Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Do we need another striker? We have Murray, Hemed and Baldock. Skalak and Murphy can both play either off the main striker of behind him. Moreover, surely now is the time to promote Harper and Hambo to the first team. More than any other team in the Championship, we have versatile players, players that can switch positions seamlessly, and we should use that versatility and interchangeability to our advantage.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Do we need another striker? We have Murray, Hemed and Baldock. Skalak and Murphy can both play either off the main striker of behind him. Moreover, surely now is the time to promote Harper and Hambo to the first team. More than any other team in the Championship, we have versatile players, players that can switch positions seamlessly, and we should use that versatility and interchangeability to our advantage.
For me, Hemed is a good Championship striker. Most teams that go up have a great Championship striker. That could be Murray but age/injuries could be a factor. On the other hand, I will be very depressed if we go for a McCormack/Rhodes style 'throw money at it 'type striker. I will probably be in the minority but the thing I have always admired about Bloom is his refusal to go down this route with most signings having the long term in mind rather than an 'all-in' style signing. Ideally for me, we would get an Ulloa type player in from abroad for a relatively modest fee but you can't keep getting hidden gems. So if we go big money then I really hope it is a young prospect rather than a money grabbing flat track bully.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
To achieve that ambition of promotion I believe we need to be stronger than last season and as it stands we are not. We have issues in central defence which need addressing in the next two weeks. Going into this weekend we have one fit CB and no real indication of a return for Goldson although we all assume it will be pre Derby. Even then without additions we are a knock or a moment of Dunk madness away from possibly Bruno centrally and that is far from ideal for a upward looking team. I am hopeful this will addressed soon. As regards forwards Murray will score more than Zamora but again we are now back with Elvis fourth choice, not ideal. Not doubt another forward will arrive but I suspect it will be later in the window. We need to start well and being hampered but reduced choices will not help.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
To achieve that ambition of promotion I believe we need to be stronger than last season and as it stands we are not. We have issues in central defence which need addressing in the next two weeks. Going into this weekend we have one fit CB and no real indication of a return for Goldson although we all assume it will be pre Derby. Even then without additions we are a knock or a moment of Dunk madness away from possibly Bruno centrally and that is far from ideal for a upward looking team. I am hopeful this will addressed soon. As regards forwards Murray will score more than Zamora but again we are now back with Elvis fourth choice, not ideal. Not doubt another forward will arrive but I suspect it will be later in the window. We need to start well and being hampered but reduced choices will not help.

I agree with most of that but have a couple of points. Firstly, you have to bear in mind that the squad we finished the season with was only there half a season. So, by definition, if our squad by end of August is the same strength as the year before, then we will be stronger than the previous year. I agree re centre backs and, if posts earlier in this thread are correct, we're hopefully closer to finalising it.

In terms of forwards, if you look back over last season, we very rarely had four strikers available (if you exclude Manu). Zamora couldn't play until late August when O'Grady had gone on loan. By the time Wilson joined, Baldock was injured. Soon after Baldock came back, Zamora got injured so we generally had three (and sometimes two) strikers to choose from.

Cheggers

Jul 28, 2011
Bang! And the dirt is gone.
Nope. Step forward R. Towell of Dublin. :bowdown::albion:
Well, if he isn't going to play this season, it does beg a few questions. I can see us bringing another (possibly Perm experience) midfielder in and Towell going out on loan. Is it a 2 year contract he is on? Might be the same as O'Grady to get him off the payroll. Personally, I would like to see him play and see how good he is at this level.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Well, if he isn't going to play this season, it does beg a few questions. I can see us bringing another (possibly Perm experience) midfielder in and Towell going out on loan. Is it a 2 year contract he is on? Might be the same as O'Grady to get him off the payroll. Personally, I would like to see him play and see how good he is at this level.

I think he should have his shot for sure.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
14 days to get a Center Back.

2 needed if Dunk goes.

Singing today ? ???

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
2 weeks out from Derby away and still important additions needed. One fit CB, who is apparently subject to transfer bid and has previously (reportedly) not been shy in positioning to leave and two others unfit. Need additions now. Even if Goldson is fit soon he has 2 pre season games to be ready and coupled with a maybe distracted Dunk I would say we have issues there. Surprised it has taken this long since Greer was released and we always knew the German would not be ready.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Pinning our hopes on Towell stepping up to replace Stephens (if he goes) and Elvis suddenly coming good seems to me a very high risk strategy!

Doubt we're doing that. Even if Towell replaced Stephens in the first team, we would need another central midfield option. Will be interesting to see whether Stephens plays in one of the friendlies today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here