Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Naylor doesn't seem to like fans having fun and speculating.

He seems to forget that we don't all have the same access to sources that he no doubt has.

Do we all ring up Paul Barber, Winstanley etc when we read a rumour on Twitter and want to check it then ?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I have a feeling there will be at least one tomorrow afternoon. Not actually based on anything, mind.

Signing Brown would be a start but it doesn't really solve any of our problems. We will surely still need another striker to go along with at least one more CM, at least one full back, a CB if Goldson goes out on loan, another winger ideally and a backup keeper if Maenpaa doesn't sign. Busy few weeks ahead.

Surely there is no way that we will go into the season with Murray, Baldock, Hemed and Brown as our attacking options...

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Do we all ring up Paul Barber, Winstanley etc when we read a rumour on Twitter and want to check it then ?
My point, exactly put.

It is all very well for Naylor to pontificate about fans speculating, but fans do not have his contacts nor insidish info, so him moaning about fans speculation in a news vaccuum is a bit poor.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I have a feeling there will be at least one tomorrow afternoon. Not actually based on anything, mind.

I have a feeling it will be tonight.

Surely there is no way that we will go into the season with Murray, Baldock, Hemed and Brown as our attacking options...

If it's 442/4411 then we'll have Murray/Hemed/A.Nother as no9, and Baldock/Gross/HopefullynotBrown as second striker/no10.

Gross would also fill in at no8 if A.Nother2/Kayal are out.

I suppose the benefit of (pleasenot)Brown is that he can play out wide too, though Hudds fans claim he is utterly wasted out there.

Last edited:

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Are you the guy off Twitter who suggested this?

Who in their right mind thinks Walter is what we are looking for? He's almost THIRTY FOUR (we already have GM filling the slot of old striker) and has scored only 9 goals in the last 2 seasons at an average of one every 335 minutes.

Never scored more than 8 in one PL season.

Just an all round SHIT player. And i'm not even gonna say IMO because it's not my opinion, he just is really ****ing awful.

I made the point a couple of weeks ago that Hughton needs three or four experienced PL players - at least one CB, one midfielder and a striker. You need experience running through the backbone of the team.

Among the players I suggested was Jon Walters.

To start with he is not 34 until September - but the guy is a war horse - a warrior who just keeps going. With his type of game he could keep going for three or four more years. Walters has scored 43 goals in 226 games for Stoke and another 14 in 49 games for the Republic of Ireland since 2010. The main reason why he only played 13 games last season was that he was out for nearly 3 months after a knee operation. He has been crucial to creating a stable PL club in Stoke - and he is the guy that they consistently turn to when they need someone to put the head down and get the job done - and often with Walters it is not to score goals but to hold up the ball, take the pressure off the defence and lay the ball off to runners coming through the middle. He is being sold now because he has been in dispute with the club over his contract and he has one year left on his current deal.

He will not play 90 minutes in every game - he doesn't have to - and there is a reason why Dyche is willing to spend £3million on him - he knows that Walters will do a job and he will take up the slack when Burnley sell Andre Grey for £15-£20million.

£3million is chicken feed for Walters in the context of the money being thrown around the PL. He would have been an ideal addition for Brighton - experience, gives 100%, knows what the game is all about and is a war horse. I really am surprised that Hughton didn't make a play for him - bringing him in on a two year deal would have been a smart move and Walters had nothing to lose even if Brighton were relegated.

It is not easy to get players who are good enough to sign for Brighton - the lack of signings (and question marks over the ones that have happened) will put others off joining (the Abraham fiasco is an example). It is crucial for Hughton to get in some experience - Walters is gone - Snodgrass is still available - I would give Southampton £10million for Shane Long - and there are a few others who would bring important experience to the dressing room. Then go and try and get the likes of Diony for £13million or Brown on loan. But to be honest - signing the likes of Jackson Irvine for £1million won't cut it.

Now it is possible that the Brighton board have decided to roll the dice with the current squad - hope they survive and look to build next season. But this will likely lead-to dropping straight back down. Now that would not necessarily be a disaster - the club could pocket most of the £100million - get next season's balloon payment and come back up the following year with £100million + in the bank, another £100million on the way and looking to splash the cash then, Looking at the players that Hughton has signed and is linked with - it looks more and more like the club are adding to the squad to make sure of winning the Championship in 2018-19 than staying in the PL in 2017-18. Splashing the cash like Huddersfield is a risky business and can put the club on the ropes - planning for relegation and coming straight back up is also a major risk. I suppose you could say that Brighton are hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I made the point a couple of weeks ago that Hughton needs three or four experienced PL players - at least one CB, one midfielder and a striker. You need experience running through the backbone of the team.

Among the players I suggested was Jon Walters.

To start with he is not 34 until September - but the guy is a war horse - a warrior who just keeps going. With his type of game he could keep going for three or four more years. Walters has scored 43 goals in 226 games for Stoke and another 14 in 49 games for the Republic of Ireland since 2010. The main reason why he only played 13 games last season was that he was out for nearly 3 months after a knee operation. He has been crucial to creating a stable PL club in Stoke - and he is the guy that they consistently turn to when they need someone to put the head down and get the job done - and often with Walters it is not to score goals but to hold up the ball, take the pressure off the defence and lay the ball off to runners coming through the middle. He is being sold now because he has been in dispute with the club over his contract and he has one year left on his current deal.

He will not play 90 minutes in every game - he doesn't have to - and there is a reason why Dyche is willing to spend £3million on him - he knows that Walters will do a job and he will take up the slack when Burnley sell Andre Grey for £15-£20million.

£3million is chicken feed for Walters in the context of the money being thrown around the PL. He would have been an ideal addition for Brighton - experience, gives 100%, knows what the game is all about and is a war horse. I really am surprised that Hughton didn't make a play for him - bringing him in on a two year deal would have been a smart move and Walters had nothing to lose even if Brighton were relegated.

It is not easy to get players who are good enough to sign for Brighton - the lack of signings (and question marks over the ones that have happened) will put others off joining (the Abraham fiasco is an example). It is crucial for Hughton to get in some experience - Walters is gone - Snodgrass is still available - I would give Southampton £10million for Shane Long - and there are a few others who would bring important experience to the dressing room. Then go and try and get the likes of Diony for £13million or Brown on loan. But to be honest - signing the likes of Jackson Irvine for £1million won't cut it.

Now it is possible that the Brighton board have decided to roll the dice with the current squad - hope they survive and look to build next season. But this will likely lead-to dropping straight back down. Now that would not necessarily be a disaster - the club could pocket most of the £100million - get next season's balloon payment and come back up the following year with £100million + in the bank, another £100million on the way and looking to splash the cash then, Looking at the players that Hughton has signed and is linked with - it looks more and more like the club are adding to the squad to make sure of winning the Championship in 2018-19 than staying in the PL in 2017-18. Splashing the cash like Huddersfield is a risky business and can put the club on the ropes - planning for relegation and coming straight back up is also a major risk. I suppose you could say that Brighton are hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

Are you his agent? Nice try if you are. Last year, or the year before, he mighr have been useful to us (IMHO) although I'm fairly sure wages would have been a problem. But that was then, this is now..............

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Now it is possible that the Brighton board have decided to roll the dice with the current squad - hope they survive and look to build next season.
Jeez - what a load of patronising old shite! What bunch of shysters do you support (well 5p in the £ support anyway)?

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
So, getting back to basics. I noticed that someone had suggested that Julian Borner from Armenia Bielefeld will be signing for us. Bit of a random twitter account though

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I see Hatem Ben Arfa is free to leave PSG, didnt Hughton sign him for Newcastle ? Still only 30, him opposite Knockaert would make us flair central :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here