Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Another keep calm message from the club in today's Argus. I get the need to manage, where possible, supporter expectation but that's 3 or 4 this week along the same lines from the club in the argus and on the website.
Are the club finding this harder than expected?
On that basis nothing in for me until next week and I not counting any renewals. I hope to be massively and completely wrong.
Oh ffs. NOT ANOTHER ONE.

Why can't they just keep quiet rather than keep broadcasting such a negative gloomy situation ?

Last edited:

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
CH today is saying nothing new, different or unusual so no panic at all. Obviously we won't have all signings completed before city game..( never do gave all done before close of window). Also says won't just sign anyone...,therefore very normal things to say and much seems similar to other day....

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
The transfer market at the elite end is always a slow starter. we just need to wait for the big 4/5/6/7 to do their business, this will then allow them to start selling. Before you know it a constipated transfer market is unbunged and we can start disposing of our own poop.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So we could be three or four games into the season and still not have a completed squad? Am I wrong to think that is a potential banana skin for a team that has just been promoted and will need the new players to gel. Was not expecting this tbh, next it will be how we can't compete for forwards of the right quality.

So much for getting auto meaning you were so far ahead of the team that came up via the playoffs :smile:

Oh and before the usuals jump on this post, I am not wetting the bed or panicking as I really wouldn't be that bothered if we went back to the Championship at season's end. I'd just like to see us do better than the three that went down last year, otherwise it will be a season from hell after the euphoria and thrills of the last two seasons.

Let's hope the club are bluffing and we get the majority of players needed in long before the end of August.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Same old same old!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It's no surprise that we will still be recruiting between the man city game and the transfer deadline.

It would have been nice to know though that will have 3 or 4 in before season start, rather than focus on the negative.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Not sure it's a gloomy message. Just saying what we already know.
Problem I see we will have is that certain players we want like Gomez will be at Liverpool until they sign everyone they want, and they will want a lot of cover for all the extra games they may have to play. Only then will he be allowed on loan.
I predict maybe another 2 in before the city game but can see a lot of business being done in the last 3/4 days as clubs across Europe finalise their squads and certain players may become unexpectedly available. The summer window is always the same for all clubs. I personally would prefer clubs to finalise a squad before the opening day

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Why are people so surprised we are having difficulties in signing players?
If you a decent premier player you want to play for a club established in the division, not one who will probably go straight down. Any player who does want to sign with us are looking for a decent pay day and fortunately I think the boss can see through them.
The supporters will eventually push the club into buying players we don't really need.
Our problem will be is that we don't have a great nucleus of players that we need to add to. We need to buy that nucleus and that's not going to happen any time soon.
Accept the reality, enjoy the ride and the bumps along the road won't be as painful!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why are people so surprised we are having difficulties in signing players?
If you a decent premier player you want to play for a club established in the division, not one who will probably go straight down. Any player who does want to sign with us are looking for a decent pay day and fortunately I think the boss can see through them.
The supporters will eventually push the club into buying players we don't really need.
Our problem will be is that we don't have a great nucleus of players that we need to add to. We need to buy that nucleus and that's not going to happen any time soon.
Accept the reality, enjoy the ride and the bumps along the road won't be as painful!

Not a chance that will happen, and rightly so. TB is not that weak willed. FACT

Worriers like me have no chance of influencing anything at this club :smile:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Another keep calm message from the club in today's Argus. I get the need to manage, where possible, supporter expectation but that's 3 or 4 this week along the same lines from the club in the argus and on the website.
Are the club finding this harder than expected?
On that basis nothing in for me until next week and I not counting any renewals. I hope to be massively and completely wrong.

Is it a keep calm message from the club, or is the Argus looking for something/anything to report on the Albion when there is no news? Basically, Naylor asked Hughton how the transfers are going and Hughton was calm and measured like he is in every interview about everything ever. Nothing to see here and no problem.

