but I don't recall anyone taking the piss out of them

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Miss World

Scampi and chips

Chicken in a basket

Fondue parties

Pineapple and cheese on a stick

Last edited:

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Four figure log tables.
Closest thing to a cal-koo-later was an abacus!
Trouble was to do a complicated calculation you had to be pretty good at mental arithmetic and the concept of decimal places.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Roy of the Rovers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here