[Music] These albums are 50 years old in 2022

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Yes, fully with you there. Think HWT and I are coming closer too. I'm still somewhat resistant to the notion of progress in anything and the linear trajectories it assumes (a conservative like you might agree with that too), but with music simply because of technology and the fact that there's more doing it, and channels or platforms through which it can be released might explain the improvement.

Without wanting to sound pretentious, a pertinent song with 'soul' (can't think of another way of expressing it) would Shirley be oblivious to technological advances.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
19 but no mention of

Argus
Some Time In New York City
All Directions
What A Bunch Of Sweeties
Free At Last

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Ziggy Stardust is the only album I have got from the list, I was far too young to be buying music in 1972 though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I had a similar exchange with HWT on music. He said that music constantly improves, I disagreed. You both are saying that it stays that there's similar quality year-in, year-out, and I disagree with that too.
For me, it goes through bursts of creativity. I think the 68-74 so 72 is in there for me (although I reckon there are miles better albums than many on that list).
Most people are really attached to music of the period of their youth (16-24, and there's a scientific explanation for it which I can't recall). That was a dire period for me musically 85-93, although some great stuff was produced then, which is another way of saying I'd like to think that I buck that particular attachment.

Fair points.

Which other years have had bursts of creativity, and which bands/movements/genres, in your opinion?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Here's what's missing from the 72 list that I have on vinyl or CD or both:

Gentle Giant - Octopus
Matching Mole - Matching Mole
Black Sabbath - vol 4
The Groundhogs - Hogwash
The Beach boys - Carl and the passions - so tough!

FFS! And that's just off the top o' me 'ead.

Black Sabbath Volume 4 is utterly wonderful if that is your genre, the mighty 'Hogs were mighty, Matching Mole were the Softs in another guise, never a huge fan of the Beach Boys and have to say Gentle Giant passed me by- will have to have a listen to them...

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I have five of those listed I think but Ziggy, Harvest and Talking Book were bought a few years later. Only the debut albums there from Steely Dan and the Eagles were bought within about 12 months of their release. I was 14 at the start of ‘72 and mainly bought a few singles(financial reasons!). I mostly remember recording lots of stuff on a cassette player with mic in front of my transistor!!!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Too young to have been buying music in ‘72 but I have bought a few of them over the years, still have them in either LP or CD format;

Bowie - Ziggy
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
Deep Purple - Machine Head
Lou Reed - Transformer
Deep Purple - Made in Japan
Alice Cooper - Schools Out
Uriah Heep - Demons and Wizards
Uriah Heep - Magicians Birthday
Beefheart - Clear Spot (download)
Sabbath - Vol 4

Ziggy being one of my top 10 LPs of all time, so far.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
A few decent records, but also a lot of right old pony on that list and with no mention of 'Neu' or Big Star's '#1 Record' I declare shenanigans.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Without wanting to sound pretentious, a pertinent song with 'soul' (can't think of another way of expressing it) would Shirley be oblivious to technological advances.

You never sound pretentious, although I do sometimes :smile:
Agree with that, and that kind of indefinable 'soul' is doing precisely a lot of work. The technological advances I was referring to don't necessarily improve the music (although they can do or, more accurately, enable music to be taken in new directions -- Kraftwerk would be a prime example). It's more that they have facilitated both the production of more music and, probably more importantly, opened up numerous channels to receive it. It means there's more out there, and a wider range.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
A few decent records, but also a lot of right old pony on that list and with no mention of 'Neu' or Big Star's '#1 Record' I declare shenanigans.

Yes, those 2 would definitely be in my list too, and I'm not in a position to decree whether much of that list is pony but, for me, I suspect you'd be right. I have limited knowledge of albums' year of release, but would add that Music of My Mind was also released in 72, and I suspect it doesn't feature because only one album per artist is allowed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Yes and no. Where the technology comes in, is enabling more people with a vision to be able to produce their vision. In the past you would have needed studio time and financial means to create something.....which only the (literally) chosen few had access to. Via advances with technology you can now have an 'orchestra' in your bedroom. Sault is a good example of this. His/their 5 albums cover all manner of genres and influences......and I am pretty confident little of this, if any, was actually recorded live. There is no way he could have made these records 10/20 years ago.

