Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Think if we get no incoming by the end of tomorrow we're going with what we have until deadline week and hope something falls into our laps. The cluster approach was total bollocks imo, either that or we were so clueless in recruitment our entire cluster was miles out of our league in every position which makes no sense.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Once the dust is settled on the January window I'd be very interested to know what difference having this extra time had on our transfer business.

It gives you the opportunity to draw up a bigger list of targets, have preliminary talks with agents and get a better feel for the market, although the reality is you're effectively taking a ticket from the dispenser and waiting to be served along with everyone else. That said, it is sometimes the case ground work done in the summer can yield results when the January window opens.

Huddersfield didn't have the luxury of the extra month so have gone in early and splashed the cash on 3 big players in Mounie, Ince and Mooy.

We had a six week head start on Hudd.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Think if we get no incoming by the end of tomorrow we're going with what we have until deadline week and hope something falls into our laps. The cluster approach was total bollocks imo, either that or we were so clueless in recruitment our entire cluster was miles out of our league in every position which makes no sense.

No chance will we go into the Fan Forum without a considerable signing, that'd make for some difficult questions to answer otherwise. It's happened every year, even last year which was soured by the Pritchard episode we still brought in Norwood.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
No chance will we go into the Fan Forum without a considerable signing, that'd make for some difficult questions to answer otherwise. It's happened every year, even last year which was soured by the Pritchard episode we still brought in Norwood.

I hope you are right but the difficult questions in these areas never seem to get asked.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC

They'll get asked and you'll get the same bullshit spin you get every year. Someone always brings it up and they run you around in circles and it never really gets addressed and honestly why should they? I'd rather they did their talking in the market not the forum. They aren't doing either as it stands :drink:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The views on here are pretty polarised with not much middle ground between optimistic and pessimistic. I sway toward the latter without doubt. By now I wouldn't have expected all our business completed but I would have hoped That one of the key signings either up front or in midfield were on board.
We have been preparing for this for a while and supposedly operate a cluster recruitment policy and yet it seems we are here hoping for prices to fall or someone to become available. What happened to our list? So what is the current plan and where are we. Working through the list or taking a big gamble in hoping something comes off nearer the time.
Let's hope if it's the latter we don't run into a Stephens situation as Burnley did last year.

When I choose to be lucid I do get 'it'.
The £20m bid for Gray being the latest in a long line of proof.
I like the fact that 'my' club is attempting to go about it's business in a responsible manner.

I just really struggle with the disconnect between what we're told and what actually happens.
Even then I can all but square the circle by firmly believing the intentions at the time are well meaning, they just aren't honest. Worryingly though the pattern over the years would suggest, the club aren't just blowing smoke, but seem genuinely surprised every 6 months.

There's a list as long as your arm of quotes from B,B&H about who's needed how it's going to happen.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if at least 2 of them have said how important it is to get the targets in early.

Then nothing, other than murmurings about how much it all costs.

Really I can't say I'd noticed. :facepalm:

If nothing else it all seems a little amateurish, go one way, fight the system, or t'other, and write up uncomfortable contracts.
Just stop saying the club will do both.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We had a six week head start on Hudd.

and the rest.

Perennial play-off candidates, top 2 all season.
The club has had, what 4 transfer windows?, to scout and talk to potential Premier League players, as shown by finally getting Gross as soon as promotion was secured.

Huddersfield all but started from scratch, the day after beating Reading.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
and the rest.

Perennial play-off candidates, top 2 all season.
The club has had, what 4 transfer windows?, to scout and talk to potential Premier League players, as shown by finally getting Gross as soon as promotion was secured.

Huddersfield all but started from scratch, the day after beating Reading.

In August 2016 Hudd according to the bookies and their own fans were relegation candidates.

Any thoughts of compiling a list of players and how to invest on players by many £10m's, were pipe dreams.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In August 2016 Hudd according to the bookies and their own fans were relegation candidates.

Any thoughts of compiling a list of players and how to invest on players by many £10m's, were pipe dreams.

I'm being a bit dim here as I don't quite understand what you mean.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes, I've been ticked off by CJ already. OK, my point is still valid. £10M (or £10M plus plus) per year deficit is not sustainable.

It is if you're worth £2-3bn, have an income of several £100m a year and it's your hobby.

£10m a year to TB is barely the equivalent of the cost of a season ticket to the rest of us in relative terms.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I really don't understand the argument that there is still a month until the window closes. It's true of course but it is only 9 days until our first game.

Surely you would want to get the business done BEFORE the first game? Then you have all the squad to bond together, train together, understand the manager's outlook on tactics etc etc. It seems daft to leave it all so late.

And it surely can't have come as any surprise to the club what the "going rate" is for quality PL standard players. If we want to survive we have to invest. If the money isn't there, or is there but we are not prepared to spend it, then just tell us! We will understand.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It is if you're worth £2-3bn, have an income of several £100m a year and it's your hobby.

£10m a year to TB is barely the equivalent of the cost of a season ticket to the rest of us in relative terms.
Glad you're so positive and certain that he'll go on doing it forever! Of course, if it's not the £10M (plus) that I suggested, but more like your £35M suggestion, we're buggered by ffp.......................

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Glad you're so positive and certain that he'll go on doing it forever! Of course, if it's not the £10M (plus) that I suggested, but more like your £35M suggestion, we're buggered by ffp.......................

Well he seems to be so as a worst case scenario for the next season or two it's ok for me. £10 or £35m is much the same to his Lordship I reckon but agree FFP might be an issue (although several other clubs seem nit to give a ****)

Staying up would be hugely preferable of course......sustainable growth etc.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It's only 180 days until the January transfer window SLAMS shut...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here