Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] They are the ones that said we are going for top 10.........................

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
But its not a millstone, it really isn't. Its a context on which to base big decisions. It makes life easier in an organisation. The top 10 is a lofty ambition/vision. The whole club needs to sign up for it : Our best hope of getting there and staying there, is to run the club in way that means we produce players more cheaply than simply buying, produce players that can be sold for huge profit, create an environment that allows these ultimately brave decisions to be made. GP is key to that right now - his development of players, willingness to provide the pathway etc. are far more important : make the strategy a reality. CH was key to the "one Ambition" piece : he wasn't the guy to deliver the next development. That's the key : its no point TB et al wanting to be sustainable top 10 if other parts of the Club, like the 1st team coach, are simply shouting for more money for players.
I genuinely think that within the strategy there is a risk assessment on the impact of a relegation on that strategy. It may be "terminal" in which case GP is under a lot of pressure, but I honestly doubt it is. Its no good talking long-term if you can't absorb short-term difficulties.
The Top 10 thing will be helping everyone in the Club right now, especially during the difficult moments.

Well said.

Falls on deaf ears for many here unfortunately.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Good to have a long term aim which is all the 'top 10' quote was for.

At the moment most of us would take 17th place and survival which is still very possible. There's still plenty of time to turn things around and we only need the equivalent of 9 or 10 wins from the remaining 26 to stay up, and maybe even less. Two wins in the next 2 matches and things will look more positive. We can do this!

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I accept that top 10 is a long(er)-term ambition; Rome wasn't built in a day, blah, blah, blah.

But while I can see fantastic progress in terms of infrastructure (the Training Centre in Lancing, for example), I can't see much progress where it really matters; on the pitch.

Yes, the football 'style' is better or more attractive under GP than ultra-defensive CH, but in terms of actual results and league position? We're still floundering just above the bottom 3, over-relying on there being 3 teams even more inept than us, and we're still toothless in the opponent's penalty area; attack after attack simply fizzles out - we huff-and-puff for no end product.

And defensively this season we seem frail - our record at the Amex is woeful (no wins out of 6); whatever happened to the 'fortress Amex'?

Under both CH and now GP, we actually seemed to regress in their second year of management; the expected progress in their second season not materialising.

The really odd and frustrating thing is that we signed some seemingly quality players this summer - a good blend of relative youth and proven PL experience, along with finally getting loanees like Ben White (and before him, Alex Mac) in the blue-and-white stripes - yet the team as a whole seems less than the sum of its parts.

If we don't get any points from our next 4 games (and I'm no longer optimistic), I'll become convinced that 'nice guy' GP is the main problem, and that if he isn't replaced in January, we will be relegated. I've continually given him the benefit of the doubt, but really don't think he's got the 'grit' or tactical nous to keep us up.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
I accept that top 10 is a long(er)-term ambition; Rome wasn't built in a day, blah, blah, blah.

But while I can see fantastic progress in terms of infrastructure (the Training Centre in Lancing, for example), I can't see much progress where it really matters; on the pitch.

Yes, the football 'style' is better or more attractive under GP than ultra-defensive CH,

the expected progress in their second season not materialising.

The really odd and frustrating thing is that we signed some seemingly quality players this summer - a good blend of relative youth and proven PL experience, along with finally getting loanees like Ben White (and before him, Alex Mac) in the blue-and-white stripes - p.

I think within your post there are some key points that show the difference between a longer term strategy vs. shorter term objectives , and how difficult it can be when these things don't align. Strategically, if the long=term vision is to be sustainable Top 10, the Club have decided to invest in the Training facilities, the Development pathway. That is paying dividends as you point out by players coming through that will give us the option to sell for big money that can in turn be invested. equally, it is buying exciting young talent (Webster/Maupay/Lamptey/Polish lads) that fit the same brief.
At the same time, buying very specific experienced players for good prices (Lallana, Welbeck, Veltman) is a great next step to the strategy to help the playing side and provide excellent value for money. The style of play and career development for those players may well be an important part of that selling point.
Therein is GP brief.. can you deliver these elements that deliver the strategy. It simply cannot be about the next 4 games in the Clubs eyes. Those points you raise will be seen as key milestones as progress more than our league position this year, that in the long term give us a better chance of evolving to top 10.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
It was (albeit with incredible reluctance), however the expectation setting left the board open to ridicule when things went south on the pitch. I'd have hoped they'd have learned a lesson from that, evidently not.

This is the same chairman and board that have taken us from penniless obscurity to the premier league ,,, they've got totally wrong have they?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I can't understand how this has even become a thing for some people?! I would be surprised and disappointed if ANY side in the lower end of the table didn't have aspirations to become a top 10 side.

What do you expect them to say?! We'd like to be relegated? Or we'd like to finish 16th every season?

Really odd thread and some strange responses.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
You must know to be top ten you need a top ten budget, we currently have a bottom two budget. Obviously Covid has had an impact but has it really had such a detriment it wiped roughly £50m off the summer transfer budget :shrug:

And to get a top ten budget you need to be a top ten team!
To try and break into the top ten we need to generate a top ten budget.
The only way to do this is to consistently make profits from our recruitment................
................And we're back to why Tony's strategy is the only one that makes any sense.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I can't understand how this has even become a thing for some people?! I would be surprised and disappointed if ANY side in the lower end of the table didn't have aspirations to become a top 10 side.

What do you expect them to say?! We'd like to be relegated? Or we'd like to finish 16th every season?

Really odd thread and some strange responses.

For me, it's not what's been said by the club, it's calling out what's been incorrectly interpreted by the OP. Of course they said that was the target – like you say, why wouldn't you. But the OP seems to think that someone said it would be this season, which is just bonkers.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
And defensively this season we seem frail - our record at the Amex is woeful (no wins out of 6); whatever happened to the 'fortress Amex'?

Just on this, I’m sure you may have noticed this season has taken place during a pandemic where no fans have been allowed.

Having no fans removed a big part of home advantage.

In fact most home records in the division have taken a hit.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
For me, it's not what's been said by the club, it's calling out what's been incorrectly interpreted by the OP. Of course they said that was the target – like you say, why wouldn't you. But the OP seems to think that someone said it would be this season, which is just bonkers.

To be fair to the OP he’s not alone.

One of my frequent tags here is to reply to someone asking very simply: “Do you understand what a long term goal is?”

As it’s very evident, many don’t.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Just on this, I’m sure you may have noticed this season has taken place during a pandemic where no fans have been allowed.

Having no fans removed a big part of home advantage.

In fact most home records in the division have taken a hit

But some rather more than others..... Home form.JPG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here