On the topic of Sault, [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] , have you heard the latest album?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Fair points.

Which other years have had bursts of creativity, and which bands/movements/genres, in your opinion?

Ha, I was thinking that when I typed it, and the answer really does get at the heart of the quality versus subjectivity debate with music. As with most binaries, I think you have to work a way through them, rather than attach yourself to one or the other. So, in terms of music, it's obvious that certain music has staying power: I'll mention The Beatles especially for [MENTION=22849]Stato[/MENTION], Kraftwerk for you, and Radiohead who I've come to the view are my greatest band ever now.* But saying that introduces the subjectivity, and it's here that things get much trickier.
And that's because, in no small part, much is a result of our time and place within the world. There might be equally good bands from, for instance, Mali or Latin America that I'm just not aware of.
To try to answer your question more directly, the reason why I'm so attached to 68-74 but also want to claim that it was a period of a burst of creativity and quality, especially because of the multiple different forms of music released then: quirky British pop (Beatles, Bowie), sleazier variants (Stones), rockier forms (Zep), English folk (Nick Drake) and, from the States, titans of jazz (Nina, Miles), soul (multiples from Motown), funk (if this is where to categorise Wonder), emerging disco, Californian (Beach Boys), country-tinged stuff (Gram Parsons, however to describe Big Star), stunning long-lasting singer-songwriters (Young, Waits), and countless others that I've probably forgotten. Krautrock was also on the rise then (Neu, Kraftwerk, Can), and some brilliant reggae, ska and even emergence of dub (though that's probably a bit later). That's pretty compelling to me.
In terms of other periods, I just don't think you get that range. I think pre-68 (but unsure how far to go back) was pretty good too. But then it's far more fragmented: rise of post-punk in UK and NY in late 70s/early 80s, Bristol sound 90s, drum-and-bass/jungle, grunge/lo-fi (Pixies, Nirvana, Elliott Smith) contemporary London (and probably Chicago) jazz, neo-classical (Frahm, Arnaulds, Richter), contemporary female singer-songwriters.
And that list does exclude more 'world' music, which I just don't know enough about, which upsets me. I do recognise this list illustrates subjectivity and my journey through time/space, but I suspect that much of it will have staying power.

*Someone really into classical music would invoke Bach, Beethoven, etc

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yes and no. Where the technology comes in, is enabling more people with a vision to be able to produce their vision. In the past you would have needed studio time and financial means to create something.....which only the (literally) chosen few had access to. Via advances with technology you can now have an 'orchestra' in your bedroom. Sault is a good example of this. His/their 5 albums cover all manner of genres and influences......and I am pretty confident little of this, if any, was actually recorded live. There is no way he could have made these records 10/20 years ago.

On the topic of Sault, [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] , have you heard the latest album?

I have, but only a few times. I'm completely unsure about it, but will buy it when it comes out on CD anyway. Your thoughts/experience with it?

Edit: although now having read through to the end of your post, I just can't get beyond the quality of what Stevie Wonder produced in a short time around 72/73.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have, but only a few times. I'm completely unsure about it, but will buy it when it comes out on CD anyway. Your thoughts/experience with it?

Edit: although now having read through to the end of your post, I just can't get beyond the quality of what Stevie Wonder produced in a short time around 72/73.

I had not read a single review so it took me completely by surprise and the initial listen was just one of shock. I have gone back to it though, and now understand it better and very much like it. In one sense it sits perfectly in his Sault CV, but in another it doesnt. It's cinematic, almost an open letter asking for a soundtrack commission. The OST will most certainly come.

I'll definitely buy it when it comes out in physical form.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports