Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Better squad, how so? Huddersfield finished miles behind us and we gave Newcastle the title at the death and not cos they had a better squad!!!

How so?

Newcastle beat us twice and Huddersfield played us off the park in the latter part of the season.

Newcastle had a more talented squad than we did. Huddersfield of course didn't.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yeah one point on that. Every year we aren't in the PL.

You might be able to get away with having players come in late and not be fully versed on the team tactics and their new team mates in the Championship or lower but the PL doesn't allow for that when you have a team like Man City first up.

It's best to have had the new players training and playing as much as possible with their new squad so they can hit the ground running come first game.

Which is well said, and exactly my POV... to quote 'fail to prepare, prepare to fail'...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This has a full list of every Prem signing so far.
https://www.premierleague.com/transfers/summer/2017

Everton and Watford are the only clubs who have signed > 3 players.
Most have signed 1-2 like er, us.

If you imagine the smarter clubs in the Premier League completes all its business whilst Wimbledon is still on and we're "behind" then i'm afraid you are sadly mistaken.
What percentages of business done / business needed is there for each club ? ???

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Well Newcastle are doomed then as they've signed 2 players like us. Huddersfield likewise as they've just added players who were playing for them anyway.

You used the word doomed... I say we need to show some urgency...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There are only 3 Prem teams that have a demonstrable need to strengthen to survive... that is the true context CJ... comparing us to top or middling Prem clubs is fallacious... sorry...
Yep.

The key point that is repeatedly and spectacularly missed.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Glad to see it's that time of year when people churn out the embarrassing 'bed wetting' phrase, removing any credence their post may have contained.

This... please note GB...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If they were only relevant facts...

Number of players signed in the window so far by each Premier League club compared to the Albion aren't relevant ? Blimey.
Happy to peruse any facts that show a correlation between date of players signed and success of season ? Do you have em B.W ?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
ok. here goes. not sure my reading of this for the Albion is Fail to Prepare or Prepare to Fail etc etc.
and hey . Everton aren't messing around.
But as for everyone else. then its BAU i think.

Players signed: as of July 4 2017
via : https://www.premierleague.com/transfers/summer/2017

Arsenal - 1
Brighton - 3 (or 2 if you don't count Josh Kerr)
Bournemouth - 3
Burnley - 0
Chelsea -1
Palace - 0
Everton - 6
Hudds - 3
Leicester - 2
Liverpool -2
Man City -2
Man Utd - 1
Newcastle - 2
Southampton -2
Spurs - 0
Stoke - 1
Swansea - 1
Watford -4
West Brom -2
West Ham - 1

Those teams already have well established PL squads in most cases.

We're coming from much further back than most of them in terms of quality of players and squad strength. Best advantage we can have is to be super well drilled and have a team all familiar with each others game and the managers required style.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don't know. What do you think it is for the Albion ?
I'd be very surprised if most clubs aren't looking for 5-7 players.
8 more needed ( not counting any U21 ) including the non-signed Maenpaa. Add the 2 signed, makes us 2 / 10 ie 20 % done.

Not many others that far behind the curve are there ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yep.

The key point that is repeatedly and spectacularly missed.

Agreed. It is the key point. But this thread and the argument i'm er, rebutting is not about the quality of players bought, how they improve the squad , or the impact of new contracts for players we've confirmed (Dunk, Stephens, Baldock, Bong, Bruno, Knockaert etc), but the rather spurious idea that its about both the volume of players bought (More than every other club is what i'm hearing) and the dates on which they've signed. (Early July is better than Early August is what i'm hearing)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Number of players signed in the window so far by each Premier League club compared to the Albion aren't relevant ? Blimey.
Happy to peruse any facts that show a correlation between date of players signed and success of season ? Do you have em B.W ?

Hi CJ... I really like your posts, but the point I'm trying (and failing, obviously) to make is that there are 3 clubs, the 3 promoted clubs, that have a far greater need to strengthen, and strengthen early IMHO (prepare to fail...), to survive... therefore, comparing us to the big boys, or even the middle-tier clubs for that matter is, on the basis of a count of signings so far and IMHO, fallacious... as a statistician, this is one of my favourite words...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Hi CJ... I really like your posts, but the point I'm trying (and failing, obviously) to make is that there are 3 clubs, the 3 promoted clubs, that have a far greater need to strengthen, and strengthen early IMHO (prepare to fail...), to survive... therefore, comparing us to the big boys, or even the middle-tier clubs for that matter is, on the basis of a count of signings so far and IMHO, fallacious... as a statistician, this is one of my favourite words...

This?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
8 more needed ( not counting any U21 ) including the non-signed Maenpaa. Add the 2 signed, makes us 2 / 10 ie 20 % done.

Not many others that far behind the curve are there ?

It was widely reported 6-7 weeks ago Maenpaa was going to sign-on again. Not sure why the hold up. A better offer of more first team football elsewhere perhaps? Can anyone shed any light on this? We don't want to have to sign two more goalkeepers..

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

I would love to see the stats in the 2nd line of your post above... sorry, don't have 'em...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

I get the point :). And you're of course right that comparing success of the transfer window for a promoted club based purely on # of signings on random date (July 4th) compared to rest of Prem is fallacious but hey thats the data we have.

But I just don't know where people expect us to be at this point (July 4th, 10 days out from first friendly, 39 days out from Man City, 2 months or thereabouts til end of window) , how the club isn't demonstrating urgency when obviously its transfer activity remains mostly hidden from us. So arguing we're ahead or behind or not prepared is way way too premature and a bit moot.
Ask me again in August.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here