Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] They are the ones that said we are going for top 10.........................

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Listen i'm very happy being in the Premier League, but it was Barber or Ashworth or one of the other suits who said we would be aiming for top a 10 place this year, so this is what is in the back of most fans heads at the moment, they set the expectation level and come the end of the season they need to deliver.

Another one. When was this said? By who? Do you have a quote?

Do you know what a long term goal means?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Need to make a quantum leap from where we are now to achieve that. Having a provincial town small club budget ain't going to hack it much beyond the next season or two. Think Bournemouth. Writing's on the wall shirley without somebody with far greater financial clout doing to TB what TB did to DK? Would imagine we're already on quite a few power brokers' shortlists as takeover targets

But will [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] give the club a hard sell?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It wasn't either of them – it was Bloom – and that wasn't even what he said in relation to the whole 'top 10' thing.

Here's the direct quote: 'We haven’t got a timescale on it, but our long term vision is to be a top-ten club.'

"WE.

HAVEN'T.

GOT.

A.

TIMESCALE."

I'm not sure he could be any more clear :shrug:

and here's the link to the whole thing – there's even a video: https://www.brightonandhovealbion.c...vision-makes-for-exciting-times-at-the-albion

Astonishing isn’t it.

And these people have the vote.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Having such a thing as an aim, a target, an ambition is nothing like promising to deliver it this season. Sure it was an aim, no doubt it still is but it’s not happening yet. Don’t twist their words and hold people to account for something they never said

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Think we need a pole if people think Top Ten meant this season or a long term plan i.e. next 3/5 years.

My understanding is long term plan..

It's an easy stick to use when you are angry or not paitient to point to it meaning this season.

If we beat Fulham and Sheffield Utd then this thread will all be forgotten.

Fans are so fickle.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's all good and noble having a long term aim. But much of it relies on not taking your eye off the ball in the short term. There's not 30k hardcore Albion fans at the Amex, be lucky if there's half that. The other half will bugger off back to rugger overnight if we go down. EPL status might be a VERY long time coming round again. Why not properly invest in the short term to give the club a sporting chance of making it healthily even into the medium term?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I understood it to be a long term aim and fully expected us to be around the relegation places but hoped we would have more points in the bag at this stage. Our transfer window should have given a clue to anyone who thought we could expect top 10. No way are we doing anything but setting up to inch forward.

Looking at this year I'm not convinced there was any intention above basic survival. A gamble but no doubt a well considered one

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Think we need a pole if people think Top Ten meant this season or a long term plan i.e. next 3/5 years.

My understanding is long term plan..

It's an easy stick to use when you are angry or not paitient to point to it meaning this season.

If we beat Fulham and Sheffield Utd then this thread will all be forgotten.

Fans are so fickle.

My understanding of a long term plan is:-

Slow incremental gains towards a long term goal.

At the moment I don't think 'date of the destination' should be the issue.
The question being asked ought to be 'what date are we planning on leaving?'. :lol:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Listen i'm very happy being in the Premier League, but it was Barber or Ashworth or one of the other suits who said we would be aiming for top a 10 place this year, so this is what is in the back of most fans heads at the moment, they set the expectation level and come the end of the season they need to deliver.

They should have managed fans expectations a bit better then. West Ham did something similar when they were trying to sell the move away from Upton Park to their fans.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Nope, wrong. Not once did they say they were aiming for a top 10 place this year. Thread ended after first post.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Last season we made 41pts, here are the points needed to make 10th place over the past 5 seasons

19/20 - 54 pts
18/19 - 52 pts
17/18 - 44 pts
16/17 - 45 pts
15/16 - 50 pts

We're not too far off.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Anyone who sees the Albion as being a top ten side in the forseeable future is sadly delusional.

I have been telling anyone who will listen , that the best we can hope for, is to be a yo-yo club, i.e. to hopefully survive at the top table for a few seasons before being relagated back to the Championship for a while so that we can rebuild and mount another promotion push.

Quite simply the size of our playing budget precludes it being otherwise, and perhaps this is the season when we have to take that drop.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
They should have managed fans expectations a bit better then. West Ham did something similar when they were trying to sell the move away from Upton Park to their fans.

'They' – he (Bloom) – did: "'We haven’t got a timescale on it, but our long term vision is to be a top-ten club."

TB might have total control of the club, but even *he* can't change the fact that some fans are thick as mince :dunce:

Also, I can't help but notice that West Ham seem to be doing ok now they've settled at the new place...

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
This is going well...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
How long should it take to finish 5 places further up the table than last year? 10 year’s, score a few more and it would take 10 months [emoji23]

That simple huh? and what do you think the other teams of a similar standard to us would be doing? standing still? By all me\ans aim for the top ten, but don't expect success any time soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here