Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] These albums are 50 years old in 2022

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I was interested in which of the albums listed for 1972 that you considered to be dross. There are a handful that I would say are dross, just interested to know which ones you were thinking of

Had a quick scroll for discussion purposes.

3 immediates: Floyd, ELP, Townshend.

Will come back for more....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Had a quick scroll for discussion purposes.

3 immediates: Floyd, ELP, Townshend.

Will come back for more....

:lolol: I’ll agree with two of those but disagree vehemently about one!

I would also chuck in anything by Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper and Yes

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
:lolol: I’ll agree with two of those but disagree vehemently about one!

Therein lies the beauty of music.

We all have a billion songs at our fingertips, and find it surprising, sometimes deflating or bewildered when we say 'here, you'll love this' and you get a :shrug:.

Long may that last. On car journeys to aways we have a mixed playlist to accommodate everyone.

My eyes close and my heart sinks when Lionel Richie comes on..

...but mine will be soon!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You need to know every album listed intimately on whatever year you choose to come to that conclusion surely?

Assuming it’s your decision rather than a rock journalists

I personally don’t think I need to know an album intimately, or even at all, to know it’s good or has significance or cultural importance. Someone in another thread mentioned Pavement, a band I have never knowingly listened to. But I read about music a lot and know they’re a band which are culturally important, have numerous great/classic albums, and have influenced many others.

My overriding point is that every year has important and/or great albums. This is all and it’s just my opinion but I feel it has merit.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I personally don’t think I need to know an album intimately, or even at all, to know it’s good or has significance or cultural importance. Someone in another thread mentioned Pavement, a band I have never knowingly listened to. But I read about music a lot and know they’re a band which are culturally important, have numerous great/classic albums, and have influenced many others.

My overriding point is that every year has important and/or great albums. This is all and it’s just my opinion but I feel it has merit.

Try Slanted & Enchanted, a great debut album.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
And Little Feat are still not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

That’s one of the few albums there I have either got or ever had, along with Caravanserai, Foxtrot, Eat a Peach. Can’t buy a thrill and Roxy Music.

Edit: oh, and Transformer, Harvest andTalking Book, having looked at it again. I was 19 and staring my first year at University in September….

Last edited:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Although previously mentioned, on this subject matter this audiobook is magnificent.

619aFBiBlqL._SL500_.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Exactly. Pick a year, any year. Don't show it to me. List the best albums from it.
Yep, there are some classics there, and some dross.

Agree.

I randomly looked up 1990 and there’s 5 albums which I could term as classics in their fields. I might not necessarily like them all myself but that’s not the point.

I had a similar exchange with HWT on music. He said that music constantly improves, I disagreed. You both are saying that it stays that there's similar quality year-in, year-out, and I disagree with that too.
For me, it goes through bursts of creativity. I think the 68-74 so 72 is in there for me (although I reckon there are miles better albums than many on that list).
Most people are really attached to music of the period of their youth (16-24, and there's a scientific explanation for it which I can't recall). That was a dire period for me musically 85-93, although some great stuff was produced then, which is another way of saying I'd like to think that I buck that particular attachment.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I had a similar exchange with HWT on music. He said that music constantly improves, I disagreed. You both are saying that it stays that there's similar quality year-in, year-out, and I disagree with that too.
For me, it goes through bursts of creativity. I think the 68-74 so 72 is in there for me (although I reckon there are miles better albums than many on that list).
Most people are really attached to music of the period of their youth (16-24, and there's a scientific explanation for it which I can't recall). That was a dire period for me musically 85-93, although some great stuff was produced then, which is another way of saying I'd like to think that I buck that particular attachment.
The most pleasure we get from music is emotionally, usually from moments in the past.

You hear a song, it takes you back to a particular moment in your life.
Unless you were there too, the person you're trying to convince will be none the wiser.

I have a favourite year, not because the music was of a better quality than surrounding years but due to the specific memories the songs conjure up.

On the obverse, how many people look at you blankly when you hear a song on holiday that grabs you. You buy it and tell everyone how great it is. Get it back here and it's crap.

Ask me the best year ever for music, I'm definite and unswerving. Solely down to memories. People confuse quality with memory.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Here's what's missing from the 72 list that I have on vinyl or CD or both:

Gentle Giant - Octopus
Matching Mole - Matching Mole
Black Sabbath - vol 4
The Groundhogs - Hogwash
The Beach boys - Carl and the passions - so tough!

FFS! And that's just off the top o' me 'ead.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Exactly. Pick a year, any year. Don't show it to me. List the best albums from it.
Yep, there are some classics there, and some dross.

The most pleasure we get from music is emotionally, usually from moments in the past.

You hear a song, it takes you back to a particular moment in your life.
Unless you were there too, the person you're trying to convince will be none the wiser.

I have a favourite year, not because the music was of a better quality than surrounding years but due to the specific memories the songs conjure up.

On the obverse, how many people look at you blankly when you hear a song on holiday that grabs you. You buy it and tell everyone how great it is. Get it back here and it's crap.

Ask me the best year ever for music, I'm definite and unswerving. Solely down to memories. People confuse quality with memory.

There's something in that. Not entirely convinced by your memory trumping or being memory idea, but that's not to deny the importance of memory to music (or other occasions, eg meals, even football matches).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Well, the quality wobbles about but the trajectory seems to me to be clear. More better stuff year in year. No longer is music catalogued by the charts, then NME, then whatever happened after that. There are people making music now that they sell direct. I have been to gigs in London by artists with no mainstream media, no 'record deal' and the venue is sold out with every person in the audience knowing every word of every song.

Just off the top o' me 'ead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P7VgqaFJxI&list=RDEM6jpzv7gp13qNzyQFhR6k7Q&index=12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qEbsG2AlNk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5ixNXa6Nuc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OsETaZhBzE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxRq23qVE8A&list=RDEM6jpzv7gp13qNzyQFhR6k7Q&index=14

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
There's something in that. Not entirely convinced by your memory trumping or being memory idea, but that's not to deny the importance of memory to music (or other occasions, eg meals, even football matches).

On an aside, I feel music has so much power in the mind

A compilation video for example. Whether it be a wedding, a school sports day or a Brighton promotion.

Play it with relevant, emotional music, then play it silent.

As someone who's made quite a few of these, the double whammy of vision AND sound is quite powerful, the relevance of the music being more important than the quality.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
On an aside, I feel music has so much power in the mind

A compilation video for example. Whether it be a wedding, a school sports day or a Brighton promotion.

Play it with relevant, emotional music, then play it silent.

As someone who's made quite a few of these, the double whammy of vision AND sound is quite powerful, the relevance of the music being more important than the quality.

Yes, fully with you there. Think HWT and I are coming closer too. I'm still somewhat resistant to the notion of progress in anything and the linear trajectories it assumes (a conservative like you might agree with that too), but with music simply because of technology and the fact that there's more doing it, and channels or platforms through which it can be released might explain the improvement.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I think that's a fairly typical . . .for 10 or so . . . Ziggy probably 'sold' more in the last 5 years than its first 5 years

I use sold very loosely.

Ziggy made the top 10 at least, Clear Spot didn’t even make the album sales charts in the UK, and probably didn’t in the US, but it’s a well regarded album that makes it into a list like this.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Here's what's missing from the 72 list that I have on vinyl or CD or both:

Gentle Giant - Octopus
Matching Mole - Matching Mole
Black Sabbath - vol 4
The Groundhogs - Hogwash
The Beach boys - Carl and the passions - so tough!

FFS! And that's just off the top o' me 'ead.

Vol 4 is on the list :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here