Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
It is indeed a risky move heading into the final stretch with a vulnerable front line..... I wonder what the problem is... it's not as if this is a surprise.... it's been on the agenda for months now.....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I would imagine the problems are price, availability and the fact that just about every club in the land are looking for a striker!!

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
The same thing happens EVERY window and still people panic!! The only time we failed to get a player in was last window I believe.

It will go down to the last 2 days. I would suspect we have a list of 3 players. The clubs who have those players will also be doing business and depending on what happens with that we will get our first , second , third choice (or perhaps even 4th 5th , 6th etc)

I cannot believe in a million years that we would go into the last few months of the season with 3 strikers. That would be risking football suicide.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I would imagine the problems are price, availability and the fact that just about every club in the land are looking for a striker!!

But with the current squad:

1. The past week MUST have made it crystal clear that we're only a couple of mishaps away from have ZERO strikers available at some stage
2. We all know that the moment the window shuts we WILL have some sort of unfortunate injury crisis
3. We have good cover in most positions OTHER THAN strikers
4. We've reduced the squad size below the usual level, perhaps even 3 below is Ince goes
5. IF we fail to strengthen AND we fail to go up, the club must know that (rightly or wrongly) a lot of the blame will be put at their door (especially if we DO run out of strikers).

Therefore, I think we will and must add at least 1 player to the squad this window, and it MUST be or include another striker

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I think we'll get someone in. It quite often happens late in this transfer window. I'm not concerned.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
We must be a very attractive club for any prospective strikers to play for. Even if it is a loan move... Would be very shocked if we don't bring anyone in but as previously said it normally goes down to the last day or two.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Must admit that I was sure that when we failed on August deadline day to sign Russell or Wells or perhaps others, we'd have lined up someone in the following few weeks to sign in early January.

Letting Elvis and LuaLua go out on loan somewhat reinforced this view.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Yes, but not every club is top of the Championship with probably the greatest facilities outside the Prem, and definitely the best manager... no excuses, get it done...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The same thing happens EVERY window and still people panic!! The only time we failed to get a player in was last window I believe.

It will go down to the last 2 days. I would suspect we have a list of 3 players. The clubs who have those players will also be doing business and depending on what happens with that we will get our first , second , third choice (or perhaps even 4th 5th , 6th etc)

I cannot believe in a million years that we would go into the last few months of the season with 3 strikers. That would be risking football suicide.

I admire your optimism, but we failed in the summer, and the mood music from Chris is rather negative, despite us holding nearly all the aces...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
But with the current squad:

1. The past week MUST have made it crystal clear that we're only a couple of mishaps away from have ZERO strikers available at some stage
2. We all know that the moment the window shuts we WILL have some sort of unfortunate injury crisis
3. We have good cover in most positions OTHER THAN strikers
4. We've reduced the squad size below the usual level, perhaps even 3 below is Ince goes
5. IF we fail to strengthen AND we fail to go up, the club must know that (rightly or wrongly) a lot of the blame will be put at their door (especially if we DO run out of strikers).

Therefore, I think we will and must add at least 1 player to the squad this window, and it MUST be or include another striker

Rightly...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Must admit that I was sure that when we failed on August deadline day to sign Russell or Wells or perhaps others, we'd have lined up someone in the following few weeks to sign in early January.

Letting Elvis and LuaLua go out on loan somewhat reinforced this view.

Me too... I just don't get why someone wasn't lined-up and signed Jan 1... we got away with it against Cardiff, but this is a serious problem that we MUST address in the next few days...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm glad I completely pissed my pants in August.
I really don't have the energy, or urine, for an identical dance round the same handbag.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm glad I completely pissed my pants in August.
I really don't have the energy, or urine, for an identical dance round the same handbag.

You need to drink more water...

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Only two reasons I can see for cutting the squad down as we have and are continuing to do;

1. We are reducing the wage bill to bring one or more players in.

2. We are trying to lower the wage bill to comply with FFP.

I don't think it's option 2 at all as I cannot see us losing control of the costs. We've not done that in any other season, so why now? Why would we risk everything we have done to this point by weakening the squad and risking losing the auto spot by playing the rest of the season with just three forwards? We strengthened from a worse position last season, why would we not do so this time? Lastly, I cannot see a 1st choice permanent signing, as it would make no sense at this point. We should be looking either at a loan or a PLR striker, doubt we will want to spend the money on that until we are in the PL.

I'd expect a decent loan to compete with Baldock with possibly signing a lower league punt to boot if there is one out there, both forwards but probably only the loan to get game time.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Argus also says we could loan out Ince and Towell.

Very risky as the squad is already low on numbers and just 25 players strong.

Not sure we need to keep Ince as there are plenty of central midfielders ahead of him, he hardly made the bench even when Kayal was injured. Loaning out Towell could be a bad move though, I believe he could be an option if we need something different up front. I'd have liked to see him come on against Cardiff on Tuesday to help take some of the pressure off Hemed.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Only two reasons I can see for cutting the squad down as we have and are continuing to do;

1. We are reducing the wage bill to bring one or more players in.

2. We are trying to lower the wage bill to comply with FFP.

I don't think it's option 2 at all as I cannot see us losing control of the costs. We've not done that in any other season, so why now? Why would we risk everything we have done to this point by weakening the squad and risking losing the auto spot by playing the rest of the season with just three forwards? We strengthened from a worse position last season, why would we not do so this time? Lastly, I cannot see a 1st choice permanent signing, as it would make no sense at this point. We should be looking either at a loan or a PLR striker, doubt we will want to spend the money on that until we are in the PL.

I'd expect a decent loan to compete with Baldock with possibly signing a lower league punt to boot if there is one out there, both forwards but probably only the loan to get game time.

Spot on, fella. You should have posted this at the start of the window, and re-posted it regularly. Only four more days to go, and then we'll know where we are.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
There a number of possible reasons for being concerned that we might go into the crucial endgame with an inadequate squad to secure promotion.

1. Bloom has a track record of not supporting managers with enough money to get the right players - we need a big money striker like our competitors sign but we worry about FFP
2. Hughton was sacked by his last club because they thought he didn't have what it takes towards the end of the season
3. Albion are serial nearly men. We get close to promotion but don't get over the line.

Let's hope for some good news from the club soon.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
There a number of possible reasons for being concerned that we might go into the crucial endgame with an inadequate squad to secure promotion.

1. Bloom has a track record of not supporting managers with enough money to get the right players - we need a big money striker like our competitors sign but we worry about FFP
2. Hughton was sacked by his last club because they thought he didn't have what it takes towards the end of the season
3. Albion are serial nearly men. We get close to promotion but don't get over the line.

Let's hope for some good news from the club soon.

this is a wind up i asssume ?...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here