We have signed a number 10 and an international goalkeeper and it isn't even July yet. No club bar Bournemouth is ahead of us in terms of signings/completing their squad this summer.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not a chance that will happen, and rightly so. TB is not that weak willed. FACT

Worriers like me have no chance of influencing anything at this club :smile:

100% correct. We're all impatient, ****ing ourselves at the thought of Man City turning up and us being down to 9 fit players or something. The club will do what they think is best. Track record over the last couple of seasons is pretty good. There will be a load of frantic activity for plenty of clubs in the last few days of the window as always. How much have Toon done so far ? Hudds ?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
100% correct. We're all impatient, ****ing ourselves at the thought of Man City turning up and us being down to 9 fit players or something. The club will do what they think is best. Track record over the last couple of seasons is pretty good. There will be a load of frantic activity for plenty of clubs in the last few days of the window as always. How much have Toon done so far ? Hudds ?

Newcastle have signed Christian Atsu, that is it.
Huddersfield have signed Elias Kachunga (though they had him on loan last season so no addition to their squad) and Laurent Depoitre (a 1 in the 3 striker in the Belgian leagues)

We have done significantly better than both of them at this stage.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Most clubs will be replacing 10-15 % of their 25 man squads. We need to do about another 35 % !!

10-15% of 25 players is 2 or 3 signings. I would wager an awful lot of money that every single Premier League club will make more than 3 signings. I would expect established clubs to make 5 or so actual first team squad signings. I stand by first statement, only Bournemouth are further towards their final squad than us.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Is it a keep calm message from the club, or is the Argus looking for something/anything to report on the Albion when there is no news? Basically, Naylor asked Hughton how the transfers are going and Hughton was calm and measured like he is in every interview about everything ever. Nothing to see here and no problem.

We have signed a number 10 and an international goalkeeper and it isn't even July yet. No club bar Bournemouth is ahead of us in terms of signings/completing their squad this summer.
h

My thoughts exactly....not much to add to what CH already said, slow news means rehash of same old same old..

Lets look at it from a positive perspective. We had a pretty decent team last season. Many of our players would have been poached by PL teams if we hadn't gained promotion, so we need to appreciate that we have some potentially good Pl players already. And even though they are untested (bar one or two) in the PL, it also means, we will be looked upon as an easy target, which is not a bad thing. Teams always seem to relax when playing underdogs, and the lesser teams raise their game. That might even out the playing field for us.

The other thing to consider is that too many new signings can upset the balance of the team, and ruin the team spirit that was so important last season. The players that were so important for our promotion last season deserve their crack at it, so lets not write them off. Some of them are gonna surprise a few people!

Yes, we do need to improve the squad, and purchase some new players. The problem we have, as the new boys, is we are so far down the pecking order when it comes to established PL players. As others have pointed out, we have to wait for the big boys to get their new signings in first, and then we get to chose from their cast offs. The only other source is decent foreign players desperate to play in the PL, but are aware that there is no interest from the top clubs (i.e., Gross and Matt), or from our lower leagues.

We really needed another another 5 or 6 decent players. That went up to 7 when we lost Stockers. We have a couple, including a decent looking No10 in Gross, and a good replacement keeper. The rest may have to wait till the season starts, but I get the feeling we will get in one or two more before then.

So before we all start wetting our beds because we haven't made enough signings, lets give our lads a chance to prove themselves first. There will definitely be new signings, and a couple of loan players too. They just might not be there for pre-season. But that is ok, they can join us when they can, and fit in with the nucleus of our current squad.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
We need to get younger and faster, but if we didn't sign another player before the start of the season I don't think it would be the end of the world. The players who got us promoted deserve a chance.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Sam Vokes, Scott Arfield, Ashley Barnes etc.

All players I imagine Burnley fans this time last year were thinking would need to be replaced or upgraded. Arguably 3 of their best players last season.

We do need to strengthen, but we will find the same thing next season whereby some players will surprise people and cope with the step up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here