Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Seriously? We started last season with unknown quantity Hemed, Baldock and O'Grady as our strikeforce (Zamora was signed four days before the opening match but wasn't fit enough to make an appearance before league game 5, and didn't start until league game 9).

Even if we don't sign anyone else, we are a lot stronger in this department with Hemed (with a full season under his belt), Baldock and a fit and scoring Murray.
Well yes, I seriously believe that currently the strikers are weaker than than the start of last season.

ie

Zamora, Hemed, Baldock, O'Grady is stronger than Murray, Hemed, Baldock and no one.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Compared to START of last season :

Keepers - not better or worse

Full Backs - not better or worse

Center Backs - currently worse

Central Midfield - marginally better ? ( Sidwell, Towell > Crofts, JFC ??? )

Midfield Flanks - a lot better

Strikers - currently worse

At the start of last season, we'd not signed Goldson or Huhnemeier, they both arrived in August, so I'd say we're stronger there assuming Goldson is fit for the start of the season.

As others have said, up front we are also stronger as Zamora, once he'd signed, couldn't play until the end of August due to fitness.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Absolutely.
Bjordal is another who seems to be showing application and promise and could well make an early breakthrough.
I'd love to see a natural goalscorer come in but in possibly more concerned to add depth at centre back and in midfield
Its true that if we look at the CB situation at the moment all we can see is 2 fit CBs and one that is always injured. Luckily enough the 2 that are fit make a fantastic partnership that is more than capable at this level. The thing is, this is where we should be hoping and praying that the club has got its recruitment right at youth level and we should be looking at that 4th CB coming from the academy. even if it is the newly signed Ben Hall.

The reality is, if the Dunk and Goldson partnership played 40 of the 46 games (at the level they played at last season) and Hunnimeier was an adequate replacement the other 6 games, would we really be moaning that the 4th CB was from the academy and not someone we spent loads on or had loads of experience?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
At the start of last season, we'd not signed Goldson or Huhnemeier, they both arrived in August, so I'd say we're stronger there assuming Goldson is fit for the start of the season.

That is a fair point, we only had 2 Central Defenders on the books for the first game last year.

But we never had Zamora and O'Grady together. As soon as Zamora was able to feature, O'Grady was loaned out.

I don't think we can compare on the basis of who is fit or not as that can change in an instant.

I stick by my belief that the 4 strikers on the books at the start of last season are stronger as a group than the 3 we currently have.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Its true that if we look at the CB situation at the moment all we can see is 2 fit CBs and one that is always injured. Luckily enough the 2 that are fit make a fantastic partnership that is more than capable at this level. The thing is, this is where we should be hoping and praying that the club has got its recruitment right at youth level and we should be looking at that 4th CB coming from the academy. even if it is the newly signed Ben Hall.

The reality is, if the Dunk and Goldson partnership played 40 of the 46 games (at the level they played at last season) and Hunnimeier was an adequate replacement the other 6 games, would we really be moaning that the 4th CB was from the academy and not someone we spent loads on or had loads of experience?

An experienced CB as short term cover with Hunemeier and Goldson both out injured at this stage of of pre-season would be good insurance. Medium to long term Hall & Dallison should be developed but they will benefit from learning from someone who has seen it & done it so to speak. Personally I'd have kept Greer for another year as the cheap option on the understanding that if all went well injury and development wise he would never play.
In midfield I think Sidwell can cover Stephens in terms of positional play and graft but Kayal offers a creative spark combined with workload that we have no cover for at present.

Last edited:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Surely the question should be, are we stronger than the end of last season?

At the moment the answer is no.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Precisely my point. Greer was injured for the final game of 2015 (29 Dec) and up to that point was selected first ahead of Dunk and then, when Dunk got back in the side, ahead of Hunemeier. Greer was first choice centre back for August through December when he was injured. FIRST CHOICE for more than half the season. That does NOT constitute "making up the numbers"

I didn't say it did, but half the season isn't 'invariably'.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
That is a fair point, we only had 2 Central Defenders on the books for the first game last year.

I don't think we can compare on the basis of who is fit or not as that can change in an instant.

I stick by my belief that the 4 strikers on the books at the start of last season are stronger as a group than the 3 we currently have.

I'm not so sure that we were any better off last season, sriker wise. not in terms of quality anyway. Basically it's down to who do you think will score us most goals, Zamora or Murray.

Zamora in is heyday was unstoppable, we all know that, but last season at the advanced age of 35 his ageing body didn't allow him to play too many games.

Murray on the other hand is a few years younger, scores goals regularly, and most importantly, will get more game time. Minutes on the pitch equals more time to score goals.

O'Grady really doesn't come in to the equation, as he is away on a season long loan anyway, so no need to discuss his capabilities, or lack of them.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Personally I'd have kept Greer for another year as the cheap option on the understanding that if all went well injury and development wise he would never play.

Interesting Sales approach.

Now Gordon, I know that this next couple of years will be your last chance to play professional football at a reasonable level, but wait till your hear what i've got to offer ???

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Surely the main point is that we have to be a lot stronger than we were last season If we want to clinch promotion and last season we had a number of periods where had we had more players especially striker and midfield of quality of Stephens/Kayal we would have gone up. This season is only going to be harder.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
IMO we need 3 new players.

- A quality centre back
- Back up centre mid (defensive minded)
- A quality striker

We need the centre back in the next 2 weeks.

Agree with 90% of that....... However with Hemed and Murray already I'm not sure signing a high priced quality striker is required.

Hemed can score goals at this level as can Murray I think we are going to go for another £1m-£2m striker from abroad to add to them and Baldock.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I'm not so sure that we were any better off last season, sriker wise. not in terms of quality anyway. Basically it's down to who do you think will score us most goals, Zamora or Murray.

Zamora in is heyday was unstoppable, we all know that, but last season at the advanced age of 35 his ageing body didn't allow him to play too many games.

Murray on the other hand is a few years younger, scores goals regularly, and most importantly, will get more game time. Minutes on the pitch equals more time to score goals.

O'Grady really doesn't come in to the equation, as he is away on a season long loan anyway, so no need to discuss his capabilities, or lack of them.

Agree that Murray will score more goals than Bobby. The real interest for me is to see how we adjust to Hemed or Baldock playing off him as second striker? Add to that, Glenn has always been so good at heading the ball on for players running through so with our pace on the flanks I would expect one of our wingers to adopt a narrower role to take advantage.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Although I'd still like to see another quick striker, with Murray being such a good hold up player, I wonder if we may see Murphy or Skalak pushed up alongside as I believe they can also play that role

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I agree with this. At this point we are weaker than last season and point we need to take on we did not get promoted so what we need to be is stronger than last year. We need 4 good strikers , a mid-field player who is at same level as kaya/stephens assuming both stay and an experience centre back.

Although I'd still like to see another quick striker, with Murray being such a good hold up player, I wonder if we may see Murphy or Skalak pushed up alongside as I believe they can also play that role

Possibly if we do not bring in someone either permenant or on loan. As has been suggested I would be happy with Wilson Akpong or similar on loan or Vydra permenant

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
The main problem with young loans from the Prem,is that they are expected to play. I would take a punt on a purchase of potential,OK Manu,it seems has not come off(,maybe worth another go),Hambro,might already be the one !!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here